Anthem 9nt. SJ or D1?

Hi everyone. Would love your opinions!

The difference in price for the 9-night Anthem cruise I'm researching is approximately $1300 more for the SJ.

I love the look, square footages of the balcony & cabin, midship bumpout location and 1.5 baths of the SJ and DH and I wouldn't be dodging each other for 9 nights.

The D1, however, is a consideration due to price. DH and I would make the space work, fingers crossed. :D

Thank you!

Edited by madelinerose

We were in a Spa JS (SJ) on Quantum. Really liked it. Best location on the ship on the hump. No overhang from the deck above. Not as big as a JS on other ships, but the extra room was very nice. Also gave us access to Coastal Kitchen which we really enjoyed. The split bathroom was nice. A sink and toilet in one and a bath, separate shower, and sink in the other.

We were in 12638. We are D+ so it was nice to be on the same deck as the Concierge Lounge. It is really nice.

I'm not sure I'd pony up $1300 extra for it though. Friends we were traveling with were in a balcony D4. I think they might have had as much closet space as we did. Just not the room. The Spa JS, because of the split bathroom does lose some closet space.

Anyway, I loved the cabin and the location. Convenient to the elevators, extra room, split bath, larger balcony with 2 lounge chairs with stools, no overhang from upper deck.

Hope this helps your decision.

We were in a Spa JS (SJ) on Quantum. Really liked it. Best location on the ship on the hump. No overhang from the deck above. Not as big as a JS on other ships, but the extra room was very nice. Also gave us access to Coastal Kitchen which we really enjoyed. The split bathroom was nice. A sink and toilet in one and a bath, separate shower, and sink in the other.

We were in 12638. We are D+ so it was nice to be on the same deck as the Concierge Lounge. It is really nice.

I'm not sure I'd pony up $1300 extra for it though. Friends we were traveling with were in a balcony D4. I think they might have had as much closet space as we did. Just not the room. The Spa JS, because of the split bathroom does lose some closet space.

Anyway, I loved the cabin and the location. Convenient to the elevators, extra room, split bath, larger balcony with 2 lounge chairs with stools, no overhang from upper deck.

Thanks papaflamingo. The SJ will be on Deck 7 and we are not D+. Closet space seems ample. Yes, my decision will be based on the $1300 difference. That's a nice chunk of change. ;)

Anyone else have any comments?

This is the choice I usually have to make (JS vs D1). I think I have done about 50/50 JS/GS vs D. (I have done one OS and I thought that it was more room than I needed)

I like the JS and above because it is really nice to have that space to walk around in. You're not all on top of each other. For 9 nights, I would definitely consider it. It would be more luxurious, spacewise.

On the other hand, $1300 is a good amount of money to save.

Being in a D for 9 nights would be a bit stressful for me. It feels fine when you are sitting on a chair, or in bed, or on the balcony, but when you are trying to do anything in the room I think it feels cramped.

If the cruise is 5 days or less I can even do an interior room but for 7 days and up I always consider the larger staterooms.

Edited by marci22

Anyone else have any comments?

When we did our b2b on Quantum, a total of 18 nights, we were in 7636 which is a Spa JS. The cabin is wonderful with ample storage, a bath with tub, sink and shower and then a bath with toilet and sink. The location was the best.

If you can swing it, I would definitely go for the Spa JS.

When we did our b2b on Quantum, a total of 18 nights, we were in 7636 which is a Spa JS. The cabin is wonderful with ample storage, a bath with tub, sink and shower and then a bath with toilet and sink. The location was the best.

Thanks Patti. I booked the SJ during the WOW sale, but have been 2nd guessing myself. :rolleyes:

Did you have any issues with smoke from Deck 5 while on the balcony? I'm "on the list" for a higher deck, but certainly not counting on it.

I've watched a YouTube video of the SJ several times and I think we'll be very pleased. The half bath will be a big plus.

I cannot believe it just dawned on me that there's only 1 toilet, correct? :rolleyes:

I cannot believe it just dawned on me that there's only 1 toilet, correct? :rolleyes:

In the RC description, it sounds that way, but if you look at the cabin graphic, it looks like 2 toilets. Also listen to this video, she describes the bathrooms and you can see toilet/sink in one and tub/shower/toilet/sink in the other. Take a dramamine first

My editing: "The cabin is wonderful with ample storage, a bath(ROOM) with tub, sink and shower (and toilet) and then a bath(ROOM) with toilet and sink."

Edited by marci22

In the RC description, it sounds that way, but if you look at the cabin graphic, it looks like 2 toilets. Also listen to this video, she describes the bathrooms and you can see toilet/sink in one and tub/shower/toilet/sink in the other. Take a dramamine first

My editing: "The cabin is wonderful with ample storage, a bath(ROOM) with tub, sink and shower (and toilet) and then a bath(ROOM) with toilet and sink."

Thanks, marci, I saw that one and yes, Dramamine definitely needed.

But, look at this one drug free. :D Where would the toilet be in the bath with shower?

I do all the planning, so when we get in the cabin I'll show DH the bath with the shower and tell him I got a heavy discount on the rate because we have to use the toilet down the hall. Can't wait to see his face. lol

Edited by madelinerose

Funny thing is I read papaflamingo's & cruisenfever's replies more than once, including RCI's SJ description and the light bulb just never came on. No problem. However, I would have preferred they swap out the tub for a 2nd toilet and more floor space in the bath. I don't own RCI, so.....;)

Edited by madelinerose

The floor plan I looked at showed two toilets but I think it was mislabeled on the site I viewed.

Yes, it appears that the SJS has 'split bath' and separate 'half bath with sink and toilet'. Took long enough to figure that one out.

Edited by marci22