Beverage package

JACKHAWK

Quick note from August Insignia cruise:

With stops in Bordeaux as well as other ports in Portugal and Spain, I never thought once of taking the beverage package -- I knew I would be buying plenty of wine onshore and bringing back onto the ship. (Noted repeatedly on the Oceania CC board that there is never a problem with this.)

Here is a note about paying corkage fees that I've not seen mentioned: Every night I would bring one bottle of wine to the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants that I had purchased while on a shore excursion. I would also purchase a nice bottle of wine to also drink during the meal. (There were usually four of us at the table.) I'm assuming that buying a bottle of wine made a difference, but I was never once charged a corkage fee for the bottle I brought into the restaurant. I even asked once (but only once), and was told not to worry.

Edited by What A Market

I Already have a house select package as a cruise bonus if I up grade to a prestige when the cruise leaves Barcelona, am a liable for the extra Vat tax on the price difference ??

You might be. And Spanish VAT is nothing to sneeze at.

I say might as I have sailed out of Barcelona recently and once we were out a bit there was no Vat. I have also sailed out of Barcelona and had the Vat take effect but that was several years ago.

Since I think your cruise carries on to other Spanish ports, Vat is a risk. I would be tempted to call O and ask, but in reality you/we won't know for sure until we are on the ship and see what O's daily event paper says. There should be something in it I would think - or someone on board should be able to answer the question (I hope).

Quick note from August Insignia cruise:

With stops in Bordeaux as well as other ports in Portugal and Spain, I never thought once of taking the beverage package -- I knew I would be buying plenty of wine onshore and bringing back onto the ship. (Noted repeatedly on the Oceania CC board that there is never a problem with this.)

Here is a note about paying corkage fees that I've not seen mentioned: Every night I would bring one bottle of wine to the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants that I had purchased while on a shore excursion. I would also purchase a nice bottle of wine to also drink during the meal. (There were usually four of us at the table.) I'm assuming that buying a bottle of wine made a difference, but I was never once charged a corkage fee for the bottle I brought into the restaurant. I even asked once (but only once), and was told not to worry.

MOST good landside resturants where you have a decent relationship with mangement will waive the corkage if you buy a bottle. I usually like to buy a white or sparkling wine, and then cork a nice red wine, and usually the corkage will be waived on the red, especially if you share a taste with your waiter or sommelier. YMMV.

John R.

MOST good landside resturants where you have a decent relationship with mangement will waive the corkage if you buy a bottle. I usually like to buy a white or sparkling wine, and then cork a nice red wine, and usually the corkage will be waived on the red, especially if you share a taste with your waiter or sommelier. YMMV.

John R.

The Wine Staff have the discretion to waive Corkage if the passenger is bringing in a bottle which supplements the Oceania Cellar, whether an Oceania wine is purchased, or not.

If the Wine is being brought on as a cost saving measure, a fee will be assessed.