Nautica stuck in Shanghai

MVPinBoynton

We are on the Nautica and were supposed to leave Shanghai last night for Japan; but the port has been shut down due to fog at the mouth of the river. We are much better off than the Seven Seas Voyager who is anchored outside the mouth waiting to get to Shanghai. At least we have a view of the lovely Pudong area right across from our ship.

Mike,

I hope that you are enjoying the R ship experience as much as you enjoyed the O ship.

Look forward to your usual detailed trip report with many beautiful pictures (after the fog finally clears :D)

Enjoy!

Mike, has it been cold in Shanghai as well as foggy? When out touring did you need a warm coat or was a light jacket enough?

I think Shanghai will be the coolest stop on our SE Asia cruise from Singapore.

I very much enjoyed your report of your Azamara cruise in that area a few years ago. Will look forward to hearing of your latest adventures.

Sella

We finally left Shanghai 20.5 hours late.

Paul,

We are enjoying Nautica as much as we enjoyed Regatta last year. An excellent friendly staff

Sella,

Shanghai was cool the first two days; but was a warm 74 the last day. Just a great 3 day port stop.

Edited by MVPinBoynton

One of the great cities of the world, Shanghai! But I suppose you were stuck on board and not allowed to disembark? And really too bad for the Voyager passengers... what a frustrating experience!

It is indeed! We were glad to have the extra night to view the beautifully lighted structures. It was the clearest of our 3 nights there. Great photo opp. I would have hated to miss a day in Shanghai like the Regent passengers.

Mike, are there any itinerary changes going forward because of the delay?

We are missing the port of Ishigaki and going directly to Okinawa. Since Ishigaki was just a day at the beach, us South Floridian's didn't mind missing it too much.

Yes it does; but we have had a great cruise so far. I can think of a lot worse places to be stuck.

I completely agree. We enjoyed Shanghai very much when we were there with Viking. Our only regret was that we didn't have more time there ... it was about a day and a half even though on our itinerary it looked like two days. Not nearly enough time.

We saw a traffic sign that gave us the giggles: a bunch of Chinese glyphs and then the admonition: 5-7! We had no idea if it was a prohibition or permission ...

Mura

I completely agree. We enjoyed Shanghai very much when we were there with Viking. Our only regret was that we didn't have more time there ... it was about a day and a half even though on our itinerary it looked like two days. Not nearly enough time.

We saw a traffic sign that gave us the giggles: a bunch of Chinese glyphs and then the admonition: 5-7! We had no idea if it was a prohibition or permission ...

Mura

We also got a laugh from some of the road signs. I took photos of some of them to put in our review.

We first visited China in 1985 when Beijing and Shanghai were unmistakably Chinese as were the people in their blue and green Mao suits riding on billions of bicycles and no skyscrapers in sight.

Today these cities are universally "one-world" as are the people wearing the latest Parisian and Milano fashions and shopping at D & G, Versace and driving BMWs & Mercedes. :D

Oh well, progress must go on - I guess. I understand all that and there is no reason why Chinese people should live in the last century - yet part of me misses the old China. That said, it is interesting to see the enormity of the changes with super highways and bullet trains (that even we do not yet have).

I wonder if the Chinese miss the "old" China?

My guess (only a guess) would be that some do (probably the older generation that is out of the work force now) and others don't (the young ones with a future ahead of them). This is probably also the case for many former communist countries of Eastern Europe.

I am glad I had the chance to see the "old" China as well as the new one (I am sounding more like my "old" parents with every passing year - I thought that this would never happen when I was 20 :D).

Edited by Paulchili

I wonder if the Chinese miss the "old" China?

In the late '90s, my husband and I were in Xi'an, China and we saw an elderly woman walking, supported on either side by a daughter. Having dealt with elderly parents, I was struck by the amount of help the woman appeared to need so I continued to look as discreetly as I could. The woman's feet had been bound. Now, her lack of mobility made sense.

The Chinese were staring far more openly.