Auto Gratuity At Specialty Restaurant Implemented

Thank you!

Any explanation as to why?

Harriet

When the new CEO (I think) said he wanted people sailing NCL to pay $4 per day more to pay for the construction of new ship, I didn't picture being that way.......

edit: If is it that, I rather they had raise the cover charge instead charging 18% and claiming it 'tips' because that a clear cut case of lying plus double dipping...

Edited by maywell

and still no word from NCL. That annoys me more than anything else!

Agree.

Not to mention it was asked many times on Norwegian's FB page and was always ignored even though NCL has answered and replied to others.

Not to mention that it was tweeted many times yesterday and was never answered.

Hopefully, someone asked about it at the M&G or at the Q&A they have with the officers and will report back here.

Harriet

When the new CEO (I think) said he wanted people sailing NCL to pay $4 per day more to pay for the construction of new ship, I didn't picture being that way.......

But this way is discriminatory. Only those that eat in specialty restaurants are going to pay for the new ship? LOL

Harriet

But this way is discriminatory. Only those that eat in specialty restaurants are going to pay for the new ship? LOL

Harriet

But it also gives the passengers a choice. They can choose to pay the 18 percent or not go to the specialty restaurants or (if it is correct that it is not included in the UDP) purchase the UDP or as some have said they will do, deduct it from the DSC. So no one really has to pay this, if they disagree with the policy.

Harriet

Discriminatory? No. Underhanded, alienating to the point of extremely nickel & diming on while obviously not serving it supposed intend purpose? Yes. And I'm bit peeve about that because clearly the waitstaff is not going to receive that 'tip' at all. Would had been more smarter to raise the cover charge prices than tack on a 18% 'tip' which is clearly about $4-5 and if a person is eating everyday due to the UDP - Obviously the CEO is going to get his wish, but at what cost? I sense a backlash because of the underhandedness of how it was done plus the DSC being raised at practically the same month.

But it also gives the passengers a choice. They can choose to pay the 18 percent or not go to the specialty restaurants or (if it is correct that it is not included in the UDP) purchase the UDP or as some have said they will do, deduct it from the DSC. So no one really has to pay this, if they disagree with the policy.

It will be included in the UDP, however, it's not for the promo they have with the free UDP.

Harriet

So if you take UDP as a promo perk you are going to be charged 18% of the cover charge still?

No, it is my understanding that if you take the UDP as the promo you will not be charged the 18% gratuity. If you purchase it on your own, you will be charged.

Harriet

No, it is my understanding that if you take the UDP as the promo you will not be charged the 18% gratuity. If you purchase it on your own, you will be charged.

Harriet

Hi Harriet,

How do you know the difference between the two? I am not happy about this added tip.

Johan

So if you take UDP as a promo perk you are going to be charged 18% of the cover charge still?

I don't understand how that works. I just checked both of my reservations. I can purchase the UDP for $119 pp. There is no 18% gratuity in that. Since I already have the UBP, I wouldn't expect a bill at dinner. Where are they sticking the 18%?

We on this forum know dsc is adjustable, many do not especially if they're first time cruisers. Companies like NCL rely on their consumers to be ignorant and/or complacent and hope they just pay it without knowing any better. I gave them the benefit of the doubt about dsc but this is pretty low. It's also sneaky the way they decided to implement this without formal announcement. Hard to justify this since they just increased the dsc. Their silence on social media speaks volumes of their intent. Is this from FDR or new ncl ceo Andy Stuart? Somehow I think Andy will get the axe when and if things don't go according to plan.

Let's see if NCL passengers are smart enough to push back by not dining at these restaurants or be the suckers every corporation looks for in their business in the name of profit.

I knew changes would come with new leadership but this is too much too fast. I am sure the bottom line will look great at least for the next 2 quarters. After that who knows, maybe the freestyle promo will need to be permanent to sustain current booking levels because I won't book without it unless it's super cheap. How a company does it's business also says a lot about how they treat their employees. Would anyone be surprised if they lost the good staff down the road? I already experience staff who are under trained and understaff but yet asked to pay more for their salary.

I don't understand how that works. I just checked both of my reservations. I can purchase the UDP for $119 pp. There is no 18% gratuity in that. Since I already have the UBP, I wouldn't expect a bill at dinner. Where are they sticking the 18%?

I have no idea. But the UK site also states there will be an 18% gratuity on the UDP.

Harriet

It could be their IT department hasn't caught up yet. I just hope udp from promo works the same way ubp promo does. No additional tips on bill you sign. Otherwise, this is a gamechanger for me as i would not have chosen udp but the $200 obc.

I sense a backlash because of the underhandedness of how it was done plus the DSC being raised at practically the same month.
That is the strategy: let people book with great promos, give away lots of free UBP, free UDP, free DSC, and then introduce a ton of price hikes on drinks, dining, and tips. Yes, there may be a backlash, but people have their promos, and a lot of the price increases won't affect them at all. Most people (not on CC) won't make a huge stink for the principle of the thing. In fact, if NCL raise the prices, that increases the value of the perks they are giving away: your great deal just got greater.

And of course it's a good idea to introduce all the price hikes at the same time instead of spreading them out over several months. The backlash would be never-ending. This way, there will be rioting in the streets of CC for a few weeks, but eventually, everyone will get used to the idea of the new prices.

We on this forum know dsc is adjustable, many do not especially if they're first time cruisers. Companies like NCL rely on their consumers to be ignorant and/or complacent and hope they just pay it without knowing any better. I gave them the benefit of the doubt about dsc but this is pretty low. It's also sneaky the way they decided to implement this without formal announcement. Hard to justify this since they just increased the dsc. Their silence on social media speaks volumes of their intent. Is this from FDR or new ncl ceo Andy Stuart? Somehow I think Andy will get the axe when and if things don't go according to plan.

Let's see if NCL passengers are smart enough to push back by not dining at these restaurants or be the suckers every corporation looks for in their business in the name of profit.

I knew changes would come with new leadership but this is too much too fast. I am sure the bottom line will look great at least for the next 2 quarters. After that who knows, maybe the freestyle promo will need to be permanent to sustain current booking levels because I won't book without it unless it's super cheap. How a company does it's business also says a lot about how they treat their employees. Would anyone be surprised if they lost the good staff down the road? I already experience staff who are under trained and understaff but yet asked to pay more for their salary.

Funny you mentioned that. We are introducing 4 cabins of cruisers to NCL with one of our upcoming trips. They are used to the traditional type of cruise, with eating in the MDR each night. I was going to suggest one or two specialty restaurants, but there's no way I'm doing it now - strictly on principle. I never complain about raised prices, fees, etc. This though, solely because of the way they did it, irks me to no end, and I refuse to give them one dime more.

Edited by SissasMomE

Funny you mentioned that. We are introducing 4 cabins of cruisers to NCL with one of our upcoming trips. They are used to the traditional type of cruise, with eating in the MDR each night. I was going to suggest one or two specialty restaurants, but there's no way I'm doing it now - strictly on principle. I never complain about raised prices, fees, etc. This though, solely because of the way they did it, irks me to no end, and I refuse to give them one dime more.

I so agree. We don't sail until December so plenty of time for me to find what will happen with udp from promo.