Grandeur of the Seas & Mobiity Scooter

fair-winds39

If you have sailed on the Grandeur from Baltimore with a mobility scooter, can you tell me how steep the gangplank/ramp was at embarkation, plus, in the dining room or specialty restaurants, does the waiter take the scooter and bring it back after dinner? I've used my scooter (Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus) on Carnival, and they take the scooter out of the way for the dining room and bring it back after dinner.

This will be my third cruise with a scooter, but first scooter trip with RCCL, and Grandeur is small in comparison to other ships we've sailed on. I'm not concerned about getting around the ship with the scooter, I'm okay with that, and the scooter will fit just fine in the cabin. I was just curious about scooting to the dining room, and the Grandeur in general as far as accessibility.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I had wheelchair assistance for embarkation and picked up the scooter in my room. I was led to an entrance on the first deck that had a small incline -- easy enough for the crew members to be able to navigate the wheelchair up. I would assume those with scooters would enter the ship the same way. Everybody else snakes through a few levels of incline to enter on deck 4.

In the dining room and specialty restaurants, the scooter was taken away and parked in an open area near the door. However, I saw a few people in chairs and in scooters at their tables. Those who had scooters were able to turn their seats to the side and this allowed easier access to the table. I suggest you check in with the head waiter upon arrival so that you can check out the dining arrangements.

Grandeur is a wonderful ship and her crew is the best! They will work hard to accommodate your needs. Have a wonderful cruise!

Found Baltimore one of the easier ports when it came to boarding the ship with a scooter. Though it was the Brilliance and not the Grandeur all wheelchairs, scooter boarded by a separate entrance at ground level with just a slight incline of a ramp. Believe it was the service/crew entrance.

Edited by xxoocruiser

At the bottom of the ramp you will be asked if you have a full charge on your scooter batteries. If you say yes you will be directed up the ramp. If you require a higher than 15" commode and a bed at normal height you need to corral a Cabin Steward to get you a extended seat and bed leg extensions. Please be careful when you go to the peommenade dexk for Muster drill as the sill to teh door was raided and my DW was unable to clear it. IMHO Grandeur of the Seas is probably the least handicapped friendly ship in the fleet.

At the bottom of the ramp you will be asked if you have a full charge on your scooter batteries. If you say yes you will be directed up the ramp.

If you require a higher than 15" commode and a bed at normal height, you need to corral a Cabin Steward to get you a extended seat and bed leg extensions.

Please be careful when you go for Muster drill as the sill to the door outside was raised and my DW was unable to clear it.

IMHO Grandeur of the Seas is probably the least handicapped friendly ship in the fleet.