Divina April 4.....NEED EXCURSION IDEAS

john in ga

hello everyone:

We will be on the April 4 Divina cruise. First time with MSC. We are family with 2 kids who enjoyed snorkeling. We have parasailed, helmut dived, and snorkeled. And my step son says went to Orient Beach and saw topless women.

I need ideas for St Maarten such as ideas for snorkeling? Pinel Island? How do you get there or is it better just to sit on the beach at Mullet Bay and have a beer?

We have never been to Puerto Rico. We are thinking snorkel there instead of St Maarten as St Maarten not known for great snorkeling? Rain forest hike? Is the hike easy or strenuous? Zip lines? Please help.......Anything these islands are noted for that I have missed? Please no shopping ideas, the wife will spend all day shopping and miss a beautiful isle. Thanks

hello everyone:

We will be on the April 4 Divina cruise. First time with MSC. We are family with 2 kids who enjoyed snorkeling. We have parasailed, helmut dived, and snorkeled. And my step son says went to Orient Beach and saw topless women.

I need ideas for St Maarten such as ideas for snorkeling? Pinel Island? How do you get there or is it better just to sit on the beach at Mullet Bay and have a beer?

We have never been to Puerto Rico. We are thinking snorkel there instead of St Maarten as St Maarten not known for great snorkeling? Rain forest hike? Is the hike easy or strenuous? Zip lines? Please help.......Anything these islands are noted for that I have missed? Please no shopping ideas, the wife will spend all day shopping and miss a beautiful isle. Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic John!! Here is a link to your roll call for that sailing. You can chat with others and get some great excursion ideas for the ports you will be visiting: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058863

Here as well is a link to the San Juan Port Of Call board where all things excursions are discussed:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

As well as the St. Martin Port Of Call board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

We have sailed this route with Divina back in August and had an incredible time!! We spent the day at Maho Beach in St. Martin and walked around San Juan,,visiting the forts,,shops,,and finally,,a pina colada from Barrachina's,,,home of the original pina colada!! Enjoy your trip!!!:D

John in Ga., I am also in Ga. and sailed on the Divina 2 years ago...here is a link to my review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1964582&highlight=steelcruisin

In the review you will find a link to a walking tour of Puerto Rico which was awesome, the Divina is a great ship...we just booked our 2nd cruise on her for Nov., Have a great time!

thanks for all the replies but i am looking for details details details. for example, i went to st maarten last year. I recommend not booking any excursions. Just hop in a taxi off the boat and head to Orient Beach. Once there bring us dollars or euro because you can haggle prices sometimes. There is plenty to do such as parasail, jet ski, food, drink. Prices are expensive compared to Applebees but considering you are on a tourist oriented island prices are ok. But be warned, parts of orient beach are topless and full nude. maybe send out a scout to map the course you want to take. or be really naughty and offer free suntan lotion applications to select individuals.

I have never been to puerto rico. my backup plan is to walk off ship and explore nearby fort, old town, drink some coffee, drink some rum and eat some food. Real plan is not determined yet.

Would like to hear from people who have been to the ports recently. Ideally would love for someone to say.......you have to go to XYZ and do ABC because it is a unique experience....such as a zip line tour, a restaurant, a scenic beach. Come on i know there are some people out there with great experiences, please share

less than 2 weeks to go

i booked in online after buying the cruise to save time but now I have no luggage tags? The website is useless and the person that called me said luggage tags were emailed already. Now I have to try and get a hold of someone and beg for luggage tags. I am starting to get a bad feeling about this cruise line. This could be first and last cruise on this line, hope not.

i booked in online after buying the cruise to save time but now I have no luggage tags? The website is useless and the person that called me said luggage tags were emailed already. Now I have to try and get a hold of someone and beg for luggage tags. I am starting to get a bad feeling about this cruise line. This could be first and last cruise on this line, hope not.

John,,as long as you have completed and printed your web-check in and received your boarding pass and printed that, you will be fine. Once you reach the terminal,,the luggage tags are removed and new ones are applied to your luggage so don't worry if you didn't receive them.

Hi John,

If you luggage tags were not in the email -just pick some up Saturday when you arrive - the porters will have them - or will get them for you.

For Snorkeling in St. Maarten try: http://www.captainalan.com

The sailing race excursion is also top notch - but may be sold out.

Shopping is great in St Maarten

Mano beach is awesome - for a rush with the planes landing & good beach bars on either end

If this is your first visit to SJU either do the zip line/rainforest tour just explore the fort & town.....I would recommend the fort & old town for first time visitors.

Hope this helps - see you onboard - don't forget your beads😄

We're leaving Wednesday.afternoon....... .had to move it back a day so DH could input his semester grades - window doesn't open for grades until Wednesday morning......then we'll be off ( finally )

Sandy

Charlotte

I ranted about MSC yesterday. I was put on hold on the phone and the internet site is begging for a major upgrade. I left a message for MSC and they contacted me within 30 minutes. They emailed me the luggage tags. BRAVO. The young lady that helped me was professional and quick. Her first name was Krystin.

thanks to Charlotte for excursion ideas. Because of her, I think me and step kids will go ziplining in Puerto Rico and ditch the wife in the spa that day. If you see me on the ship I am the white guy with asian wife and 2 asian kids, I think I may stand out, maybe not?

