Motion Sickness

TirNaNog

I never used to have any problems with motion sickness, but as a result of taking oral chemo, I seem to have developed a sensitivity. The last couple of ocean cruises resulted in my having a limited appetite and incurring as much as a ten pound weight loss. I always have had an interest in river cruising and wonder if that provides a smoother ride that lessens the chance of motion sickness..

• 1 month later...
I never used to have any problems with motion sickness, but as a result of taking oral chemo, I seem to have developed a sensitivity. The last couple of ocean cruises resulted in my having a limited appetite and incurring as much as a ten pound weight loss. I always have had an interest in river cruising and wonder if that provides a smoother ride that lessens the chance of motion sickness..

Hi, I have taken 7 ocean cruises and 3 river cruises and I have found river cruises to be a lot smoother. I checked with American Queen Steamboat Company and they told me the boats are usually cruising at 4-6 MPH. It is difficult traveling when you have motion sickness. I get sick just traveling in the back seat of a vehicle.

I have had this problem most of my life and I used to take Dramine, but it makes me very drowsy. The patches did not work for me, I felt very dizzy and my sight was very blurry. You name it and I have tried it, Ginger, wrist bands, etc. I have also tried Non-Drowsy Dramine and Bonine, these worked ok for me, but not as well as Meclizine.

About 8 years ago a friend recommended Meclizine ( it was first introduced for use by chemo patients for nausea) and it has really changed traveling for me. Since than we have taken 7 ocean cruises, 3 river cruises, train trips and many bus tours without my having motion problems.

You used to have to have a prescription to purchase, Meclizine, but now can purchase it over-the-counter, in the pharmacy in most states. It costs about $5-7. for 100 tablets. You take just 1-2 tablets every 24 hrs.

Please check with your doctor or ask a pharmacist if this is something you can take. Do not take my suggestion or any others without checking it out first.

I would also suggest you take whatever you decide on trying before taking a trip, just to see how your body responds. You really don't want to wait until you are on a trip to try something out.

Hope this helps you with future traveling.

The AMERICAN QUEEN is very smooth. You could possibly feel vibration from either the paddlewheel or more likely the Z-drives, but as far as any rocking or pitching of the vessel, I have never experienced any on her.