Splendida in Tunisia today

Host Jacquelyn

Hi all, I have spoken with MSC this morning, and they said not to worry, as all itineraries have now been redone today. We will now go straight from Malta to Mallorca, arriving there at 9pm and leaving at 5am to head for Barcelona as planned. They were really lovely and reassuring. I guess that means that there won't be any opportunity to depart the ship at Mallorca, and will be treated as a sea day instead? Miller, I hope your family are all ok and not too frightened by the situation.

Miller, I hope your family are all ok and not too frightened by the situation.

Yes, they are all ok. Shocked but ok.

Meanwhile there was some kind of a press conference where they told the passengers about the vicitims. The atmosphere is pretty depressed. Some passengers critisized the information policy on board. But I think this is difficult. As far as I understood it right, the passengers now know the same than we do. Only 3 hours later.

We are on a cruise in Juli with Fantasia, do you think they cancel all the stops for the next few months in Tunisia?

So they go from Malta direct to Mallorca?

We planned in Tunisia a pool day, because in the summer it is to hot in the city.

Also when we cruised last year (September with Splendida) to Tunisia we stayed at the ship because our room neighbor said that the austria government gave warning.

But here in switzerland i nothing heard, about this warning.

Claudia

We are on a cruise in Juli with Fantasia, do you think they cancel all the stops for the next few months in Tunisia?

So they go from Malta direct to Mallorca?

We planned in Tunisia a pool day, because in the summer it is to hot in the city.

Also when we cruised last year (September with Splendida) to Tunisia we stayed at the ship because our room neighbor said that the austria government gave warning.

But here in switzerland i nothing heard, about this warning.

Claudia

(8 a.m. EDT) -- MSC Cruises and Costa Cruises have cancelled all port stops to Tunisia for the rest of the year following the terrorist attack in the capital yesterday (March 18th).

Three MSC ships -- including MSC Splendida, which left Tunis this morning -- will instead call at Valetta, Malta; Palma, Mallorca and Cagliari, Sardinia.

Costa has also cancelled all remaining 39 port stops to the country, but has yet to confirm where its six ships will call in at instead.

Four other lines -- P&O Cruises, Oceania, Holland America Line and Princess Cruises -- have ships scheduled to call in at Tunis this year. Cruise Critic has contacted the lines and will update this story with any information we receive.

MSC Splendida will call at Valletta, MSC Fantasia will call in at Palma and MSC Preziosa, will call in at Cagliari.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6257

#msc eliminates tunis from their routes:

- #mscsplendida will stopover in malta.

- #mscfantasia will stopover in palma de mallorca ;

- #mscpreziosa will stopover in cagliari.

Edited by Mikesa1721

(8 a.m. EDT) -- MSC Cruises and Costa Cruises have cancelled all port stops to Tunisia for the rest of the year following the terrorist attack in the capital yesterday (March 18th).

Three MSC ships -- including MSC Splendida, which left Tunis this morning -- will instead call at Valetta, Malta; Palma, Mallorca and Cagliari, Sardinia.

Costa has also cancelled all remaining 39 port stops to the country, but has yet to confirm where its six ships will call in at instead.

Four other lines -- P&O Cruises, Oceania, Holland America Line and Princess Cruises -- have ships scheduled to call in at Tunis this year. Cruise Critic has contacted the lines and will update this story with any information we receive.

MSC Splendida will call at Valletta, MSC Fantasia will call in at Palma and MSC Preziosa, will call in at Cagliari.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6257

#msc eliminates tunis from their routes:

- #mscsplendida will stopover in malta.

- #mscfantasia will stopover in palma de mallorca ;

- #mscpreziosa will stopover in cagliari.

I'm guessing this means Divina will be stopping over in Sardinia, since the other two ports are already a part of my itinerary. I'm disappointed to not be abLe to visit Tunisia but safety is important and paramount.

I'm guessing this means Divina will be stopping over in Sardinia, since the other two ports are already a part of my itinerary. I'm disappointed to not be abLe to visit Tunisia but safety is important and paramount.

No word yet on Divina's alternate port Jenna,,,I'm sure MSC Cruises USA will release that information sometime today though.

I was in Paris last week. I'll be honest, there was a vibe going on in Paris that made me feel somewhat uncomfortable, particularly around Notre Dame and Gare Du Nord. They have closed all but the main entrance to Pere Lachaise and are searching vehicles and stopping people with anything larger than a medium sized messenger bag or backpack for search.

There is an elevated para-military police presence in London with many police armed with automatic weapons. There are two officers stationed outside the French Embassy with machine guns from around 6:00 am until 6:00 pm daily, and a heightened presence in many other areas.

We made a connection in Paris in January, we got screened four times, the last time everyone was searched prior to boarding the plane . Officers with machine guns all over the place a bit scary.

We made a connection in Paris in January, we got screened four times, the last time everyone was searched prior to boarding the plane . Officers with machine guns all over the place a bit scary.

My experience prior to the attacks in Paris was the same; whereas, Italy was a completely difference experience and hope they've changed their procedures.

