Ken w/ Northern Lights (Ketchikan Fishing) Passed Away

hunterjackson

I just received word that Ken with Northern Lights (Ketchikan) has passed away as I am booked on one of his upcoming charters.

I am just putting this here for info for others looking to book.

I never had the pleasure to meet Ken, but when conversing on phone or email, he seemed like a super nice guy.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

So sorry to here this news. We had heard such wonderful things about Ken and had already planned on booking with him for our 2016 visit in Ketchikan. Very sad and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Edited by dolfans0704

Hi all,

I gave Northern Lights Charters a call, and they appear to be fielding the ball very well. They are still in business and will set you up with a quality fishing charter as they are still operating at a limited capacity. Ken was a prenominal fisherman and all around great guy. Check out their website (ketchikanfishing.net) and give them a call (888-550-8488) to book a charter.

Thanks,

G.W.

Oh my, what a terrible loss. We were just talking about Ken the other day. We fished with Ken in 2011 and really enjoyed it. We talked on the phone several times before our cruise, and it turned out that we lived one town over from his sister in Michigan. Ken went to college not too far from there as well.

I am really stunned by this news. Thank you for posting here. I'm sure many folks on CC have many stories to tell about Ken.

I had him booked for our cruise in August! This is so sad, he seemed like a really nice guy when I was making my reservation. He talked about his family, fishing down here in Florida where I'm from, and his trips to fish in Costa Rica. I would have really liked to have met him in person. I'm glad to see they are covering his charters, tho.

We had our first charter with Ken booked for this coming June. We had never met him in person, but my conversation with him on the phone made me feel like we had been friends for a long time. I was very sad to receive the call from Dawn today informing me of Ken's passing.

Dawn has already lined up another boat for us and is working to keep Ken's legacy alive by keeping the business going. Please keep Northern Lights in mind if you are planning to book in the future.

I just got the sad news from his wife today.:( I had booked a charter (for the whole boat for 4 of us) with him on May 27th, on the reccomendation from Budget Queen. He was so nice to talk to; I talked with him twice for about an hour each time, I felt like I knew him personally, and I was really looking forward to meeting him and introducing him to my fisherman husband.

Joyce

So sad, he showed our family a fantastic time in 2010 and last year I caught up with him as we were getting off the ship to meet friends. l'd guess him to be in his mid 50s? He was originally from west Michigan. You'll find video footage and pics of him in a pictorial review if you click the link below Mickey Mouse.

Edited by fishin' musician

• 2 weeks later...

Really sad to hear. I didn't get a chance to go on a fishing trip with him, have been trying to book with him and he recommended Carla at KCBI or Nick at Chasin' Tail Charters.

KCBI= 1-907-225-7291 and Nick=1-907-617-7033. Ken said that Nick is a little cheaper and is a good fisherman.

We had the pleasure of going out with Ken on six different fishing trips. We fished all the different kinds of salmon, fished halibut, bottom fished and caught rock fish, and fed the eagles. Ken would throw bait fish into the air and the eagles would swoop down and catch mid-air. His favorite saying was "A bloody boat is a happy boat!" We caught our limit quickly one year, so Ken took us out looking for whales and we found one that was bubble feeding. Awesome experience. We called today to book number seven and learned this sad news. We will miss Ken. He was wonderful both as a fisherman and as a man. Our summer trip to Alaska won't feel the same when we dock in Ketchikan. Our prayers are with his family.

263210_264136970264363_826545_n.jpg?oh=feab7b2dcdb1c2bcc3459b722e5b26fc&oe=55B7F655228878_264137520264308_2418383_n.jpg?oh=fbbfc8d693ca4ab7eac0040a7df83efe&oe=55E5C573

582228_460919230586135_1840348881_n.jpg?oh=ed6fb4024c03cf63bfd82c27085a193c&oe=55E36DDD