Riviera Trans-Atlantic April 2015

Hambagahle

Enjoyed your postings Gerry. So very sorry we did not get to meet as planned on the trip. Perhaps we will meet on another sailing.

Jim is doing much better and we hope he will be in tip top shape for our Regatta Alaska in June. Safe and pleasant (if that can be done these days) travel home. Deb

Great news about Jim, Deb -- and all the very best for the Alaska cruise in the summer.

Well - all good things come to an end I suppose! We came quietly into Barcelona harbour this morning and were moored by about 0545. We had a light breakfast served in the suite and then left - bringing wonderful memories with us - to disembark. We had been told we could leave any time we wished and just walked off at about 0800. Being Swiss there was no real passport control - a policeman looked at our passports and that was that. Next thing we were in the baggage claim area and found out 3 suitcases and a waiting porter who took us to a taxi. We checked into the hotel (DO Reial on the Plaça Reial) 10 minutes later. No more than 35mins suite to hotel! Our room was ready which was a real miracle :) and right now we are just killing time before the shops open. The hotel is a small boutique hotel and very nice - so far anyway.

I will be writing a proper review of the cruise later but when we left the ship we had the feeling that everything about it - cruise (except Gibraltar!), staff, fellow guests, suite etc had been perfect. The old "exceeded expectations" line to check I suppose. It is sad that it is over but it is so wonderful that all went so well. (Now we just have to keep fingers crossed that the French ATC people work at least a little bit tomorrow so we can get to Zürich!)**

To all whom we met on the ship - thanks for being you! The nicest group of passengers ever! To the staff of the Riviera - you couldn't possibly have done more for everyone! And I am sure that all of us thank you enormously.

All the very best to everyone!

Gerry

**Ken just called over that he just read that the strike is cancelled. Home tomorrow then!!

I think you will find that the ships going into the less than salubrious Gib, is because of the favourable price of fuel!

I certainly agree that it is one of the ports that is best considered a "sea day".

Thanks for the reports.

I'm glad to hear your trip went so well, Gerry. We have not yet come back down to earth following our Singapore to Shanghai WC segment. The itinerary was amazing but I was also very pleased with the condition of Insignia and the quality of the staff. The food was superb.

I do envy you your short trip home from Spain. We are still recovering from the flight from Shanghai.

I think you're spot on with your comment about expectations.

Will look forward to your review.

We were able to disembark around 8:45 AM with no lines...not even for the taxi to the hotel! Our room was not ready but that was ok...we hadn't planned for it to be (nice that yours was Gerry!! :) ) We walked quite aways from the hotel...pass the Gaudi houses and down to Las Rambla...checked into the market..it is SO amazing...and then a taxi to the Sagrada Famalia Cathedral...I had pre-booked the interior tour...and it was amazing...I started to cry as soon as we walked in...it was so beautiful and amazing!! Hope I can see it finished in 2020!! Then a taxi to the Park Guell...we had been there before in the rain and wanted to see it in bright sunshine (which we had today...in spades!!) and it did not disappoint! We are now back at the hotel waiting to meet up with a HS friend who now lives in Barcelona and he is taking us out to have tapas tonight!! How fun is that??? Tomorrow we have a full day tour with our CC members to Montserrat and then dinner with a CC friends we met on the cruise at the "Four Cats"...Friday we are going to go to Monjaic (spelling?) and then home on Saturday!! Sure can't wait to see our "Stewie"....that's our doggie!! I agree with Gerry..lots and lots of nice passengers on board...I played ToNS of Mah Jongg and learned ToNS about strategy with the game...and we had such fun at Trivia!! DH ended up with a beautiful blue O tee shirt!! I do have some comments about the night and day of disembarkation...but will save that for another day...as I need to get downstairs to those tapas!! :)

I think you will find that the ships going into the less than salubrious Gib, is because of the favourable price of fuel!

I certainly agree that it is one of the ports that is best considered a "sea day".

Thanks for the reports.

...and indeed we DID refuel in Gibraltar. Which explains something at least. But when there are other ports with far more interesting possibilities for excursions (Cadiz to Sevilla, Malaga to Granada for two) why on earth Gibraltar??

...and indeed we DID refuel in Gibraltar. Which explains something at least. But when there are other ports with far more interesting possibilities for excursions (Cadiz to Sevilla, Malaga to Granada for two) why on earth Gibraltar??

I have been on Riviera to all of the ports you mentioned, except for Gibralter. It always sounded so exotic and now am happy to know I have not missed anything. After Agadir :(, Casablanca was too exotic for us and we stayed on the ship. I must say we did enjoy Madeira and had a wonderful lunch at Reids Palace, happy to see you enjoyed the cable car :)

Edited by portofinoitaly

After Agadir :(, Casablanca was too exotic for us and we stayed on the ship. I must say we did enjoy Madeira and had a wonderful lunch at Reeds Palace, happy to see you enjoyed the cable car :)

Would you say more about this, potofinoitaly? I'm interested.