Charlotte, since you going down early here are some ideas. Upper Key West is not a far drive from Miami. The Kennedy Space Center is about 3 hour drive north of Miami straight up I-95. They have scheduled and unscheduled launches of rockets. Also have a tour of the facilities. The tour is worth seeing once and does cost $$$. There are no scheduled launches until April 10. I will be hitting Sebastian Inlet on the way down weather permitting. Orlando has many tourist offerings. Orlando is 4-5 hours from Miami.

In a few days I will be drinking mermaid water.....spiced rum, coconut rum, pineapple juice, lime juice and blue curaco to turn it green

John

by the way mermaid water may have to be special ordered, did not see it on any drink list, perfect hot day drink. I am a previous scotch drinker turned bourbon drinker so I can not taste the alcohol in this drink but you sure can feel it in about 10 minutes. No more than 2 a day.

by the way mermaid water may have to be special ordered, did not see it on any drink list, perfect hot day drink. I am a previous scotch drinker turned bourbon drinker so I can not taste the alcohol in this drink but you sure can feel it in about 10 minutes. No more than 2 a day.

Good morning from a fellow Georgian!! This drink sounds very good and will have to try it sometime. Hope you like the Divina as much as we do. Just remember, she has a very European feel. If you need drink service while sitting in the bar or around the pool, just get the attention of one of the bar servers walking around. They are not in your face trying to sell drinks. If you find a server you like and look for them a few times, they will remember you and come to you for your order. Also, as you may have read, the MDR service is laid back and not rushed - usually. Of course, if you are in the Yacht Club, then no problem with service of any kind. Enjoy your cruise and look forward to hearing your opinions.

Good morning from a fellow Georgian!! This drink sounds very good and will have to try it sometime. Hope you like the Divina as much as we do. Just remember, she has a very European feel. If you need drink service while sitting in the bar or around the pool, just get the attention of one of the bar servers walking around. They are not in your face trying to sell drinks. If you find a server you like and look for them a few times, they will remember you and come to you for your order. Also, as you may have read, the MDR service is laid back and not rushed - usually. Of course, if you are in the Yacht Club, then no problem with service of any kind. Enjoy your cruise and look forward to hearing your opinions.

Great advice for the first timers Cruiser!!!!

thanks for all the comments, from what I surmise this cruise line has its own personality running on caribbean time as they say on the islands. thats fine i am an easy traveler. as long as there is free food and reasonably priced drinks I am happy. I am thinking the following:

St Maarten: head to orient beach, wife hasnt been and kids love it. maybe rent a jeep at dockside and go to orient beach and hit maho beach on way back. otherwise taxi to orient beach and get a kayak or let kids parasail.

San Juan: see if can schedule ziplining for kids and send wife to spa. otherwise walk off ship explore old city and fort.

Great Stirrup Cay: have already rented a clamshell. May snorkel with kids and let them hit the water park.

as for beverage packages, too many to choose from. wait till i get onboard. kids will need some sort of drink package. unlimited looks pricey so may do 10-15 drinks at a time package. will definitely do the milkshake package for the kids and coffee for the wife and I. We are not big alcohol drinkers so wife and I may drink 10 alcohol drinks combined the whole time and maybe one or two bottles of wine. We may definitely hit the steakhouse one night if we dont like the dining room food.

It is spring break time for atlanta schools so expect a crowded boat and crowded islands. may have to drink more than usual if wait times are long...

dont forget your suntan lotion. Target sells individual suntan spray bottles in the travel section. Let see if i can convince a bartender to make me mermaid water..............

hello everyone:

nO,NO,NO don't go snorkel in San Juan . It's a beautiful city you must walk around and see it . You don't even need excursion ,ship docked right in DT. there is beautiful beach in St.Marten across the port. Just go on ferry ride and you are there. No naked 70 years old for sure:eek: and huge shopping area just behind the beach.I went to Orient Beach once and it was last time I did so.

😄 we are stopping in Jacksonville tomorrow night - originally we were staying in Cocoa tomorrow night but DH cannot enter grades In until tomorrow morning - so we will just settle for lunch at Diixie Crossroads in Tittusville and a quick visit to National Seashore (love the animal viewing - we've seen wild boar,manatees, and a huge Bobcat - so big I thought he was a Florida Panther.... But the black on his tail gave him away. I grew up in Miami with Grandparents inTittisville - so I know the are well. Wish there was a rocket launch - they are amazing and everything shakes. Will spend last two days in Hollywood where I grew up. Gonna hit the race trAck - horses- Friday ( I love horse racing at Gulfstream! see you on Board😄

Edited by SeaYa52

i used to live around there. one more thing. This could be sea turtle season down there. There are a lot of sea turtle tours offered around the Melbourne Beach area. MY favorite restaurant was the "Shack" in Melbourne area. Not sure if still there. The food was ok but the views of the intercoastal were amazing.

cu soon.....