Drinks Packages

lud016

Other than wine packages where one gets a selection of bottles of wine do Cunard have a Drinks Package that covers most other types of drinks eg Whisky, Baileys, Martini, or even a beer?

Or, is there no alternative other than to pay by the glass when wanting a drink in one of the bars or lounges?

As much searching as I have done the mention of wine is all that I seem to be able to find!

Edited by lud016

I have been on board when these have been offered and can not see any problem with it.

The passenger has to purchase the Cunard fare anyway for this offer.

If you enjoy drinking on board then you will notice a difference in your bar bill, as the 15% service charge is not added to your on board statement.

The price of the drinks up to $9 excluding service for Britannia guests and $12 for Grills is billed normally, but is wiped from your statement each night.

Edited by Pennbank

I have been on board when these have been offered and can not see any problem with it.

If you enjoy drinking on board then you will notice a difference in your bar bill, as the 15% service charge is not added to your on board statement.

The price of the drinks up to $9 excluding service for Britannia guests and $12 for Grills is billed normally, but is wiped from your statement each night.

Sounds good for me, not only for the convenience but also for the cost.:D

Of course you wouldn't see any problems with it ,if you're enjoying RADA bedtime ghost stories up in the Winter garden with a mug of hot chocolate.

Trying to attract the attention of a bar crew members who are run off their feet, and are already miffed at only receiving a flat rate rather than their usual 15% (Commodore/Chart room & late evening venues) aint much fun :(

Of course you wouldn't see any problems with it ,if you're enjoying RADA bedtime ghost stories up in the Winter garden with a mug of hot chocolate.

Trying to attract the attention of a bar crew members who are run off their feet, and are already miffed at only receiving a flat rate rather than their usual 15% (Commodore/Chart room & late evening venues) aint much fun :(

RADA is not on QE, The ship which started this promotion, although it is now being tried on some QM2 and QV Cruises in the future. The Till receipts show the added 15% which the Bar staff receive when Cunard started this promotion on QE.

The Drinks packages work well with other cruise lines so why should it not work with Cunard. The Ship after all is run for the passengers and shareholders profit, not for the Crew !

The Crew are usually ' looked after ' by most passengers anyway.

Just because the customer in this case is not paying the tab, should not make the crew not want to serve you.

Edited by Pennbank

RADA is not on QE, The ship which started this promotion, although it is now being tried on some QM2 and QV Cruises in the future. The Till receipts show the added 15% which the Bar staff receive when Cunard started this promotion on QE.

The Drinks packages work well with other cruise lines so why should it not work with Cunard. The Ship after all is run for the passengers and shareholders profit, not for the Crew !

The Crew are usually ' looked after ' by most passengers anyway.

Just because the customer in this case is not paying the tab, should not make the crew not want to serve you.

Our sentiments exactly, a wine package for dinner is great but it's those before dinner cocktails and G&T's also the late night ports that could be well accommodated as well with a Drinks Package...........hopefully for our sakes they will be in by the 2016 QE World Cruise!

Although the till receipts 'may show' the 15% and the guest still signs the receipt in the usual way ( I took out a promotion only recently) I suggest you discreetly ask a bar crew member the next time you're onboard a Cunard ship what they prefer.

Edited by Bell Boy

Although the till receipts 'may show' the 15% and the guest still signs the receipt in the usual way ( I took out a promotion only recently) I suggest you discreetly ask a bar crew member the next time you're onboard a Cunard ship what they prefer.

We have always found that a large number of guests still tip even when getting there drinks through a drinks package............surely this is to the staff members advantage, they are getting tipped twice!

The customer is still paying, it is simply pre-purchased, as for the gratuities, they would be included in the package price (like with other cruise lines).:D

Why should we ask about how a crew member gets paid, I find that to be none of our business. The offer a service and get paid for that, if I want to reward them extra, then I will tip, whether it is for a package or not.

I did out of interest, ask only about the 15% service/Gratuity when Cunard on QE first started this promotion package. I was wondering whether I should tip extra if they did not add the 15% Gratuity charge.

The bar stewardess was indifferent and she stated the company still had to honour their payment agreement, which meant the 15% which was added they still received. That is why it is still added to the receipt but not charged to the Customer under the present Cunard fare promotion.

In reality of course, the Customer is still paying by purchasing the Cunard Fare. The old saying goes, You get nothing for free in this life !

I don't care how the staff feel about it, If they can not accept change then they should not be onboard. As I said a ship is run for profit and passengers not for the staff who are looked after by most passengers anyway.

When this promotion started The Bar stewards/stewardess did not know which passengers had this deal, unless you told them anyway.

