Cell Phone use on board

Fun Loving

What is the cost for using ship's wifi? Is it part of the internet minutes you need purchase?

The ship's wifi IS the internet and their pricing plans vary. You can do via a per minute charge at $.65 a minute or go for one of their many packages that you purchase a block of minutes. When you board, go to the computer room and take a look at all their internet packages and see what fits you best.

I bought the $40 global plan from Verizon on my January Carribbean cruise, I have an I phone 6s the plan DID NOT WORK, I spent more time on the islandscalling Verizon then I even want to remember, I could send texts but could not receive them unless I was connected to wi fi my phone number did not work for incoming calls. Verizon reps do not know anything about global usage, they tell you what they have been told to say, this is my third cruise where I went to great lengths to make sure my phone worked and it did not! I am happy to say though it worked great from Alaska

Our experience with Verizon on cruises has not been satisfactory. However, on a December cruise on Equinox, we had the internet package and were able to make phone calls through WhatsApp, along with the more usual texts of course. It is internet based, but works very well provided the person on the other end has WhatsApp (free download) and at that moment has an internet connection which, in addition to WiFi, AFAIK can also be LTE from your cell carrier. Calls made this way are free anywhere in the world.

It was very handy because we had a health crisis with one of our dogs. We just had the vet download WhatsApp and we were in business, and spent a great deal of time on the phone with them as they tracked down what it was. The dog is fine, but my wallet is now lighter.

WhatsApp is owned by Facebook. I don't use Facebook but I think they now have a similar phone capability, which if so is probably the same and is routed through the WhatsApp system. Just a guess. Anyway, it may be that the best way to make calls from the ship these days is to have an internet package and use it -- just be sure the person you wish to reach has the same software and is connected to the net.

Edited by jan-n-john

We've used AT&T Cellular at Sea:

$30 50 Overage:$1.00/min. No texts, no data

$60 50 Overage:$1.00/min. 100 Texts Overage: $0.50/message sent

(text, picture, video) No data

$120 50 Overage:$1.00/min. 100 Texts Overage: $0.50/message sent

(text, picture, video)

100MB Data Overage: $10.00/10MB

Only used the $30 plan. Worked great at sea in Europe. Does not work in ports. You would need an international roaming plan.

If you are using the ATT plan on RCI, X, or Azamara and travelling in the Caribbean, the plan is extended to work on land as well. But, you must make at least one call from the ship first to "activate" this feature.

Steve

The ship's wifi IS the internet and their pricing plans vary. You can do via a per minute charge at $.65 a minute or go for one of their many packages that you purchase a block of minutes. When you board, go to the computer room and take a look at all their internet packages and see what fits you best.

Exactly. On Reflection last month we found that internet worked just fine but it is not like Wi-Fi at Starbucks. Some of the internet based communication apps worked, IE Facebook, but others were blocked.

My current mobile carrier is Verizon Wireless. I'm trying to figure out if I can send text and access internet from my phone (withoout roaming charges)? I'm having difficulty sorting it all out; some say I need a global plan, some say you have to pay for ships wifi access and now I'm seeing something about Wireless Maritime Services. I know the last time (2010) I was on Celebrity I was able to post pics to facebook and send text messages and didn't have additional charges through Verizon (nor did I pay the ship for access). Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!!

We purchased Passport international Verizon plan for 40 dollars (32 with wife's corp discount): 100 minutes, 100 messages and 100 mgb data (not enough but still something). You can use it on Celebrity ship and in ports. Much cheaper option than X internet.

My current mobile carrier is Verizon Wireless. I'm trying to figure out if I can send text and access internet from my phone (withoout roaming charges)? I'm having difficulty sorting it all out; some say I need a global plan, some say you have to pay for ships wifi access and now I'm seeing something about Wireless Maritime Services. I know the last time (2010) I was on Celebrity I was able to post pics to facebook and send text messages and didn't have additional charges through Verizon (nor did I pay the ship for access). Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!!

I learned the hard way. $700 later......

Put the cell away on the ship and just use at ports off of the ship.

Just enjoy the cruise:cool:

Cruise guests can use their cell phone to make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, access email and surf the web. Wireless Maritime Service offers an advanced roaming network onboard all Celebrity Cruises ships.

The Wireless Maritime Service is available for use once the ship is in international waters. When the ship is at sea and the system is on, guests will see "NOR18," "901-18" or "cellularatsea" on their mobile display. Guests will be billed at rates similar to international roaming which will be added to their monthly bill by their home network.

For questions about service or billing, guests should contact their home network customer service.

Note: Wireless Maritime Service provides the cellular service onboard all Celebrity ships except for Celebrity Eclipse®, which is provided by OnWaves.