viking

fb0075

No

they did NOT!!! this was the problem---very reduced menu and no other venu to eat.

frank

Frank, it is apparent that this cruise was an absolute disaster, based on your expectations and some issues that left a very bad taste for both you and your wife.

But it seems this sailing on Avalon was in October 2012 and a very long long time ago based on how far River cruises have evolved since then. Don't you think possibly your very poor experience may not reflect Avalon and their new fleet of boats and current practices? The Avalon of today!

You are an extremely experienced traveler and I'm sure you have been let down a time or two on other cruises and you seem to have moved on.

I hope you enjoy your Viking cruise and it is a completely enjoyable experience. I am looking forward to my Avalon cruise and frankly after reading the reviews I think my expectations about the entire experience is in the right place.

Isn't it great that we have so many choices and can afford to travel the world in a varied of ways!

Viking's front lounge, Aquavit, serves lunch and dinner. There are only a few options, hamburger, chicken quesadilla, caeser salad, pasta dish. The burger and fries were great when the main dining menu looked too 'fancy'. You'll also have an amazing view when the weather is nice, you're right at the bow w/ glass railings to look through. The bartenders are the servers, and they always took great care of us....although having my two pretty daughters in their 20's with me might have helped.

One couple had every meal of the trip up there. The dining room can get noisy with the low ceiling.

They do also have the fish/steak option every night in the main area.

Viking was great for us, we're both old soldiers and don't need anything to fancy. Hope you have a good time.

I have sent to Host Jazzbeau a recent Avalon dinner menu from last year. This was not a special evening but just one of the regular evening reflecting a typical evening meal. Also shows the included beers and wines as well as a selection of bottles of wine for sale (Euro pricing).

I am hopeful that our Host will post this evening either here or on a new thread for others to see.

I am going to try and post the link here but I do not believe the CC software will allow it.

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/hphotos-xfp1/v/t59.2708-21/10953822_10203763225017958_1453320735_n.pdf/05-Avalon-Dinner-2015.pdf?oh=0e161202daa4a644b17e6e91c5022369&oe=550EF784&dl=1

Here you go, if it does not post, then Host Jazzbeau will post either here or elsewhere on the board.

Let's see how long it stays up! You will not the steak, fish, chicken option at every meal and about 5 salads, plus fruit & cheese played.

Needless to say things have changed since 2012 when fb0075 had his unhappy experience!

Edited by JVilleGal

Let's see how long it stays up! You will not the steak, fish, chicken option at every meal and about 5 salads, plus fruit & cheese played.

Needless to say things have changed since 2012 when fb0075 had his unhappy experience!

Sorry " now see"

Just my 2 cents...

With only one river cruise under my belt (Viking last April), I absolutely love the difference between ocean and river cruises. I am there for the ports, not entertainment on board.

I can't say a negative thing about our Viking Cruise.

The dinner menu choices are limited to 3 or 4 apps/salads, and 3 entreechoices...one which will be a vegetarian option. There is always a steak, chicken breast or salmon available if the menu items don't appeal to you. They can also accommodate vegans with advance notice.

On day 5 of our Rhine cruise, the dinner was A Taste of Germany. What a feast that was! Buffets were set up in the DR, kitchen and Aquavit Terrace, German musicians, kegs of beer...a fun night.

Thanks for posting the menu, JVilleGal, it was interesting. I don't recall Viking menus in detail but I can't say I'm unduy impressed with the Avalon ones. They look very 'American' to me, rather than having input from the local area, and the starters seem too heavy with salad options. The inclusive wine selection looks very good though.

CEV426- The German buffet was a highlight of the on board part of the trip for us. There was so much food, and everywhere. Delicious. And the fruit schnapps was flowing. The stuff I had years back was sweeter, more like a brandy... and not 80 proof. Started doing half shots, with much water in between.

Fun night.

Thanks for posting the menu, JVilleGal, it was interesting. I don't recall Viking menus in detail but I can't say I'm unduy impressed with the Avalon ones.

Sad to say I tend to agree.

As a non-vegetarian who does not enjoy fish it seems I'd be relegated to one 'choice' a day which does not bode well and frankly duck in orange sauce should have been left in the 70's where it belongs :)

I had asked Avalon for "any" dinner menu from a more recent Europe sailing. Had asked that it NOT be a special menu so that it would reflect the day to day choices and it does show the every day choice of "always available".

I posted just for informational purposes. There certainly seemed to be plenty to eat.

I posted just for informational purposes. There certainly seemed to be plenty to eat.

... and your effort was appreciated.

For me at least it highlighted that there really wasn't actually a choice at dinner if you are a non-vegetarian who dislikes fish.

That was of value.

I don't include the standard offerings as frankly I don't pay that sort of price to go on holiday and eat plain chicken or steak.

I will look at the other lines now for our first European river cruise and I'll pay more attention to the menus as I'm sure Avalon are not alone in being this restrictive.

Thanks for the help.

Funny how different people have different perceptions! My super picky DH was totally calmed down after I showed him the many choices!

As to the Duck, that is listed as the regional special as in the first page it states the port was in France. I should have asked for a menu from the Rhine cruises as Germany & Hungary is our itinerary;)