Edited by Pennbank

What are the prices for these drinks packages? :confused:

Its a promotion for 175th Anniversary and no charges except you must purchase the Cunard Fare on the selected Cruises.

Copied from UK Cunard's website

2015 is the year for luxury adventure and our featured cruise offers visit many must-see destinations around the world, with the lure of warm sunshine. As we continue to celebrate our 175th Anniversary Year we are offering inclusive drinks and on board spending money on selected cruises with our compliments.

Inclusive Drinks Offer

Cruise from Southampton 2015

Make your holiday on board our Queens even more enjoyable with complimentary drinks.

Make your holiday even more enjoyable with complimentary drinks on selected cruises. Simply book a Cunard Fare on the selection of cruises below and enjoy complimentary drinks up to an individual drink price of $9 if you are a Britannia guest and up to $12 each if you are travelling in a Grills Suite. Offer applies to new bookings made on the Cunard Fare for the cruises below made before 30 April 2015. View full T&Cs

As with an all inclusive holiday, your food is included in the price of your cruise, so you don't have to fork out to enjoy dinner. You will also find that most activities and entertainment are included too.

What's included:

Inclusive Drinks Offer Britannia Stateroom Guests Grill Suites Guests

Speciality Coffee ✔ ✔

Smoothies ✔ ✔

Beer ✔ ✔

Standard Spirits ✔ ✔

House Wine (glass) ✔ ✔

Selected Cocktails ✔ ✔

Selected Martinis ✔ ✔

Delamotte Champagne (glass) ✔ (Grills suites guests)

Edited by Pennbank

Does this include soft drinks such as Pepsi.

Yes

t&c from Cunard presently state

Inclusive Drinks

Terms & Conditions

Fares shown are per person based on two adults sharing the lowest grade of stateroom available within the applicable stateroom type and are subject to availability. Fares for sole occupancy and supplementary fares are available on request.

The inclusive drinks promotion applies to all drinks purchased onboard during the cruise that are priced up to $9 each for those booked in Britannia Staterooms, or $12 each for those booked in Grills Suites. The promotion applies to new bookings made by 30 April 2015 on the Cunard Fare. Valid on selected cruises departing May 2015 – January 2016. Drinks under this promotion can be purchased and consumed free of charge by the participant only (drinks may not be purchased for other people who are not on the promotion). Guests under 18 years of age may only purchase non-alcoholic drinks on this promotion. It is not possible to pay the difference for drinks purchased over the price threshold shown above - the full cost of such drinks will be chargeable. The standard 15% service charge levied against all bar orders will be included under this promotion for all drinks ordered under the price threshold. For drinks purchased over the price threshold, the 15% service charge will apply as standard. Drinks ordered on this promotion will be signed for in the normal way with the cost of the drinks appearing on the sales receipt - the cost is credited back to the folio on a nightly basis. This promotion does not apply to drinks ordered as room service (except Princess and Queens Grill), bottles of wine or drinks packages. See cunard.co.uk for more information. Cunard operates a Responsible Service of Alcohol Policy. Offer applies to the first two passengers sharing a stateroom.

Edited by Pennbank

Hopefully anyone taking up one of these drinks promotions will have better luck than me.

I don't think I'd bother with it again, I believe I paid much more than I usually would have paid for the trip and in the end didn't feel I'd had my monies worth.

In my experience I found bar crew members (late evening venues) rushed off their feet and for the first time ever the service appeared indifferent. Maybe there were other guests around (at the bar top) trying to get their monies worth too :D

However, I would certainly recommend the wine packages which work out very good value if you enjoy a glass or two with lunch or dinner in the restaurant, or if you visit any of alternative dining venues. And, if you don't manage to consume all of the package you can taken taken them home. ;)

Hopefully anyone taking up one of these drinks promotions will have better luck than me.

I don't think I'd bother with it again, I believe I paid much more than I usually would have paid for the trip and in the end didn't feel I'd had my monies worth.

In my experience I found bar crew members (late evening venues) rushed off their feet and for the first time ever the service appeared indifferent. Maybe there were other guests around (at the bar top) trying to get their monies worth too :D

However, I would certainly recommend the wine packages which work out very good value if you enjoy a glass or two with lunch or dinner in the restaurant, or if you visit any of alternative dining venues. And, if you don't manage to consume all of the package you can taken taken them home. ;)

The old saying, 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth' springs to mind.

The free drinks promotion on selected cruises for the 175 year celebrations is only offered on the Cunard fare. Therefore technically free ! (Although we all know nothing is ever free) :D

When booking one would have to way up the amount usually spent on drinks and the price of the Saver fare/stateroom allocation and not minding the dining times given ! against the price of the Cunard fare (With complimentary drinks) and choosing the stateroom and dining time yourself.

Edited by Pennbank