It's the day after Labor Day - put away your white!

BEAV

Some things just seem to stay with me and this is one of them. Black patent leather shoes was another one although I have not owned any of those in more years than I can count!

I was in Sak's today and saw black patent shoes for fall by Ferragamo and Louboutin. They were both dressy evening shoes. The Ferragamo had velvet ribbons on them....and were very wintery looking. Would be just perfect with a black velvet skirt.

Jane

Well I grew up in the south and I don't know if I was exactly from a proper southern family-although my gg grandfather was a confederate prsioner of war in a union prsion during the civil war-from what I have learned about my ancestry this man was a house painter-so no litttle cotillions in my family ancestry.

The only rules I remember about white was we could not wear white shoes before Easter. Easter Sunday was when you brought out your white shoes and put away the black patent leather ones. I do remember the black patent leather ones-we used to take maragine or butter and a paper towel to "shine up" those patent leather shoes. My friend would use a leftover biscuit from breakfast to shine her shoes. Also we could not wear white shoes after the first official day of fall-which I think is Sept. 20 but we could still wear our other summer stuff as long as it was not white shoes or carried a white purse and it ws still over 75 degrees.

As I said we always put away our summer stuff around Halloween-because after that we would definetely have no 90 degree days. Now we would occasionly have a frost before Halloween when all of the sudden it would drop a whole lot cooler-you know one day it would be ninety and the next day would be a low of 30 and would make 60 at the most-for those times everyone always have some "all season" clothes in their closet-then you would pull those things out to wear. Those are the things we wear on cool fall days, mild winter days. and blackberry winter days (spring days that suddenly turn cool)

That is one thing about living in the south-the temp can change very quickly-it is nothing for the temp. to drop 40 degrees one day to the next or go up that much in the fall, winter and spring. Of course the summer is just hot-and if we have a 80 or 85 degree day between May 1 and Sept. 30 we are happy.

Now here is another rule my Mom had. You never wore blue and green together (unless it was a black watch plaid and in the print of the material) and you never wore pink and red together. Those were the rules I never understood. I always thought nothing was prettier then the Valentine cards done in pink and red and I also liked blue and green together.

My northern mom and your southern mom must have read the same book. Pink and Red - Out - Blue and Green - are you color blind?

Now my personal dislike is purple and red. but I believe according to the Red Hat Society that is just fine.

My northern mom and your southern mom must have read the same book. Pink and Red - Out - Blue and Green - are you color blind?

Now my personal dislike is purple and red. but I believe according to the Red Hat Society that is just fine.

Well my mom was not a southern lady by birth. Her family were from Wyoming though she never lived there. My grandfather worked for the weather bureou and they lived all over. Her grandmothers were both considered Wyoming pioneer women back when Wyoming was a territory and not a state. Their ancestors though came from Indiana, New York, Illinois and Boston. So I had ancestors on both sides of the Civil War. Who knows? they could have been killing each other. I had a ggg uncle who was with Sherman on his march through Georgia and died in a battle in Marrietta, GA.

My father was from Mississippi. My parents met during World War II and married before my father got shipped out to Europe. My mom lived with her parents for more then a year after they were married until the war was over. I basially grew up though in Augusta, GA as that was where my father retired from the military.

As far as throwing away my summer stuff after a season. I would never do that. I wear my stuff atleast a couple of seasons. I never buy anything too trendy. In the summer I wear a lot of capris and skorts and those have been in style for several years. Heck if I threw out everything every year and replaced everything-goodness that would pay for a cruise or go toward my daughter's colleg education.

Now I have donated stuff to the hurricane victims-but I went out and bought NEW stuff-the least I could do-I wanted people who had lost everything have something better then someone else's cast-offs. I think everyone at least deserves some things new-after all most of what they will get is other's cast-offs.

on my monitor, her hat is coming across as a pinkish salmon...pink is for those under 50...she ain't "under 50" and she needs to come to the realization that she ain't under 50 no more.

And a few purple splotches does not make a purple outfit. It needs to be

TOTALLY PURPLE

Her shoes are brown....she gets them dyed to match her hair (so when when whe goes to a naturist park her shoes match)

Her shoes are brown....she gets them dyed to match her hair (so when when whe goes to a naturist park her shoes match)

I can assure you, my dear woman, that you will never find me participating in such despicable activities. I have an image to uphold in the community, you know.

FLBC-patriciaroutledge.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think that rule is antiquated. According to Kate Spade:

"Are there any no-nos anymore when it comes to color (for instance, "Never wear white after Labor Day" or "Don't wear black to weddings")?

No. The trick is to tweak it for the situation. Try winter whites in fall, as opposed to bright white. At a wedding, wear anything but white -- that's reserved for the bride."

Archived