Where do ships typically tender in Phuket?

NorbertsNiece

I have an independent guide who has asked this with regards where to meet us.

We will be on Rhapsody of the Seas.

Thanks.

Just off Mariner and we "docked" (not a tender port) in Phu My, an industrial port..any guide you use must meet you outside the terminal gate...only one dock that I could see so your guide should know where it is. I'm assuming ROS will use the same dock.

Thanks.

We were on HAL Amsterdam that visited Phuket in February. It was quite confusing about whether we would tender or dock - the port is quite shallow so very large ships cannot dock and it also depends on tides. In the end we docked at the Port of Phuket in Panwa ( search for the a Cape Panwa Hotel - it's very close by). When doing our research, we noticed that when ships tender, they seem to do so into Patong.

Our taxi driver was aware of this uncertainty and stated he would check and make sure he was there to meet us - wherever it was!

Just off Mariner and we "docked" (not a tender port) in Phu My, an industrial port..any guide you use must meet you outside the terminal gate...only one dock that I could see so your guide should know where it is. I'm assuming ROS will use the same dock.

Phu My is an industrial port for Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam.

Thanks.

I've never sailed to Phuket. However, my parents sailed there earlier this year, on a Costa cruise. They tendered off Patong beach.

Here are some videos.

[YOUTUBE]KEIkPLBCCZ8[/YOUTUBE]

Some people doing para-sailing.

[YOUTUBE]vYLH5VqJ9mE[/YOUTUBE]

Hope this is helpful.

• 1 year later...
In the end we docked at the Port of Phuket in Panwa ( search for the a Cape Panwa Hotel - it's very close by). When doing our research, we noticed that when ships tender, they seem to do so into Patong.

I know this is an old thread, but has anything changed in a year? We will be on the Diamond Princess in March 2017, we show tendering in Phuket 7am-8pm - that means Patong, right? Our dive operator is asking where to pick us up.

We have spent part of our winters in Phuket area for the past three years. We have often seen cruise ships tendered just off Patong. The town itself is awful (it is a zoo really), the beach incredibly crowded. Not representative of Thailand really. Try to get an boat excursion out to some of the islands.

Edited by iancal

We have spent part of our winters in Phuket area for the past three years. We have often seen cruise ships tendered just off Patong. The town itself is awful (it is a zoo really), the beach incredibly crowded. Not representative of Thailand really. Try to get an boat excursion out to some of the islands.

We are not beach people (PNW complexion!) so we are hiring a private dive operator for the day.