Craziest thing you admit to OR actually heard someone complaining about on a cruise?

snorkelman

You could have an international agreement for doctors to declare such medical situations and have passports endorsed accordingly. Then as soon as security started scanning you could refer them to the endorsement would save a lot of messing about.

Regards John

Again it would be far to easy to fake or abuse. There is no problem with the way it is handled now.

First cruise out of San Juan, there must have been one of the resident specials that you see from time to time. A group of 5 southern women standing in the atrium complained loudly to some crew members and other passengers that "these people" should go back to their own country. One crew member pointed out to the ladies that they are a part of the US and the women went ballistic.

First cruise out of San Juan, there must have been one of the resident specials that you see from time to time. A group of 5 southern women standing in the atrium complained loudly to some crew members and other passengers that "these people" should go back to their own country. One crew member pointed out to the ladies that they are a part of the US and the women went ballistic.

Wow, I'm really glad we weren't on that cruise. My husband's family is Puerto Rican and we did our first cruise together out of San Juan so he could show me around. He definitely has that Latin fire to him, not sure if he could have avoided making a scene

Again it would be far to easy to fake or abuse. There is no problem with the way it is handled now.

I do still keep mine in my wallet, but it's just in case I'm in an accident. I was shown by a TSA agent how to walk through the scanner and avoid setting off the alarm. It works most of the time. You walk through at a steady, slightly quicker than normal pace. He showed me how the scanner will find the metal and spike, but with the quicker pace it won't go high enough to set off the alarm because there isn't enough metal in there to do it. This won't work if you're trying to sneak a gun through, however. :)

That never works at Atlanta but almost always works at Tucson. I don't mind the scanning tubes and never refuse them and ask for a patdown. I've never had a problem with a patdown and really don't understand the people who go off the deep end about it.

One incident I remember was at breakfast there was a full, large plate with Mango slices at the buffet. The woman in front asked the server for the Mango and they proceeded to put some on a small plate for her. Not good enough........the woman demanded the whole plate full which the server gave her. Both the lovely girl serving and I stood there in amazement as the woman wandered of. The staff then had to send down to the kitchen to get a fresh lot of Mango cut and plated. The silly thing was the woman could have asked them to make up a special large plate but she obviously felt the rest of us could wait for Mango but she couldn't.

You obviously feel that the woman was to blame, and ITA. However, I also feel that the "lovely girl serving" was also to blame for having handed the plate to the woman. And I don't think that a server who hands over a whole plate of something to a passenger is "lovely," but maybe that's just me.

Because Laurie, sometimes you're hot and tired and cranky, and have been getting back on a cruise ship every day for a week. Sometimes you just get so..tired..of..it. We get punished for having artificial joints that we didn't want in the first place. Why can't it be ok to have one mini meltdown?

I do still keep mine in my wallet, but it's just in case I'm in an accident. I was shown by a TSA agent how to walk through the scanner and avoid setting off the alarm. It works most of the time. You walk through at a steady, slightly quicker than normal pace. He showed me how the scanner will find the metal and spike, but with the quicker pace it won't go high enough to set off the alarm because there isn't enough metal in there to do it. This won't work if you're trying to sneak a gun through, however. :)

That never works at Atlanta but almost always works at Tucson. I don't mind the scanning tubes and never refuse them and ask for a patdown. I've never had a problem with a patdown and really don't understand the people who go off the deep end about it.

My brother has screws in his back and foot--thanks for sharing this, I will pass it along to him.

He also takes it with a grain of salt.

You obviously feel that the woman was to blame, and ITA. However, I also feel that the "lovely girl serving" was also to blame for having handed the plate to the woman. And I don't think that a server who hands over a whole plate of something to a passenger is "lovely," but maybe that's just me.

I think sometimes they do what they do because it's easier than a confrontation.

Because Laurie, sometimes you're hot and tired and cranky, and have been getting back on a cruise ship every day for a week. Sometimes you just get so..tired..of..it. We get punished for having artificial joints that we didn't want in the first place. Why can't it be ok to have one mini meltdown?

Sorry, Sandy, I didn't mean you. I meant the various people I have heard complaining about it at the airports. I get tired of it, too, but then I think of the pain I was in before the hip was replaced and how close I came to just shooting my brains out and I manage to put up with it. :)

I had my replacement in 2003, and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. They can wand me and pat me down all they want and I wouldn't change a thing I did.

On our very first cruise many years ago, we were 30ish sailing on the Noordam. We were at a large table with an elderly couple who were very pretentious. She could not find one item on the whole menu to her liking.She special ordered everything and still didn't like anything. You know the drill......soup too hot, salad not cold enough, too large of a serving, etc. Her husband asked everyone to introduce themselves and say what their occupations were and how many cruises they had taken. They thought it was "so cute" that it was our first cruise and wondered how a police officer and RN could afford it. Needless to say, we did not return for any more dinners at that table.

