vegetarian options - recently on the breakaway

waxing witch

we'll be traveling in october 2015 on the breakaway with a group of at least 6 (we're trying to convince more family members to come!). my brother and sister-in-law are vegetarians. i've read on a few threads/boards that there is *one* vegetarian option on the menu each night. has anyone recently been on the BA and eaten vegetarian? how accommodating are the main dining rooms for vegetarians? are there any non-meat proteins available regularly - tofu, nut butters, beans not cooked with meat? thanks in advance :)

well if its anything like the Jade 2 years ago the vegetarian option was very poor yes just 1 to choose from normally (main dining room) and beware if ordering breakfast I ordered scrambled eggs on toast and they sent it with Bacon !!!!!!!!!!!!! so the next time I ordered it I said NO BACON THANK YOU and guess what ?????? IT CAME WITH BACON !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im on Epic in May I hope there are now more Vegetarian options it should be the same as Breakaway

They began updating the menus in late 2013 or the beginning of 2014, including trying to add more vegetarian-friendly options. There should be a live chat thing archived on CC that NCL did on it that explains some of the changes and whatnot. I was on last September and do vaguely remember seeing some stuff, but as I'm not vegetarian I didn't pay very close attention.

Edited by adivineeternity

For examples of the mdr menus :

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-breakaway-menus.html

My personal observation, the only veggie item that was on the menu for the entire week was the Lasagna rolls for the main course and that was pretty much it. I think they rotated like one Veggie or Seafood option out the daily menu for the appetizers and main course. If worse comes to worse, the buffet had alot of vegetarian options from Indian food, salads, vegetable side dishes and pastas / rice with no meat in it. (IMO, veggie options, preparation and taste from the buffet was better)

Edited by maywell

For examples of the mdr menus :

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-breakaway-menus.html

My personal observation, the only veggie item that was on the menu for the entire week was the Lasagna rolls for the main course and that was pretty much it. I think they rotated like one Veggie or Seafood option out the daily menu for the appetizers and main course. If worse comes to worse, the buffet had alot of vegetarian options from Indian food, salads, vegetable side dishes and pastas / rice with no meat in it. (IMO, veggie options, preparation and taste from the buffet was better)

These are definitely the most recent menus. The choices on the left remain the same throughout the week -- one vegetarian option there. There is also one vegetarian option on the part of the menu that changes daily.

When we were on the Epic a couple of weeks ago, one of our party didn't eat meat, but does eat seafood. She had no problems finding something to eat throughout the ship. In addition, the wait staff was very good about doing basic modifications (no sauce on items, no chicken on Caesar salads, etc.). She was not worried about cross-contamination or anything like that. We were very pleased with our experience.

You can note there are vegetarians with you party when reserving. When you get on board, got to the MDR for lunch and tell them you have dietary restrictions. They will send the head waiter over and he will discuss the options available to you for that day - bringing all of the menus etc. He taught our daughter and her friend how to navigate the menus each day and what to ask for and then gave us his card if we didn't find an option we liked on the following days. We never had to use it. They were more than satisfied and had great meals each day.