The final night and disembarkation morning...was a bit of a disappointment. Came back to the cabin after dinner and many items "missing"...eg. robes/washcloths???/pillows for the sofa etc....little things but items that I normally use...and to me...the cruise is not over yet!! Why should those items be taken away? The AM up at the Terrace Grill there were very few staff members...and I didn't see any supervisors at all??? Where were they all? I understand that this was a disembarkation and the beginning of a dry dock...but there were many of us there to have our final breakfast on board...and no wait staff to re-fill coffee/OJ etc....I realize this is NOT the end of the world...but when you ask someone for OJ and/or coffee and they say "In a moment" and then walk away..twice...and never come back...it's like...then you look around and there are only a very few staff around??? If it's going to be short staffed because of this special situation...just let me know...so I know what to expect and I'll take care of myself..something I think we all do at home, right? :) LuAnn

Would you say more about this, potofinoitaly? I'm interested.

We had not been to Spain or Portugal and O had a great itinerary that went to both, along with Canary Islands (interesting) and Morocco (yuck).

Typically, when we cruise we plan ahead and I research very high end luxury hotels in the area and we plan to have a special lunch vs seeing every cathedral and museum imaginable. Reids Palace is a Belmond hotel within walking distance of the town. The grounds are gorgeous, the hotel spectacular and the many nooks and crannies built into the rocky seaside for sunbathing are something to see. Lovely lunch was served buffet style, very European in its offerings and we dined al fresco overlooking the pool and sea. We tend to travel and explore this way and are not ones to rush back to ship for the included lunch. Our cruise is just a floating hotel for us to get us to our destination for exploration.

Regarding ports of call on T/As...it would be wonderful if there were some other choices!! But I'm not sure there are..obviously everyone has their ideas of what they like or don't like...we loved Agadir...those goats up in the trees were amazing as was the bazaar...enjoyed Casablanca ( great to go to Rick's Place...even if it wasn't REAL!!???) as well as many other ports mentioned in Spain...how about Lisbon??..is that too much up the coast to include?? Maybe...anyway...just happy I'm on a T/A...in fact..I could just go around in a circle and be happy!! :)

Reids Palace..I too do my research when I cruise...and find it fun to go to very special places..to have a drink..and this was "on my radar"...but we didn't make it this time...maybe this fall...when we are there again!! Fun to find new places each and every time we are in a place!!! LuAnn

Reids Palace..I too do my research when I cruise...and find it fun to go to very special places..to have a drink..and this was "on my radar"...but we didn't make it this time...maybe this fall...when we are there again!! Fun to find new places each and every time we are in a place!!! LuAnn

When in Madeira...you must drink Madeira wine, of course.

Regarding ports of call on T/As...it would be wonderful if there were some other choices!! But I'm not sure there are..obviously everyone has their ideas of what they like or don't like...we loved Agadir...those goats up in the trees were amazing as was the bazaar...enjoyed Casablanca ( great to go to Rick's Place...even if it wasn't REAL!!???) as well as many other ports mentioned in Spain...how about Lisbon??..is that too much up the coast to include?? Maybe...anyway...just happy I'm on a T/A...in fact..I could just go around in a circle and be happy!! :)

RE: Lisbon, lovely city and we did the HOHO to see the sights. I highly recommend taking a tour to Sintra with it's wonderful architecture and flora. A group on our O cruise took an overnight trip to Marrakech and met the ship in Casablanca. That would have the way to go for us and stay at a luxury hotel vs having the cobras and camels being shoved in our face at the market in Agadir YIKES!

Thank you, portofinoitaly, your insight on Agadir is helpful and I like the way you travel.

Casablanca was too exotic for us and we stayed on the ship.)

I'm fairly ignorant about the Med. Will you say a bit about Casablanca being too exotic?

Thank you, portofinoitaly, your insight on Agadir is helpful and I like the way you travel.

I'm fairly ignorant about the Med. Will you say a bit about Casablanca being too exotic?

I was being facetious when I said Casablanca was a bit too exotic ;-)..Agidir was very dirty and the Concierge on board told me she does not get off in Morocco because it is a bit too exotic for her. I fully understood what she meant after Agadir and we chose to view the Mosque from on board vs a Casablanca tour. We do not do third world countries or go anywhere you need unusual shots either. Just our choice and that kind of travel is not luxury for us.

"Have some Madeira, m'dear? It's ever so better than beer..."

And we did that Don!!..to me it's a little like port, don't you think? I found our in Trivia on this cruise that Madeira wine was served at the signing of the Declaration of Independence...how cool is that??? :) LuAnn

I am thinking a cruise that encompasses ports in Portugal soon will be added to my bookings ... I adore gardens, flora and the sea!

About 2 years ago we did a 7 day cruise from Lisbon to Southampton, spending 3 days first in Lisbon area and then heading up the coast to Porto and on to Bilbao, Spain etc. Spent extra time in London. Absolutely want to go back to Portugal and to Bilbao. Beautiful places and wonderful people.