EPIC - Balcony bathroom privacy issues

jp2001

Good morning,

I have cruised with NCL quite a bit but mostly Dawn and Jewel Class, never their newer bigger ships.

I'm almost booked on the EPIC TA but then I remembered the ''bathroom'' layout of the balcony cabins.

I am 36 yr old (female) and travelling with a lady friend in her 80's and the bathroom privacy issue concerns me.

While I don't mind the layout too much, my friend probably won't be comfortable in this open layout.

Did NCL do anything to lesser this issue? Did they add a curtain or are the glass doors for toilet and shower very frosted?

It seems like inside cabins and minisuites have a curtain but my friend won't cruise in an inside cabin and mini suites are quite expensive compared to balcony right now.

Of course I'll try to give as much privacy to my friend as I can (like going outside the cabin when she showers) but still... what would you do in my situation?

The curtain does fine to hide visuals. It does nothing to hide toilet sounds and such. If this is going to be a problem for her, you might want a different ship. Like someone else said, you can just step out on the balcony or something if she wants more privacy.

• 5 months later...

Since you mentioned you are traveling with an older person, I would add that the one really BIG benefit of the arrangement is that there is no step up into the shower or toilet. This was really a big improvement IMHO and I never felt like I was going to kill myself in the middle of the night.

We just got off the Epic on Aug. 30. I had read a great deal about the bathroom configuration, but was still willing to give it a try.

I, for one, felt that the bathrooms are completely screwy!! Yes, if you're a couple in the cabin, you can deal with just about anything. There is a somewhat frosted glass covering the tiny shower, but you basically have to step out into the cabin to dry off. Also, the flimsy sliding glass door to the toilet area does nothing to reduce the extremely LOUD toilet-flushing sound--especially in the middle of the night. Yes, there is a curtain that you can pull across to separate the toilet/shower area. But, this also prevents anyone from entering the cabin or leaving. Finally, you use the restroom at nighttime and have to wash your hands in the sink in the middle of the cabin!

It's pretty obvious I didn't like this set-up at all. It was a great cruise through Italy, France, Spain, but I wouldn't go on the Epic ever again.

Edited by sunnylasvegas

We just got off the Epic on Aug. 30. I had read a great deal about the bathroom configuration, but was still willing to give it a try.

I, for one, felt that the bathrooms are completely screwy!! Yes, if you're a couple in the cabin, you can deal with just about anything. There is a somewhat frosted glass covering the tiny shower, but you basically have to step out into the cabin to dry off. Also, the flimsy sliding glass door to the toilet area does nothing to reduce the extremely LOUD toilet-flushing sound--especially in the middle of the night. Yes, there is a curtain that you can pull across to separate the toilet/shower area. But, this also prevents anyone from entering the cabin or leaving. Finally, you use the restroom at nighttime and have to wash your hands in the sink in the middle of the cabin!

It's pretty obvious I didn't like this set-up at all. It was a great cruise through Italy, France, Spain, but I wouldn't go on the Epic ever again.

The sink part does make me laugh. We all know we should wash our hands after using the toilet. With the Epic set up you will have to touch the door handle before you can wash your hands. For me its unhygienic. I have been in homes where the toilet and the bathtub are separate, but there has always been a sink in the toilet room.

Just weird.

Rochelle

The sink part does make me laugh. We all know we should wash our hands after using the toilet. With the Epic set up you will have to touch the door handle before you can wash your hands. For me its unhygienic. I have been in homes where the toilet and the bathtub are separate, but there has always been a sink in the toilet room.

Just weird.

Rochelle

Most homes in our community have a separate toilet room from the main part of the bathroom where the sinks and the shower stalls are located. These are upscale homes. After using the toilet, one exits the toilet room and goes to the sink to wash hands.

Think about this.....when using a public restroom, you must exit the toilet stall by opening the door and touching the door hardware. Then you proceed to the public sink and wash your hands.

Many hotels have toilet rooms with are completely separate from the sink. You must touch the door handle to exit the toilet room in a hotel, then go to the sink which is located in the hotel room to wash your hands.

Same with the Epic bathroom set up. I LOVED it.

I thought this topic had been flushed down the drain many months ago.

Yes, this subject has been hashed, rehashed and rehashed again. But, having said that, there are folks who are being exposed to the balcony bathrooms on Epic for the first time. Hence....more discussion about this subject.

Edited by coffeebean