Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

At least you can ask for it to be removed either from the receipt when signing or later at Guest Services. It is not mandatory, just like the bar auto-gratuity.

You can remove the gratuity when buying a drink:confused:

You can remove the gratuity when buying a drink:confused:

Yes, just remember that the bar staff is not and has never been in the DSC pool unlike the (speciality) restaurant staff.

Edited by Demonyte

Yes, just remember that the bar staff is not and has never been in the DSC pool unlike the (speciality) restaurant staff.
If someone wants to remove it, it should be their option, just as it is someone's option not to pay the DSC or the 18% specialty restaurant gratuity.

If someone wants to remove it, it should be their option, just as it is someone's option not to pay the DSC or the 18% specialty restaurant gratuity.

I do not believe you can remove it anymore not off the bar tab nor the specialty dining,,

Jancruz1

You can remove anything that its a gratuity anywhere on any cruise line..its against the law if they refuse the removal of gratuity...gratuity is not fare its not price its not service fee its just what it says..so you can do whatever you want with it you can increase it reduce it or remove it completely

You can remove anything that its a gratuity anywhere on any cruise line..its against the law if they refuse the removal of gratuity...gratuity is not fare its not price its not service fee its just what it says..so you can do whatever you want with it you can increase it reduce it or remove it completely

Just for my edification what law is it against? I never heard of that...

Jancruz1

If a company any company refuses to remove a gratuity for a sale they make you can sue them for stealing you.thats what i mean...if you say i will pay a double tip or i dont want to pay a tip they must comply with this

Im sorry, I have never heard of that before..do you know anyone that has done that?

just curious..as I have cruised for 40 years and never heard of any law like that..is it a US law or International law?

Jancruz1

Jancruz you must understand the difference between a price tag and gratuity...gratuity is sth you only give if you want to as a customer..they can not add gratuity on anything and demand you to pay it..so wherever you go to a restaurant bar coffee place cruise etc if you dont want to tip you can remove the tip and nobody can make you pay it..if they charge your credit card even when you told them that you dont want to include the tip then you can sue them.its like this all over the wirld..in every place you go you are obliged to pay the price of the food drink with tax inclusions..if gratuities are involved you can add more reduce remove do whatever you like

The one think that I really don't like is that it's an automatic tip on drinks of 18%. We haven't been alcohol drinkers for many years, for reasons. But, if I were to order a drink, I would think giving $1 is what I would think was acceptable. I would pry just hand over a $1 bill and think I was just fine with that. But I can see now I would be way off with that!

I agree with you on the 18% for bartenders. Especially when it comes to wine.

It doesn't take any more work to open a $60 bottle of wine than a $30 bottle of wine so why should I be expected to tip double on the more expensive wine.

Lois

Jancruz you must understand the difference between a price tag and gratuity...gratuity is sth you only give if you want to as a customer..they can not add gratuity on anything and demand you to pay it..so wherever you go to a restaurant bar coffee place cruise etc if you dont want to tip you can remove the tip and nobody can make you pay it..if they charge your credit card even when you told them that you dont want to include the tip then you can sue them.its like this all over the wirld..in every place you go you are obliged to pay the price of the food drink with tax inclusions..if gratuities are involved you can add more reduce remove do whatever you like

Good point. Gratuity is not the cost of the item or service. It can be removed. After all, it is for our "convenience".:)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the clarification..I honestly did not know this..I wonder what will happen if people start doing this..

Jancruz1

I always paid my dsc for all of my cruises.for my next cruise on ncl i have already prepaid it..but whatever specialty restaurant i will go i will make sure to remove the tip of 18% because for me its a double tip..all restaurant staff are included on the dsc..and for the first time of my history cruising with ncl and because i got so pissed off with these changes made for our convenience i will even reduce the tip on bar prices if i dont get a nice service...last cruise sometimes there was nobody to serve you a drink on the pool,if i need to get to the bar to get my drink i am not going to pay 18% just for the barman to use the opener on a beer!!!on an other hand if the barman makes me a real nice cocktail i will make sure to increase this tip...

I agree with you on the 18% for bartenders. Especially when it comes to wine.

It doesn't take any more work to open a $60 bottle of wine than a $30 bottle of wine so why should I be expected to tip double on the more expensive wine.

Lois

Very, very good point ...

I'm getting the feeling that in the past, many didn't tip in the spec rooms

For specialty dining, you already paid via the DSC with the cover charge on top - so if you want to tip more to that particular waiter / waitress, you could pay in cash or add more tip in the additional tip line.

I'm getting the feeling that in the past, many didn't tip in the spec rooms

I think you hit the nail on the head! And that is the same reason an automatic gratuity was implemented to beverage service and the DSC. It was real easy in the olden days for folks not to give any gratuity and that is why some are added automatically.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I always paid my dsc for all of my cruises.for my next cruise on ncl i have already prepaid it..but whatever specialty restaurant i will go i will make sure to remove the tip of 18% because for me its a double tip..all restaurant staff are included on the dsc..and for the first time of my history cruising with ncl and because i got so pissed off with these changes made for our convenience i will even reduce the tip on bar prices if i dont get a nice service...last cruise sometimes there was nobody to serve you a drink on the pool,if i need to get to the bar to get my drink i am not going to pay 18% just for the barman to use the opener on a beer!!!on an other hand if the barman makes me a real nice cocktail i will make sure to increase this tip...

You will not be able to take off the 18%

Jancruz1

Good point. Gratuity is not the cost of the item or service. It can be removed. After all, it is for our "convenience".:)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Sorry, I do not believe you are going to be able to remove the 18% if you were not part of the complimentary UDP promo..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz