Have you ever cruised without insurance?

Just wondering if anyone has? If you buy outside insurance, what has been your experiences? Ever used it?

Yeah, our first cruise. But we didn't know any better then. Since then we found out medical insurance doesn't cover out of country (medical expenses or evacuation). Both of those can be quite costly, and we're an older couple, chances are something could be required.

We also didn't buy insurance for our 2 Mexican Riviera cruises. Since we live in Southern California, we felt that the risk wouldn't be as costly if we needed to be evacuated (we could call family to come and get us, if necessary).

Haven't had any need to use it yet, but it's peace of mind.

I never even thought about buying insurance. It just wasn't on my radar. Then one day we were on a Mexican Riviera cruise. I think we were in Zihuatanejo. One of the passengers had a heart attack. The ship's doctor determined he needed hospitalization. He was transported ashore to the local hospital. He had no choice in the matter. His wife did have a choice. Stay on the ship or disembark and stay with him. She stayed with him.

I always wondered how they made out, how they got home and whether he had any insurance to cover the bills or had to pay on the spot.

From then on, I've always bought insurance. It costs tens of thousands of dollars for an emergency medical evacuation back to the states. I'm not willing to gamble that much when I can purchase insurance at a very reasonable rate.

I never even thought about buying insurance. It just wasn't on my radar. Then one day we were on a Mexican Riviera cruise. I think we were in Zihuatanejo. One of the passengers had a heart attack. The ship's doctor determined he needed hospitalization. He was transported ashore to the local hospital. He had no choice in the matter. His wife did have a choice. Stay on the ship or disembark and stay with him. She stayed with him.

I always wondered how they made out, how they got home and whether he had any insurance to cover the bills or had to pay on the spot.

From then on, I've always bought insurance. It costs tens of thousands of dollars for an emergency medical evacuation back to the states. I'm not willing to gamble that much when I can purchase insurance at a very reasonable rate.

My thoughts exactly. I could care less about the trip cancelation benefit, I wouldn't be on the cruise if I couldn't afford it. The medical and evac stuff is why I buy insurance.

We've been chancing it with good results so far. I'll probably purchase insurance as I get older.

The only time we bought it was for our Alaska cruise. Between the air travel, hotel rooms, etc. we did not want to chance it. If something went wrong we stood to lose a whole lot more than a normal cruise from our backyard.

Usually we just drive an hour or 2 to the port!

Once in fortysomething cruises I did not purchase insurance. It was completely an oversight. Fortunately my Amex card would cover a number of issues except it does not cover pre-existing conditions.

I have had to use travel insurance twice. Once for lost luggage and travel delay and the second (land vacation in Mexico) for my wife and a dental emergency.

The first time was somewhat of a pain in the rear. It took months and multiple emails, faxes and snail mails to collect. This was with Travelguard.

The most recent (last January) my wife lost a cap on one of her molars and required a post and implant. They could not reattach the cap. Alianz settled the claim in less than two weeks from our return and paid it in full. Part of the process was considered "surgery" so this came out of medical and not dental.

Take care,

Mike

My thoughts exactly. I could care less about the trip cancelation benefit, I wouldn't be on the cruise if I couldn't afford it. The medical and evac stuff is why I buy insurance.

I agree. I buy it mainly for the medical and the ship evac reasons too. The other coverage is good to have, but those types of claims wouldn't "break the bank" so to say. :D

I just get sick of people who elect NOT to buy insurance, have something go wrong and then play the victim. If they want to take a gamble, then they shouldn't whine when the dice come up craps. :mad:

Edited by The4Cruisers

Out of 7 cruises, I have only not purchased insurance once which happened to be our first cruise and that was only because I didn't think of it. There are too many things that can happen even if you are young. In my case, on our third cruise (my 2nd with insurance), I received a call at our first Port of Call that my dad had passed away unexpectedly. Quite a shock to say the least and it was well worth the $159 cost of trip insurance for my mother (his ex-wife) and me. We were able to get back home, recoup most of the cost of our trip, and cruise again once things were settled at home.

Will not travel without it now but as others have said, it's a personal decision.

We have Amex gold, they used to provide travel insurance as a benefit, so we never bought it separately. We found out they no longer offer it, so we bought a separate policy through Global Underwriters, it was only $41.50 for the three of us total.

Im not worried about the cruise fare, I worry about the cost of a medical emergency. We have a 3 year old, it just seems like the responsible thing to do.

I always buy insurance now. We have had 2 cruises where we almost had to use it and didn't know until the day before the cruise if we would be able to go on them. 1st one was work related and the 2nd one my daughter had a fever of 104 - it finally broke the day before we were to leave. We didn't have to use it either of those times but glad we had it. Another close call on a cruise was when most of our luggage was not on our flight - thank goodness we flew in a day early and were able to get our luggage the next day. (after a $200 cab ride from Miami to FLL).

We did however, use our insurance on our last cruise this past June. My 15 year old son fell on the basketball court and broke his wrist in 2 spots. We saw the ships doctor who did x-rays and put it in a cast. Then the next day in Cozumel they made an appointment with a Orthopedic Surgeon for us. So, more X-rays and Dr had to rebreak the arm and then set it in a new cast. All of this had to be paid on the spot. Between our medical insurance and our trip insurance all was paid for except $50.

So, anything can happen at any time. No matter what the age. I am a true believer in buying insurance. Just a little peace of mind.

Insurance is always deemed unnecessary until something happens. And that something doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with your health, age or travel interruption. Passengers are injured on the ship and while on excursions all the time. If this happens to you while in a port, chances are that your injuries are not covered with most employer sponsored health care plans or through Medicare.

You are responsible and will have to pay in full for any medical attention you receive. If you have the misfortune to need medevac service, that can cost an obscene amount of money and wipe out a good portion, if not all of your savings. Travel insurance is a dice roll and assessing your personal comfort level with risk. Spending a couple of hundred will be a good investment if something happens to you or a family member.

I have. And I haven't. What determines (for me) the purchase is the "risk" involved.

Examples:

My H is disabled, it's a "preexisting condition" - when we cruise, we ALWAYS buy insurance. We're "young" and "healthy" but the risk is great, so the (relatively small) cost is worth it.

When my BF & I cruise from our home port, we do not buy insurance. We're "young" and "healthy" so the risk is lower. We do NOT purchase insurance.

Now coming up, my BF & I are cruising together in Oct. We DID purchase insurance. Why this time? Because it's way in the future, and we're flying to a different city. So even though we're "young" and "healthy" we both feel the risk is higher, so for the equivalent of $65 each, we've covered all bases.

I say it "should" be based on "risk" involved.

We have always bought insurance through the cruise line. Our second cruise I got a call in Cozumel that my father was in ICU and things did not look good. I was in the process of finding out how to get a flight home when they called back and said he was stable. Thankful we did not have to use it, but glad we had it.

Just wondering if anyone has? If you buy outside insurance, what has been your experiences? Ever used it?

One other thing. We never buy from the cruise line, always an outside source. And actually, one trip, my H had his computer drop off a conveyor belt (security footage showed that the TSA misplaced it in their attempt to "help") on the way to the x-ray machine, and broke. Insurance claim filed, and new computer was able to be purchased within 10 days.

For younger people, it's not about being healthy, it's about accidents. My PVP told me about a young guy that broke his ankle while ziplining. His group insurance did not cover him outside of US. It cost him over $4,000. The insurance at his age would've been $40.

I would think twice about that if I were you.

Yea depending on what excursions I did maybe. If something goes wrong during excursion the excursion company could be liable depending on the circumstances. If it's an excursion booked thru Carnival they must have insurance. We do excursions maybe 1 out of every 3 cruises. And usually nothing dangerous.

I am interested in the medical portion, and curious...what causes you to choose outside policies vs. Carnival? Is it just because of cost? Are the benefits significantly better on one vs. the other?

For our 7-day cruise, the Carnival insurance is around $100. I am trying to decide what to do. Are there 'major' companies that routinely provide outside policies you'd recommend, or should we stick with something like USAA?

I am cruising with a friend. Am I allowed to purchase for myself if she is not covered?

Edited by NOLAbebe

They basically cover the same things, it is cheaper to buy an outside policy. You can certainly shop around, I have used Travel Guard many times and they will list out what is covered. It is more if you choose "cancel for any reason" and you are not eligible if you buy insurance so many days after your deposit. I wait to buy insurance after final payment. Getting sick, or injured or heaven forbid someone dies while on vacation could seriously ruin someone's life financially. Can't wrap my brain around some stating they don't buy insurance. :eek:

You can buy whether your friend does or not.

I am interested in the medical portion, and curious...what causes you to choose outside policies vs. Carnival? Is it just because of cost? Are the benefits significantly better on one vs. the other?

For our 7-day cruise, the Carnival insurance is around $100. I am trying to decide what to do. Are there 'major' companies that routinely provide outside policies you'd recommend, or should we stick with something like USAA?

I am cruising with a friend. Am I allowed to purchase for myself if she is not covered?