It sucks that it is so easy for the terrorists to win. Their sole purpose of these targeted attacks was to disrupt tourism to Tunisia, and since cruises are being canceled, they have succeeded. I wish it could be handled differently instead of handing them exactly what they want, but I can't think of how.

My condolences to all affected by this act of terror.

It sucks that it is so easy for the terrorists to win.

When terrorist groups start to put their time, money and energy into finding a cure for a deadly disease, when they start to be innovative with ideas and products that benefit other's lives other than their own, when they build universities and support education, when they protect the antiquities of their region, and celebrate life instead of death, then they will win.

Latest announcement from the MSC facebook page:

MSC Cruises statement: Last missing MSC Splendida guests accounted for

MSC Cruises sadly confirms that, based on the information now available, 12 MSC Cruises guests were killed in yesterday’s tragic terrorist attack in Tunis (nationalities: 2 Colombians, 3 French, 3 Japanese, 2 Spanish, 1 British and 1 Belgian).

13 MSC Cruises guests are confirmed as injured (nationalities: 1 Belgian, 7 French, 4 Japanese and 1 South African), two in a serious condition.

The last two missing guests, Spanish couple Cristina Rubio Benlloch and Juan Carlos Sanchez Oltra, were found safe and sound after a night in hiding at the Bardo National Museum, Cristina, who is pregnant, was immediately taken into hospital for observation. Both her and the child are reported well.

Pierfrancesco Vago, Executive Chairman of MSC Cruises, today met injured guests and their families to ensure that they are receiving all necessary assistance. He has also met the Tunisian Minister of Tourism, Ms. Salma Elloumi Rekik. At the meeting, the Minister confirmed that, in conjunction with yesterday’s tragic events, a total of 20 people died, seven of whom have yet to be identified.

According to a report by The Telegraph, it was MSC employees who found the missing couple who had hiding in the museum overnight...

"11.38 James Badcock in Madrid reports on the two Spanish tourists who hid in the museum all of last night to escape the terrorists:

Quote Two Spanish tourists who had been missing since Wednesday’s terrorist attack in Tunis have been found safe and well, according to the Spanish government. Diplomatic sources told El País newspaper that the two survivors are a couple from the Valencia region. The woman has been taken to a hospital for a check-up as she is pregnant.

Earlier on Thursday, the company the couple had travelled with, MSC Cruises, said the pair had been found in the Bardo museum, where they has spent the entire night hiding. They had not even dared to use their mobile phones for fear of attracting the attention of the terrorists.

The Spanish Embassy in Tunis had been coordinating a search for the couple after they did not return to their cruise ship on Wednesday evening. But there was no sign of them in the city’s hotels or hospitals. In the end, MSC employees went to the museum and found the couple in their hideout."

- copied from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/tunisia/11479898/Tunisia-attack-tourists-taken-hostage-at-museum-near-Tunis-parliament-live.html

Kudos to those MSC employees for a job well done! -Salacia

I don't really get why that Spanish couple had to be found by MSC employees instead of some kind of authority from Tunisia :confused: Anyway, they are safe and that's what it counts. Unfortunately another elderly Spanish couple died :( They attacked an Spanish speaking group it seems.

On the other hand the Costa ship is now crossing the Mediterranean sea and will reach Mallorca by tomorrow. I guess press will be waiting to interview passengers.

I believe that all companies will avoid docking in Tunisia from now on. Even if they do, you would be safe on board of the ship. So don't stop looking foward to your cruise!

I think a few guys with AK's could easily overcome the port security, go aboard a ship, and kill hundreds of defenseless guests (limited only by the amount of ammo they can carry). I agree with other posters that suggest not stopping at a port where there's an active insurgency.

Edited by Guerre

MSC still lists the 9/26 sailing from Rome with a stop in Tunisia but it's likely too far out that they need to satisfy and secure immediate stops elsewhere than something six months out. My dad is a very worrisome traveler as is and we've been trying to keep him away from the TV because he will freak if he knows this was on our itinerary.

I just can't stop thinking how awful this is. American media focuses on the terrorists and every other non American source the people and that is gut wrenching.

Awful News. It is so sad for all those poor families affected. My thoughts are with them.

Tunisia is a beautiful country, so much history culture and wonderful ancient cities to visit. We have Tunisian friends and I know they will be horrified and saddened by yesterdays events. The economy there will be affected, its a major holiday destination for us in the UK, France and the rest of Europe. Perhaps that is what ISIS wants, a depleted economy and more dissatisfied idealist group.

I am sure MSC and Costa like every other cruise line will have their passenger safety first and foremost before costs to themselves. Both their gun lockers are well equipped, as are most cruise liners, in case of attack.

I don't really get why that Spanish couple had to be found by MSC employees instead of some kind of authority from Tunisia :confused:
I think you have to keep in mind that this couple were hiding from men with guns dressed in military garb. For all they knew, the building was now crawling with gunmen going from room to room killing everyone. If Tunisian police or military personnel entered the room where they were hiding, how would they know these were "good guys"? I would have been terrified and continued hiding.