Can anyone tell me if this is true...

Worldtraveler 4727

This comment was made recently:

"I have been told by Princess, that if the museums, (in Florence) are closed on the day that the ship is in port, and you book that tour, they have a special dispensation and you will get in....Again, I have no idea if this is true, but it is what I have been told."

Does anyone know if this is true??

I'm not sure if it was on Princess or not, but the ship's excursion took place even though the museum was closed. Some museums apparently make deals with some cruise lines. If Princess if offering a tour to an otherwise closed museum, I would feel quite confident that the tour will be a go.

As others have said, anything is possible, but I would be more inclined to believe this of a private museum (like the Vatican museums, for example) vs. a public one like the Uffizi or the Accademia where several unions would be involved in negotiating a deviation from the published hours.

Having heard lies flow easily from the mouths of cruise ship personnel, I'd check with passengers on the Princess board to find someone who has actually experienced this before I'd believe it.

Edited by euro cruiser

Specific to Princess, I have read reports of folks who were told they would be able to get into the Vatican museum on a day when it is closed -- this turned out NOT to be true and they were not happy.

On the other hand, I know first-hand that Princess (and other lines) are able to get into Haghia Sophia and Topkapi Palace on days when they are normally closed (Mondays and Tuesdays, respectively).

I think it much depends on the country and their willingness to make a deal with the agencies that manage the shore excursions.

I would not hold out hope, absent some positive experiences from previous cruisers, that you would be able to get into the main museums in Florence (e.g., Uffizi and Accademia).