NCL Spirit: Likes and/or dislikes of the Spirit

Pope Francis

We are long time NCL cruisers, however are taking our first cruise on the Spirit in January 2016. Likes and/or Dislikes, Favorite nooks and/or other layout comments, Staff Interactions...Your reviews please.

Thank you for starting this thread. We too are booked on the Spirit in Jan 2016, and now that we are approaching the 6 month mark I start to get excessively excited with planning and exploring.

Tom

This thread is great. Thank you so much for starting it!!! I too am going on the Spirit although not until April. :(. I am soaking up all the info I can on the Spirit as there really isn't a lot of information about her. We have been on several NCL ships. Different class ships. Each one different in there own way. Being a smaller ship we are hoping for the same type of experience that we always receive on the Sun.. My favorite ship. Being smaller I am thinking it will be more intimate. Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed each and every cruise. A vacation is what you make it! There is just something special with the Sun. The pictures I have seen on the Spirit do look beautiful! Any more experiences, comparisons or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Looking at photos on NCL.com and it seems there aren't any drawers for storage........all I see is a desk..how is the storage???

I don't remember about the storage as to where it was,but I do know there was plenty. We had absolutely no problem finding a place for everything.

Thank you for your comments...You are the 2nd person that has commented on the size of the cabins, at this point I am thankful that we reserved the largest available inside cabin.

Rust and showing her age I can deal with, but was struck and interested in your comment of her overall beauty. I found on the Sun that she wasn't pretty...However there were a couple of really relaxing places that we enjoyed spending time in and I hope there are those spots that we find on the Spirit as well.

Again, Thank You!

The beauty of the ship is the drawing feature. When NCL bought the ship, the beauty was already there and they restored it. As for rust, even the new ships have it, it's unavoidable with metal and salt water.

Looking at photos on NCL.com and it seems there aren't any drawers for storage........all I see is a desk..how is the storage???

There are drawers below the minibar cubicle-I think 4. There are also shelves inside of the closet to store things. :)

There are drawers below the minibar cubicle-I think 4. There are also shelves inside of the closet to store things. :)

Thanks.........I couldn't see that.ok,I feel better.....

We are two friends(leaving the men home) and right now,have an inside.....but seriously considering a balcony...those cabins look way too small for us..

The oceanview rooms 8500 & 8000 are huge rooms, larger then the balcony rooms and usually cheaper also. If you book early enough you can usually snag one of these two rooms.

The oceanview rooms 8500 & 8000 are huge rooms, larger then the balcony rooms and usually cheaper also. If you book early enough you can usually snag one of these two rooms.

Thanks.............

I have been looking at the balconies and noticed most are connecting.....does that mean you lose a loveseat or something??

We had no storage problems in an inside cabin, had two 50 lb bags and two max size carry ons. We spent 29 days on the Sun, 12 on the Spirit and thought the Spirit was the most beautiful, well designed ship we have sailed because of the items mentioned above. In addition there are some very nice meeting rooms available, all with an Asian theme. The staff on both ships were great, would gladly sail either one, but would prefer the Spirit.

We found the cabins to be very small. DH is not that tall, but he found the low sink in the bathroom and the shorter bed annoying. That being said, it was an enjoyable cruise. The food was good and the crew was great.

Everything on the Spirit was tiny, beds were narrow and SO hard. I requested two egg crates and they still felt like concrete blocks. Chairs were small and low to the floor, bathroom was tiny. The crew could not seem to handle the smallest request in the MDR, it took forever to get seating for four and the service was routinely dismissive and slow. We made it a great cruise, but not because of the ship! That was years ago though, so hope it has improved for your trip.

I will differ with most.

I am a large man and did not find anything (chairs, bed etc.) in the cabin to feel small. I actually felt a whole lot more cramped on the Sun (especially the bathroom).

There are shelves AND drawers floor to ceiling INSIDE the closet. My wife and I packed a lot for our 15 nights (12 cruise + 3 on land) and had plenty of storage room for everything.

Spirit is a great ship.

