El Yunque in a 1/2 day?

jean87510

Hi my family of 6 will be in San Juan in November and want to visit El Yunque. We will be in port 7a to 2p. Obviously time is limited there as I want to be back at port at 1230pm. I have some questions:

1. Has anyone done this with a guide and who did you use? We are looking at 4 hour tour.

2. Would it be better to just drive there? With getting the rental and figuring it out where it is, can this be done in 4 hours, maybe 5?

You can certainly drive yourself. The drive is about an hour out of San Juan. Easy to find. There is one road in and out. That being said, you also have to allow time to pick up and drop off your rental car.

We used Ellis twice. The first time we did this tour and it was great. He will go out of your way to give you a good tour. Not sure if you will have time for this but wanted to give you an example.

http://puertorico.en.craigslist.org/trv/4937359423.html

You can email him at fleisherellis@aol.com

You can certainly drive yourself. The drive is about an hour out of San Juan. Easy to find. There is one road in and out. That being said, you also have to allow time to pick up and drop off your rental car.

We used Ellis twice. The first time we did this tour and it was great. He will go out of your way to give you a good tour. Not sure if you will have time for this but wanted to give you an example.

http://puertorico.en.craigslist.org/trv/4937359423.html

You can email him at fleisherellis@aol.com

thanks. I have seen that name quite a bit in the thread and have emailed him. Actually I emailed a lot of tour operators and a couple got back to me today. Neither one encouraged driving or taking a tour because they said the time constraints were too close and we would be rushed at El Yunque. I am going to keep researching but may have to stick with forts this day.

Another thing to consider is the day of the week and/or how many ships are in port that day. I have been to El Yunque on a Wednesday, for example with 4 ships in port and just getting past the first roadside falls was a feat. Buses are everywhere, traffic is at snail's pace and the main falls (La Mina) are full of people. It's an hour drive each way and a 45 minute hike (each way) the La Mina falls. This will give you a little time at the falls but just getting there and back will consume almost 4 hours of your time and cut it real close to get back on board.

Another thing to consider is the day of the week and/or how many ships are in port that day. I have been to El Yunque on a Wednesday, for example with 4 ships in port and just getting past the first roadside falls was a feat. Buses are everywhere, traffic is at snail's pace and the main falls (La Mina) are full of people. It's an hour drive each way and a 45 minute hike (each way) the La Mina falls. This will give you a little time at the falls but just getting there and back will consume almost 4 hours of your time and cut it real close to get back on board.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. Plus my husband not listening to nor following directions even with a gps. The forts look great and good exercise. We have 4 stops so not worried about missing beach at this port. Thanks for feedback.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. Plus my husband not listening to nor following directions even with a gps. The forts look great and good exercise. We have 4 stops so not worried about missing beach at this port. Thanks for feedback.

Jean,

I think we were on the Explorer in November with you. In fact we did the speedboat ride to the Pitons in St Lucia which you arranged. Just wondering which ports you are visiting this time and what you have found. We are sailing out of San Juan in November on Adventure of the Seas. thanks! Sue

Jean,

I think we were on the Explorer in November with you. In fact we did the speedboat ride to the Pitons in St Lucia which you arranged. Just wondering which ports you are visiting this time and what you have found. We are sailing out of San Juan in November on Adventure of the Seas. thanks! Sue

Yes I do remember! We had a good time that day in St. Lucia. One of my favorite excursions. We are leaving out of Port Canaveral 10/31 and going to St. Martin, St Kitts, San Juan, and Grand Turk. Just having such difficulty in planning San Juan with 4 kids (23, 21, 15, and 13) when we are in port 7a to 2p. We are doing Carnival Sunshine this time.

we did end up booking with ellis tours. I think because we were a family of 6 we were more attractive. I said we wanted to experience El Yunque but wanted to mainly see waterfalls and avoid the crowds. Meeting him at 730am off of ship. Ship excursion leaves at 8am. I think we should be ok. If not...oh well.

we did end up booking with ellis tours. I think because we were a family of 6 we were more attractive. I said we wanted to experience El Yunque but wanted to mainly see waterfalls and avoid the crowds. Meeting him at 730am off of ship. Ship excursion leaves at 8am. I think we should be ok. If not...oh well.

I love Ellis, We have used him twice and can't say enough good things about him. You will have a great time.

• 5 weeks later...

We were just there in March on the Carnival Splendor from 7am - 2pm and we were able to do exactly what you are asking. We book our excursion with Martin. He is less known right now (which can be a good thing for booking) but he was very polite, knowledgeable, and great with our kids. He specializes in the rainforest tour and you won't be disappointed. We had originally booked with Natural Wonders but a week before the cruise I emailed them to make sure everything was good to go and they said that my booking got messed up somehow and they didn't have me down and there was no more room. But as a good person would do he recommended us to, Martin. I'm actually glad that he did because we had a wonderful time and it was a much more personal tour. It ended up being the 4 of us and 1 other young lady.

He picked us up right in front of the pier and took us straight to the rainforest. Along the way he pointed out sights and facts about the island, so much so that he kept encouraging us to ask him questions but we couldn't come up with much that he hadn't already told us.

When we got to the rainforest he judged where the other tour operators were and took us to the less crowded sites first so we wouldn't get stuck with crowds. We hiked to two separate waterfalls and were able to get in the water and play around a little and he took our pictures with our camera so that no one would be left out. After the hiking we went to the Yokahu Tower and another waterfall (this waterfall for pictures only). Martin, again bestowed upon us his knowledge of the rainforest including different vegetation, wildlife, ancestry, and other interesting facts.

After the rainforest he brought us back to Old San Juan and suggested we start in the "square" where there are local craft vendors, and he recommended his favorite restaurants if we were looking for local cuisine, and bid us farewell. We walked to go to San Cristobel fort and walked around for quite some time then we walked back through town and did a little shopping on our way back to the ship.

Because we were able to do all of this and not feel rushed with any of it we don't know what we are going to do when we go back on our next cruise in a month.

Here is Martin's number 787-398-6441. You can search for him on the internet by putting in PRParadise Taxi Martin.