Daysail

Joby

I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this--

We will be in Tortola for 1 day next February from 8 am-5 pm and were thinking about doing a day sail while there.

We initially thought of going to see The Baths, many seem to say it's a "must do".

I contacted-- Patouche, Kuralu, Aristocat, and Mystique.

Of the 4, Mystique is the only one not to respond after 2 attempts.

Patouche said no problem going to The Baths $120/pp

Kuralu said we would have to take a 20 minute taxi to their spot and we would go to Jost Van Dyke OR Norman Island $110/pp

Aristocat said that The Baths would not be the best choice for our time there as going there goes against the winds and can be a roughish ride and takes much longer so less time to snorkel and hike $120/pp

Aristocat suggested a better trip to do for us would be to Salt Island, Cooper Island and Peter Island. It had better snorkeling and less crowds. And, we would leave right from the cruise ship dock area. No one else mentioned that factor about the winds and the crowds at The Baths.

We would like to see The Baths (I think) just because many say it's so special. We really want some good snorkeling and sailing, want to avoid loads of people and want to maximize our time but, don't want to regret either wasting time going to The Baths OR missing The Baths and wishing we didn't.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this--

We will be in Tortola for 1 day next February from 8 am-5 pm and were thinking about doing a day sail while there.

We initially thought of going to see The Baths, many seem to say it's a "must do".

I contacted-- Patouche, Kuralu, Aristocat, and Mystique.

Of the 4, Mystique is the only one not to respond after 2 attempts.

Patouche said no problem going to The Baths $120/pp

Kuralu said we would have to take a 20 minute taxi to their spot and we would go to Jost Van Dyke OR Norman Island $110/pp

Aristocat said that The Baths would not be the best choice for our time there as going there goes against the winds and can be a roughish ride and takes much longer so less time to snorkel and hike $120/pp

Aristocat suggested a better trip to do for us would be to Salt Island, Cooper Island and Peter Island. It had better snorkeling and less crowds. And, we would leave right from the cruise ship dock area. No one else mentioned that factor about the winds and the crowds at The Baths.

We would like to see The Baths (I think) just because many say it's so special. We really want some good snorkeling and sailing, want to avoid loads of people and want to maximize our time but, don't want to regret either wasting time going to The Baths OR missing The Baths and wishing we didn't.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

You received some excellent feedback, and you're very fortunate to have these options!!!!

Patouche is excellent, if you want the Baths which are a unique experience, just go.

Aristocat is also excellent and goes to different snorkel spots. For snorkeling these spots cannot be beat.

Kuralu is going t the west that day and is another great experience.

So for snorkeling it's Aristocat, for a nice daysail the other 2. Yes, the Baths will be crowded when the bulk of the cruisers arrive there...

Edited by blue_water

You received some excellent feedback, and you're very fortunate to have these options!!!!

Patouche is excellent, if you want the Baths which are a unique experience, just go.

Aristocat is also excellent and goes to different snorkel spots. For snorkeling these spots cannot be beat.

Kuralu is going t the west that day and is another great experience.

So for snorkeling it's Aristocat, for a nice daysail the other 2. Yes, the Baths will be crowded when the bulk of the cruisers arrive there...

Thanks for the info and opinions. Snorkeling and sailing sounds like more fun than big boulders and crowds. I just keep asking myself why everyone is so enamoured with The Baths? What am I not seeing in the popularity?

Aristocrat has 2 different routes-- one sails to Norman Island and the other route is to Salt, Peter and Cooper Islands.

Any thoughts on theses 2 routes?

baths are just a unique experience, you can see several YouTube videos and decide if it's not for you. Going on a non cruise ship day is the best time of course, so if you return for a land vacation that would be the ideal time to visit the Baths.

For the Aristocat options, Norman is popular with the caves and Indians, but the other option is also great. Since we don't snorkel a lot I'd defer you to other sources for useful feedback.

I would read reviews on Aristocat on tripadvisor dot com and see what others say about their experiences with either option. Also you can get great feedback on the best snorkeling spots at the BVI forum on TTOL - traveltalkonline dot com.

Have a great day, I know Aristocat is for sale but is a very popular daysail.