Wow! I have friends who are a LEO and a RN and they earn over $150K between them. Certainly enough to afford a cruise every year--in a suite!

Actually, it would be and we have found that TSA agents are very skeptical of anything out of the ordinary. On our last cruise, my fiance had to get an emergency passport since his was stolen about two weeks before our cruise. He's an expat living in Mexico and so had to go to the Consulate in Hermosillo. His passport is thinner than a regular passport but otherwise identical. It clearly states it's a replacement for the prior passport and it's good for one year.

Since his California driver's license also was stolen and we didn't have time to get it replaced, we used his passport for an id at airport security. Because they hadn't seen one before, they gave us an hellacious time before letting us proceed. I was about to explode that it was clearly a valid picture id and that was all that was needed to board. He had a paper copy of his driver's license, also, and other id (scuba cert cards with his picture). We didn't need a passport to fly to Los Angeles from Tucson. But, I didn't because it only would have been worse and we needed to catch our flight.

So, I wouldn't expect much luck with TSA and an "endorsement" in the passport.

BTW, we had no problem using the emergency passport to board Carnival Legend at Long Beach.

Edited by Laurie S.

Actually, it would be and we have found that TSA agents are very skeptical of anything out of the ordinary. On our last cruise, my fiance had to get an emergency passport since his was stolen about two weeks before our cruise. He's an expat living in Mexico and so had to go to the Consulate in Hermosillo. His passport is thinner than a regular passport but otherwise identical. It clearly states it's a replacement for the prior passport and it's good for one year.

Since his California driver's license also was stolen and we didn't have time to get it replaced, we used his passport for an id at airport security. Because they hadn't seen one before, they gave us an hellacious time before letting us proceed. I was about to explode that it was clearly a valid picture id and that was all that was needed to board. He had a paper copy of his driver's license, also, and other id (scuba cert cards with his picture). We didn't need a passport to fly to Los Angeles from Tucson. But, I didn't because it only would have been worse and we needed to catch our flight.

So, I wouldn't expect much luck with TSA and an "endorsement" in the passport.

BTW, we had no problem using the emergency passport to board Carnival Legend at Long Beach.

I remember you going through that! Interesting how it ended up.

I'll get the card and put it in with my other travel docs and if we need it we will use it otherwise I won't bother pulling it out. I am having a stimulator put in my back. I wonder if I will get the same buzzzzz. :eek:

It's kind of funny how this thread keeps having little baby threads. It is interesting because it shows how people see the same situation differently. Of course, outright rudeness it always wrong, along with anything physical but I'm enjoying seeing things from other points of view.

I keep trying to think of things but I can't seem to come up with much.

One cruise we were traveling with my extended family which included small children. We had gone to the early show to get our seats and one of the kids had to go to the bathroom. Also, my sister in law had propped her leg up on her table because she was in so much pain and that gave her some relief. She was dying of cancer. Now our group consisted of around 15 people and we were there early to the show and only got up to go to the bathroom with one person sitting at the table of two. An older man walks up and starts to sit down. I told him my husband was in the bathroom and would be right back. So he goes to sit down at the next table. My brother tells him his wife is in the bathroom with one of the kids and will be right back. He yells "NO SAVING SEATS". Very shortly afterwards (like 3 minutes) both my DH and SIL return and sit back down. SIL elevates leg for a minute. He comes back and YELLS again how he does NOT want to share a table with someone who has put her leg up. We explain again that there are butts in the seat except to go to he bathroom. Keep in mind there were many empty seats, he just wanted that one.

Next time we are in the theater for a day time event he comes again to the front and complains. I actually went up to the cruise director and told him if that nasty old man gets near me again there will be a confrontation. He knew where he wanted to sit and God help the poor person sitting in his spot, even if we did get there first.

We were on a Med cruise. My DD was 20. Our luggage was lost for 10 or the 12 days so we wore the same thing to dinner every night (and day). This one lady kept staring at us giving us looks that could kill. It was so obvious that the waiters were making fun of the situation. Never directed at her BUT since she was so intent on watching us we decided to have fun with it. One night we brought the paper underwear the you get in the spa to dinner as a joke. Two of the waiters put them on over their pants while the third one wore it on his head. Cracked up our table and those around us.... all but that one lady.

Same lady. We bought our horse for the big race. We had him go naked since we had no clothes either. Well, as you know the horse racers get their "box" reserved seats at the race. That happened to be her seat for Bingo. OMG when the staff asked her to move to the other side of the room and my DD sat down I thought she was going to explode.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Wow! I have friends who are a LEO and a RN and they earn over $150K between them. Certainly enough to afford a cruise every year--in a suite![/Q

Yes, I know. We've enjoyed plenty of cruises and other luxuries in life. The couple were pretentious and snobs.

Yes it is pretty easy to fake an endorsement on a passport.:rolleyes:

It's the paperwork before it gets to the passport. Just like the people who fake service dogs and so many other things.