Favorite selection from always available menu

DAYLILLY

We are leaving soon (yay!) and I was wondering which items might be good on the always available list. Are the flounder and steak good choices? I'm sure everything will seem great to me since I've been dieting for the cruise. Thanks for any opinions.

Any Steak in Cagneys is my favourite, truffle fries at lunch time are Truly amazing to accompany this. And don't forget a rye and ginger ale to rinse it down. For dinner get the Au Gratin potatoes these are not for sharing, a smaller portion that you will want all to yourself!!

*Living large one week at a time*

We are leaving soon (yay!) and I was wondering which items might be good on the always available list. Are the flounder and steak good choices? I'm sure everything will seem great to me since I've been dieting for the cruise. Thanks for any opinions.

We have tried the steak twice, both times it was awful. We love the Salmon, but it sounds like maybe it has been replaced by the flounder. I am sure, regardless that would be a good choice. Also we like the Ceasar salad or and the egg or spring rolls if they still offer them. BTW, if you want a baked potato I think you just have to ask the wait person and they will get you one.

You were referring to the main dining room, right? Not CAgney's of a specialty dining room if I understand your question?

Edited by newmexicoNita

Yes, thanks, I was referring to the MDR. Should have mentioned that. Yes the flounder has replaced the salmon. I was just looking for a good go-to option in case the daily options didn't look appealing. Thanks again!

Let's face it, it's pretty hard to mess up pasta.

Whilst pasta is pretty hard to mess up, some people (including my wife) will say that they manage it in La Cucina.

Having said that, I think the pasta dishes in the MDR are pretty good. They are what I order if no daily specials appeal.

Disclaimer - NCL food opinions are highly, highly, highly subjective, including taste, look & presentation, etc, FWIW.

The everyday specials in the MDR, given the newest menu (which we haven't sampled yet - since 2014) from what I know, I will most likely go with the flounder - will miss the Salmon fillet (it's a more expensive serving, of course) but won't miss/care for the strip cut "steak" - from years ago, it was a sirloin grade but nowadays, a very tough & chew one per BIL (both as daily lunch & dinner option) My lunch favorite salmon burger is now a salmon & shrimp salad burger, will probably still enjoy it - given the other selections. We will know for sure by this time next week. That's my takeaway, YMMV. :D

Said no Italian ever....pasta is really really easy to mess up.

I agree, I have had messed pasta several times.

I'm confused on the new menu's. There's no always available anymore?

Apparently, "Always Available" dinner selections in the MDR has been replaced by "Classic Dishes" fleetwide - like this one - scroll down, bottom left & zoom it to read, not a great image, but it's clear enough to read. These are from the BA 2015 sailing, FWIW.

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/man_1.pdf

Apparently, "Always Available" dinner selections in the MDR has been replaced by "Classic Dishes" fleetwide - like this one - scroll down, bottom left & zoom it to read, not a great image, but it's clear enough to read. These are from the BA 2015 sailing, FWIW.

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/man_1.pdf

Thank you!!!!!

The steak is better than they used to be. My daughter (11) ate the steak every night except 1 on our 7 day cruise on the Dawn, and they were excellent steaks. They aren't as good as Cagney's, but they were good.

Now, the year before on the Jewel, you could see the whip marks from the jockey! ;)

I don't know if it's on the new menu, but the old everyday one used to have an amazing lamb shank. Definitely one of my favorite things. I also love the pesto pasta and Caesar Salad with anchovies (you can ALWAYS request these).

Whilst pasta is pretty hard to mess up, some people (including my wife) will say that they manage it in La Cucina.

Having said that, I think the pasta dishes in the MDR are pretty good. They are what I order if no daily specials appeal.

I am surprised to hear what you say about La Cucina. Just recently we know 4 different groups who have sailed 4 different NCL ships and all said La Cucina food was very good. We haven't eaten there is years so I am just going by what they said. I will be anxious to try them on the Pearl in a few weeks. And as someone said, food is so subjective. I think the basic steak is awful in the MDR, our foster daughter who doesn't like meat anyway except well done, eats it 1/2 the time on any cruise.