Questions about upcoming trip

thatdarnpunk

Hi all,

I am a cruise noob setting sail for Western Caribbean on April 5 on celebrity silhouette. I have a few questions:

1. We have the premium drink package but some say it is difficult to get drinks because of crowds at bars and uninterested bartenders. Have any of you had issues?

2. What type of currency should we bring if we want to do excursions? Does the ship have banking services that will allow us to withdraw local currency?

3. For port days, does the ship offer any food or drink on land that is included? I heard that some lines have bbq or bars set up for passengers and was wondering if on ship privileges extend there.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am a cruise noob setting sail for Western Caribbean on April 5 on celebrity silhouette. I have a few questions:

1. We have the premium drink package but some say it is difficult to get drinks because of crowds at bars and uninterested bartenders. Have any of you had issues? Some folks will say it is very easy and others will say the waits were terrible. Take the extreme views with a grain of salt. I usually have the Premium package and there are plenty of bars and options for you to get drinks, most without any wait time. The Martini Bar will be popular (i.e., crowded) from 5-8 pm, but that's typical. Common sense prevails about these kinds of matters.

2. What type of currency should we bring if we want to do excursions? Does the ship have banking services that will allow us to withdraw local currency? The ship currency is in USD. Their are ATMs available on the ship to obtain funds (usually with a steep fee). If you will need US Dollars during your trip, I would recommend obtaining them prior to boarding the ship.

Since we don't know where you live or are traveling from to get on the ship, make the judgement call for where/how much to pull from an ATM prior to getting on the ship. Many places in the Caribbean will accept US Dollars when in port along with whatever other currency that is local to your port destinations.

Port shore excursions offered through the ship will be charged to your seapass account. Private excursions offered through your roll call or that you find on your own in port will most likely accept US Dollars.

3. For port days, does the ship offer any food or drink on land that is included? I heard that some lines have bbq or bars set up for passengers and was wondering if on ship privileges extend there. If your ship itinerary has a stop at Labadee, then YES, you will have the option for a bbq (and beverages through your Premium Package) at this port stop (a Celebrity/Royal Caribbean private island). Also, some shore excursions may provide an included lunch, but this comes with the fee that you will pay for the shore excursion. Inquire at the Shore Excursion desk if you have questions. Otherwise, you will be responsible for food on your own at other port stops.

Thanks! Enjoy your cruise!

See my comments above in RED.

Edited by vulcan1971

US Dollar is accepted everywhere you are going. Absolutely no need to convert currency. Ship drink package is honored in Labadee. Current reports do not indicate service issues with the drink package. There is also a great roll call for your cruise on the Celebrity Roll Call board. Come on over and join the fun.

Cheers

Ken

No one can predict how easy or difficult it will be to get a drink at any bar...but it has nothing to do with you having a drink package or not....sometimes they are just understaffed...some times they are overstaffed...it happens.

The ship will convert currency for you, if needed. While they say they don't charge any commission, they actually charge 5%, but it's built into the rate. You will probably pay the same or more at restaurants or shops on shore. The best way to "change" money is to use a credit card with no foreign exchange fee (but make sure the store/restaurant charges you in native currency....don't let them be helpful and convert it for you before you sign the charge card, a tourist scam)...or use an ATM using a bank/card that doesn't charge a currency conversion fee and refunds any ATM fee.

We use the schwab bank card when travelling...no conversion fees if used as a credit card...and no conversion fees taking money out of an ATM...and they refund any ATM fees. Schwab also has an investment account charge card, but they charge a 1% fee the last time I looked.