I need some help!

I have a cruise booked out of San Juan on the Liberty in November. We were all set for this cruise and were planning things in hope of a small decline in airfare from Upstate NY. Now, I'm rethinking my idea. We have been to San Juan before on the Liberty itself and loved it for the day we were in port. The cruise itself is a great deal in my opinion, but we could also do the Breeze from Miami the same week for a touch cheaper. Obviously we will have to eat the $50.00 PP to change, but the cruise fare would still be cheaper then the Liberty, only by a little. Airfare is almost half to FLL versus San Juan, which is great in my book. All ports for both cruises will be new to my co-passenger, the Breeze would be the same for me for two, but I loved them and want to go back. With everything added in in terms of Cruise/Hotel/Air Fare/Rental Car, we are making out $300 cheaper for the Breeze then the Liberty and that's before Shore Excursions for 5 ports on Liberty vs 3 on Breeze. We don't mind taking the Liberty again but I think the Breeze would be amazing, my co-passenger does not think it's important. With all these coming into play, can anyone help me? Which would you choose? Can I offer anything else to make the decision? Thanks!

To me, it would depend more on the ports. The way I look at it, $300 for 3 additional ports, especially the ports that the Liberty is going to is well worth the expense. But that's me and I place a high value on ports more so than on the ship itself. I'd much rather have 6 ports of call and 1 sea day then 3 ports and 3 sea days. Plus I love cruising out of San Juan! You can't beat the itinerary of San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia and St. Maarten! But that's my 2 cents, spend it how you like. Whatever you do, I hope you have a great cruise!

Breeze. I like San Juan cruises for the port intensive itineraries, but have been to a majority of the ones Carnival travels to. For me, Breeze is a great ship from all I have heard and want to try it out, soon. Yeah take Breeze, then you can try out Vista next year and compare the two.

I have a cruise booked out of San Juan on the Liberty in November. We were all set for this cruise and were planning things in hope of a small decline in airfare from Upstate NY. Now, I'm rethinking my idea. We have been to San Juan before on the Liberty itself and loved it for the day we were in port. The cruise itself is a great deal in my opinion, but we could also do the Breeze from Miami the same week for a touch cheaper. Obviously we will have to eat the $50.00 PP to change, but the cruise fare would still be cheaper then the Liberty, only by a little. Airfare is almost half to FLL versus San Juan, which is great in my book. All ports for both cruises will be new to my co-passenger, the Breeze would be the same for me for two, but I loved them and want to go back. With everything added in in terms of Cruise/Hotel/Air Fare/Rental Car, we are making out $300 cheaper for the Breeze then the Liberty and that's before Shore Excursions for 5 ports on Liberty vs 3 on Breeze. We don't mind taking the Liberty again but I think the Breeze would be amazing, my co-passenger does not think it's important. With all these coming into play, can anyone help me? Which would you choose? Can I offer anything else to make the decision? Thanks!

I think this is as much a co-passenger issue as it is a which cruise should we choose issue. One could interpret the situation as one person not wanting to do what he or she originally agreed to with another person. Although another person could simply see it as a balancing act of money and ports. If I were in your shoes, I would try to place myself in the other person's shoes and try to understand where he is coming from. So in other words, consider the human factor along with the money and ports issues. How much do you value your co-passenger's friendship? If all the ports in question are new to your co-passenger, then he might not have the advantage of being the seasoned cruiser that you might be and he might be less comfortable than you with making changes.

I hope you can reach a conclusion where both of you are happy with the outcome so you can both enjoy your well-deserved time off enjoying each other's company making great memories together. :-)

I wish you the best possible outcome where you both have fun cruising!

Just re-read your original posting along with the last responder's reply. I see staying with the plan on one side of it, but it seems you are the one who knows much more about ships/cruises than your friend. So when you throw it out there to take Breeze, I think you should be in tune with your friend's response. Does he/she give you the vibe that they are set on Liberty?, or just either one is great and you are the expert so either is fine with me. Even though you are the repeat cruiser, still your enjoyment is important.

I have been on several cruises, but when planning an itinerary/ship for a cruise, I would try to choose one that is appealing to both me the veteran cruiser and a new cruiser. A new cruiser will be blown away on either.

Now if you were planning on Liberty/San Juan and you all of a sudden were saying let's take a 4 nighter on a Fantasy class class ship, I would say no, you committed to a 7 nighter on a nice sized ship and now want to take one half the length on a much smaller ship? That has happened to me before and I didn't appreciate it. Thankfully we stayed with the 7 nighter and not the 5.

