People are wanting to disembark and get refunds on Liberty of the Seas; can they?!

Some people are NOT suited for traveling. Delays happen, ports get skipped, bad weather is always a threat, mechanical parts break down, etc., etc., etc. If traveling stresses you out to the point that one of these things "ruins" your vacation or have you clamoring for a refund or "compensation", you are probably better suited to staying home.

In our many years of traveling and many, many unexpected outcomes, we still love traveling and roll with the punches....and pop up smiling.

Once, on a transpacific crossing, we had to turn around for a full half day to meet a helicopter because of a medical emergency. The Captain keep saying, over and over, that the detour would not interfere with our arrival to Hilo (we had 5 sea days crossing) but, you would have thought the sky was falling. People all over the ship were angry, verbally bashing RCI and completely forgetting that someone was sick enough to warrant the reversal and that it wasn't going to change anything about our cruise. I was shocked.

There are no guarantees in life....we all work hard to pay for our vacations and look forward to everything going smooth as glass, but the reality of it is that it is seldom perfect. Do you want to dwell on the negative or do you want to accentuate the positive and have good memories? Your choice.

But, if you are one of those Negative Nellie's, please stay the heck away from me, I won't have you bringing my good times down to your level.

Desertbelle...well said!!! Great post.

Some people just don't belong on a cruise ship.

Lighten up people, relax, you're on vacation, enjoy....you could be back at work with a boss breathing down your neck!! :eek:

Nobody but newbies listen in those Muster drills. Just like nobody listens to the airplane safety instructions.

Now if the Captain made the announcements in every bar he would get somewhere.:D

I always listen to muster drills and to aircraft safety videos/demonstrations. My safety and understanding fully might save my life one day.

It really irks me when people around me don't. Especially when they decide to make a cell phone call or discuss last nights TV or what they fancy to eat etc. etc.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Have you ever been on a cruise that was delayed in leaving? I have. On our second cruise on Carnival Glory, we found out late the evening before that the ship would be delayed getting in and boarding and departure would be delayed. We got to port around 4:30, boarded around 6 and left PC around 11 pm. We never once thought to complain. We were on vacation on a cruise with friends. We enjoyed the shows, dinner (it was open seating aspeople were still boarding, but it was nice meeting others), and our itinerary wasn't impacted at all.

People are venting about something that really isn't important. They're on the cruise they paid for, they just left a little late, geez.

Yes. we were delayed leaving from Miami on our 2nd cruise. It never occurred to me that this was something to complain about. There was never an explanation, but there were divers ans life boats moving around until late in the evening. I don't think we departed until almost midnight. We had dinner, a show, and bars what more do you need. Certainly didn't ruin our cruise or even ruin the first day aboard.

Edited by luvscruising2007

We've been delayed on half of our Galveston cruises. Once we didn't leave until day 3. But people were so mad, Texas law limits the type of alcohol they can purchase, and on day 2, they started running out. At lunch on Day 2, people were worse than usual, cutting in line, grumbling about not being able to drink. While we didn't hear this from anyone at the bar, they complained about no alcohol.

On day 2 at dinner, they closed the bars and offered us a deal to leave the ship for a cruise credit, or we could stay on the ship for no compensation other than port charges for the port we missed.

We chose to stay, and after the complainers left, we had a much nicer cruise!

DH kept visiting the library while we waited. But that was before Royal started gutting their libraries.

That was exactly my reaction when I saw this. In fact, I had to read the thread just to confirm this really was over something so stupid. :rolleyes:

I completely agree. I just read the roll call (from the link posted further up this thread) - some people are completely disconnected from reality. They should be embarrassed to say such things!

I am happy RCL is taking whatever time required to ensure the ship is in good ship (especially my beloved Liberty :D). We have had delays in sailings and it would never occur to us to complain -- good grief.

We will be on the Liberty Easter weekend for our farewell cruise since this great ship is going to be sailing from Galveston next winter.

Speaking of delays, we had a direct flight from Ottawa to Ft. Lauderdale one year, had rental car waiting for our drive to Naples. Announcement came to prepare for landing, great, then plane started to fly in slow circles, hmm. what's up. Pilot makes announcement: POTUS leaving airport and we have to stay away, OK. Plane continues circle. Pilot makes announcement: POTUS plane threw up gravel so runway needs to be cleaned-up. OK. Pilot makes announcement: need to go to Tampa to get more fuel. OK. (fly over our condo in Naples en route - Not OK). Land in Tampa. Sit on runway. No one ready for us. Finally towed in. Pilot makes announcement: need to have US Immigration clearance before we get fuel -- flight from Canada. OK. Wait long time. Pilot makes announcement: US Immigration gone home not expecting flight -- someone being called back to work. OK. We wait. Pilot makes announcement: getting fuel now. OK. Pilot makes announcement: WRONG PAPERWORK done must be re-done. OK. Pilot makes announcement: Folks we are cleared for take-off. Four hours after we were due to land in Ft. Lauderdale -- we land. EVERYONE CLAPS. For the record -- since we were in landing or departing mode the whole time we had no food, no water, no freedom to move around the aircraft and certainly no bar service. Refund offer -- are you kidding> Get in rental car - drive straight to Naples - not even McDonald's was open nor was there anything other than tap water in the condo however we were safe and sound.

As long as I'm on the ship, I'm happy from the very first "Doink" of the card reader embarking. :D

FWIW, I have been on cruises that we either returned to port hrs after leaving, left late due to repairs or skipped a port all together.

We were on the Allure in 2012 and had a fire in one of the engine rooms. We were a tad nervous but never did I ever think about compensation. They turned the ship around to get the smoke (which was contained to the engine room and pool deck) vented out. For a few moments. We had just finished dinner when it happened.

The shows went on, (I did verify my muster station ;) ) We had a lovely evening and next day at sea!!

I was just happy it was handled and we could enjoy the rest of our cruise. :D

Steph

I find it very very very hard to believe that no one in this thread would not complain at some point even if its to yourself . If this was your cruise and you paid all this money and the ship was still in port everyone would be upset at some point. When they book the cruise and final payment rccl didn't tell them the ship you leave after 11 pm. They should get $10 onboard credit. For me its not the same when the ship not at sea and still in port I book a cruise not a hotel or resort. They came to CC to vent that all. Its funny at some people don't get that the cruise line own you after you signature on that contract.

Absolutely not. Maybe it's because I'm not from your neck of the woods that I'm not rushing to complain or get a freebie every time something isn't absolutely perfect. Yes, I've been on ships that left port late and it made no difference at all. Dinner was still served and the shows still went on. If the ship spent the night in FLL and missed ports, I might understand, somewhat, but not in this case when the ship still got underway that night.

So does any one know yet what was wrong with the ship?

Nothing definitive (and probably won't ever have anything definitive) but Chengkp75 felt it was routine maintenance based on passenger reports. :confused: