Dolphins on Mahogany Bay

Sigyn

We're on Carnival and will be visiting Mahogany Bay. I'm considering the dolphin encounter vs. the dolphin swim at this port and trying to figure out which is best for us. I noticed that the swim is off a pier or something like that, and the encounter is walking into the water from the sandy beach, which sounds nicer. Also, the timing of each are different, both only last 2.5 hours, tho. One starts at noon, the other at 10 a.m.

What else is there to do on Mahogany Bay before/after dolphin swim or encounter? There are two adults and three kids (ages 7, 12, 14) in our family.

Thanks!

Dolphin Swim excursion is not at Mahogany Bay, it's at Anthony's Key which is up in Sandy Bay along the other coast of Roatan. It's not a long drive though. And they do a good job at Anthony's in caring for all their sea life. If your family wants to have a good opportunity to swim with the dolphins, Anthony's is certainly a better spot, IMO than Chankanaab in Cozumel.

Mahogany Bay is on a small shallow cove with a silty bottom that was dredged for cruise ship depth. There is NOT enough water or acreage in the cove to sustain dolphins or other sea life.

I would assume that after your excursion, you'll be returned to MBCC.

There are plenty of posts on the facilities and amenities at Mahogany Bay. Shopping, beach with loungers, some snorkeling (but more like wearing your snorkel gear while swimming than seeing any measurable sea life, you can rent kayaks, clam shells, there's restaurants and bars too.

On my last visit to Mahogany Bay I was walking over the bridge to the beach. Looking to the left you clearly can see a multi unit pen enclosure. My guess it was for dolphins, any insight ?

Must be new. I haven't been there in a couple of years. DW was there last spring and they've opened this Blue Lagoon setup since then. Not an ideal place for dolphins, IMO, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, thanks. There are two separate dolphin excursions for Mahogany Bay. One is an "encounter" and one is a "swim" and they are at two different locations. I'm not sure what the difference is.

The Dolphin Encounter/Dolphin Swim is at AKR (Anthony's Key Resort) and is well worth the $$. We lived in Roatan for 4 years and at a charity event I was the high bidder on the Dolphin Swim and it was so special. AKR is devoted to the research and care of their dolphins - this experience is not like those at other cruise ports (much more personalized with smaller groups so that the dolphins do not get stressed). Highly recommend - book this through your cruise line.

When I go to Anthony's Key website the only available dates for dolphin swims are Monday's and Tuesday's. Is this because they are the official Carnival excursion? I am trying to decide between this and Victor Bodden tour. If I don't swim with dolphins in Roatan then my only option is Belize and I don't know if they have any good excursions there. I guess that is my next piece of research.

When I go to Anthony's Key website the only available dates for dolphin swims are Monday's and Tuesday's. Is this because they are the official Carnival excursion? I am trying to decide between this and Victor Bodden tour. If I don't swim with dolphins in Roatan then my only option is Belize and I don't know if they have any good excursions there. I guess that is my next piece of research.

If I am understanding the web site correctly, the Dolphin swim and snorkle has more day options. Perhaps try booking that excursion. I have talked with many people who have done this and all say it is an amazing once in a life time thing.

I know they limit the number of people and encounters with the dolphins.

I am very confused by the possibility of dolphins in Mahogany Bay.. were did they come from, who is caring or them and all kinds of things come to mind. Anthony's Key has been around and had there research center for ages.

The dolphin encounter in Belize is just that, an encounter. choreographed by the trainers. If it's the Hugh Parkey Adventure excursion, it's on a caye where the dolphins are kept in a lagoon. They were born in Roatan BTW, probably at AKR. There are a couple of U-tube vids and a blog review of the encounter if you google dolphin encounter Belize. No idea of price or quality of the excursion.

We did the Dolphin swim and snorkel at Anthony's last April. We wanted to do it again this year but it was all booked up by the time we checked on it - thru the cruise line and thru their site directly. The setting is so beautiful. The excursion included walking into the water from a beach (not a platform), a 30 minute encounter where the dolphin does the usual tricks, your photos are taken w/ a dolphin kiss etc, and then you get your snorkel gear from the beach and get to snorkel with the pod of dolphins for 30 minutes. It was so cool! You don't get to do that at the other dolphin places!

We did the Dolphin swim and snorkel at Anthony's last April. We wanted to do it again this year but it was all booked up by the time we checked on it - thru the cruise line and thru their site directly. The setting is so beautiful. The excursion included walking into the water from a beach (not a platform), a 30 minute encounter where the dolphin does the usual tricks, your photos are taken w/ a dolphin kiss etc, and then you get your snorkel gear from the beach and get to snorkel with the pod of dolphins for 30 minutes. It was so cool! You don't get to do that at the other dolphin places!

Do you recall the price for pics or do they allow cameras? The one in Cozumel is ridiculously priced (like 150+) for pics for 2 & no cameras allowed.