In closing, I like the port intensive stops on the San Juan cruises, but I think Breeze is worth the experience no matter what the itinerary. If the 50.00 change fee is the only issue, and you really want to take Breeze, I say offer to pay the 50.00 for both of you. If that is the case, forget about it, and have a great time on Breeze.

Thanks everyone for the amazing answers! The 50$ change won't really be a problem because with that the breeze will be the same price as liberty, give or take 10$. I think he is focused on getting the most bang for his buck which the cruise itself if definitely worth it! It's the double the price in airfare that's killing us. And although we feel like we could do okay excursion wise for the money, I feel like with five ports we will want to make the most out of it. This itinerary isn't the normal being so far south. The splendor/valor is another option but unsure of the lack of 2.0 upgrades. These both have an itinerary in the middle of the other two. Oh why does this have to be so hard! [emoji12]

Thanks everyone for the amazing answers! The 50$ change won't really be a problem because with that the breeze will be the same price as liberty, give or take 10$. I think he is focused on getting the most bang for his buck which the cruise itself if definitely worth it! It's the double the price in airfare that's killing us. And although we feel like we could do okay excursion wise for the money, I feel like with five ports we will want to make the most out of it. This itinerary isn't the normal being so far south. The splendor/valor is another option but unsure of the lack of 2.0 upgrades. These both have an itinerary in the middle of the other two. Oh why does this have to be so hard! [emoji12]

I understand, a lot of variables. My vote is for Breeze. Only way I would do the San Juan trip is if a lot of new ports for both of you.

How flexible are you on which airlines and which days you are flying? If you are able to be flexible, I would stick with the Liberty. We are on the liberty in a couple of weeks and while we had to be flexible with our airfare, we were able to go for $540 pp RT, my husband and I were able to go out of San Juan in Nov 2013 for $400 pp RT by not being particular about the airline and by looking at nearby airports. We ended up flying out of the local one but I checked several times a week and booked it as soon as I found decent prices.

For someone wanting more bank for their buck, the itinerary on the Liberty is fantastic. Honestly, what is another $200-300 when you are spending what you are while on vacation (and this is coming from someone pretty frugal lol) The itinerary is easily worth the extra if you can afford it. Also, The liberty is a nice ship but doesn't have some of the bells and whistles the Breeze does, I think if I would've gone on the Breeze for my first cruise, I would've gotten spoiled :)

Everyone cruises for different reasons. For some folks (myself included), ports are one of the most important aspects. Others are happy simply staying on the ship and/or finding the cheapest form of travel simply to get away.

I think between you and your travel companion, you have to figure out which aspect is most important before you make your decision.

I haven't been on the Breeze yet (although coming up soon!) but based on everything I've seen and read, I have a strong hunch it could end up as my new favorite ship. However, with that said, the Southern itinerary you're debating over (we took it on Valor), is by FAR my favorite cruise to date. Definitely not based on the ship (Valor was one of my least favorite ships). But the itinerary was so fantastic, the ship really didn't much matter. And yes, we spent more money for that vacation than any of our others, but it was 100% worth every penny.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have an awesome cruise. Good luck!

We are port people, to us the ship is nothing more than a floating hotel. In our house the Liberty out of San Juan would be the winner, but you and your travel partner need to decide what is more important, seeing more places or going on the bigger newer ship :confused:

We are able to be flexible with the flight. No matter what we are either flying in a couple days early. I can get a flight to Florida for 200$ pp or the one to San Juan is 450$+ pp and that's travel from upstate NY to NYC. No matter what, we will like the ports as long as it's southern or western itinerary. We would switch to the breeze in a heartbeat (or probably would have booked that originally) if there was one more port/day. I'm not sure how a six day would be for us. I love being on those ships. Valor is an even cheaper and better choice but I just can't get over no 2.0 upgrades. We are kinda locked in to two weeks back to back for this trip and I think that's what's hurting us. Like I said, those dang airfare prices are what's killing us. I'm perfectly fine spending more money in more ports but the 200$ flight is enticing. We could do it, but I can't decide if we want to do that for airfare.

Google ita matrix. It is a great thing to use to reference airfare prices. You can expand your search further out and maybe find a better deal. Last cruise we were able to drive to St. Louis (about 5 hours) and fly for half price to Miami/fll. With six of us, that was huge. This year we aRe flying southwest as that was the best option for us, out of Indy. Definitely was good to be able to research other possibilities though. My husband wanted to drive to Miami and we were able to fly instead since I had found the St. Louis flights