• 3 weeks later...
I was solo in 6535. Was huge. Big enough for 7 or 8 of us to have an alcoholic evening get together.

I have been looking at that cabin for my sailing. Did you find that it was noisy and crowed being so close to the stairs and elevators. We sleep with the tv on low volume for background noise anyways. Was the hall crowed with people leaving the ship on port days?

Thanks

DON'T DO IT!!! (Unless it has changed)

After they transformed the superstar leo into the ncl spirit my wife and I boarded on a beautiful day out of nyc for a 12 nighter. The weather in November was quite warm and we decided to get on the ship and check it out prior to sailing. One of the stops was the lounge up front and immediately noticed that the area around most of the sitting area's had not been cleaned prior to boarding. OK, no big deal. Even though it had recently been refurbished the paint, railings and some of the carpet looked pretty funky.

OK new so called ship maybe some human oversight. For the rest of the cruise public restrooms not clean, full trash cans and even STUFF on the seats. Other public area's not up to snuff. Just dirty and old, not like the Dawn. Thank GOD the weather was great in all the ports. I could go on and on. Wife will NEVER be seen on her again. P.S. Only thing worse is going on the Carnival Pride. (What an ironic name) I am not a cruise snob by any means but try the Gem like we will in Oct. or explorer of the seas or one of the Princess ships out of Brooklyn. Bummer; sorry. Tell's it like it is.

Joe

After they transformed the superstar leo into the ncl spirit my wife and I boarded on a beautiful day out of nyc for a 12 nighter. The weather in November was quite warm and we decided to get on the ship and check it out prior to sailing. One of the stops was the lounge up front and immediately noticed that the area around most of the sitting area's had not been cleaned prior to boarding. OK, no big deal. Even though it had recently been refurbished the paint, railings and some of the carpet looked pretty funky.

OK new so called ship maybe some human oversight. For the rest of the cruise public restrooms not clean, full trash cans and even STUFF on the seats. Other public area's not up to snuff. Just dirty and old, not like the Dawn. Thank GOD the weather was great in all the ports. I could go on and on. Wife will NEVER be seen on her again. P.S. Only thing worse is going on the Carnival Pride. (What an ironic name) I am not a cruise snob by any means but try the Gem like we will in Oct. or explorer of the seas or one of the Princess ships out of Brooklyn. Bummer; sorry. Tell's it like it is.

Joe

Just curious when you took this cruise? We had two fabulous cruises on the Spirit in 2010 & 2011 out of New Orleans to the Western Caribbean. In two weeks we will once again sail on her out of Barcelona for a 12 night Mediterranean cruise. During both of our previous cruises, we found the ship to be very clean and well serviced. Sorry to hear you had a less than stellar experience.

Edited by minaco

I have been looking at that cabin for my sailing. Did you find that it was noisy and crowed being so close to the stairs and elevators. We sleep with the tv on low volume for background noise anyways. Was the hall crowed with people leaving the ship on port days?

Thanks

Couldn't hear a thing, whether from elevator, stairs, next door, hallway.

I don't recall any part of the ship crowded with people leaving on port days as it was all docking..........any port with tenders whatever the ship from Oasis of the Seas to NCL Spirit is going to be crowded in the corridors and stairs on the lower decks. Mind you, I wasn't the first up in the morning.........

OK new so called ship maybe some human oversight. For the rest of the cruise public restrooms not clean, full trash cans and even STUFF on the seats. Other public area's not up to snuff. Just dirty and old, not like the Dawn.

Maybe the trash cans have been emptied, restrooms cleaned, and stuff on the seats removed at some point in the past ten years :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This thread is great. We will be sailing the Spirit for Thanksgiving and cant wait. We cruise several times a year and this will be the first on the Spirit. We are booked in an Ocean-view with 3 people and have been concerned that the cabins may be a little tight for 3. If anyone has any information on the ocean-view's that would be great. Thanks !!!

I personally loved this ship and we sailed on it shortly after it entered the NCL fleet. I had an inside cabin across from the suites I can't quite remember the deck but I know it was at least deck 10