Does Sailing a back to back from Vancouver

pamwinn

I tried to post a thank you to Largin and Coral but the boards did the weird thing again. It'll probably appear later.

Coral, I always read your reviews but more importantly, I always look at your photo's (they are so good) so I should have remembered...the mind is going.

Sharkie's right. The PSA (often called the Jones Act even though they're not really the same law) only applies to sailings that both begin and end in the US. If your cruise begins or ends (or both) in a foreign port (whether distant or not), it's not governed by the PSA.

pamwinn,

I agree with the responses posted by the others based on the wording of your question and any knowledgeable TA should know that. The fact that your TA scared you makes me wonder if you asked the right question.

Back to back from Vancouver is OK, but back to back through Vancouver may not be. For example, if the first leg is from Whittier to Vancouver and the second leg leaving the same day is from Vancouver to San Francisco or Los Angeles, that would be a violation.

Jim

I just asked for pricing on the Sapphire, Vancouver to Whittier and back. She sent me the prices but included she'd have to talk to Princess to make sure it didn't violate the Jones Act.

I'm not sure what she was thinking, maybe she was tired. I was pretty sure I understood the Jones Act (sort of) but needed the support of all my Cruise Critic Buds. Thanks again.

pamwinn,

Back to back from Vancouver is OK, but back to back through Vancouver may not be. For example, if the first leg is from Whittier to Vancouver and the second leg leaving the same day is from Vancouver to San Francisco or Los Angeles, that would be a violation.

Jim

It should not matter. Each is a separate cruise. I know there was no problem doing Ft Lauderdale to Ensenada, then Ensenada to Hawaii, then Hawaii to Tahiti, then Tahiti to Hawaii, and then Hawaii to Vancouver when the Dawn used to do it. Many people did multiple legs.

Even when we did a B2B out of Ft Lauderdale, they made us go through immigration when we got back to Ft Lauderdale at the end of the first cruise.

It should not matter. Each is a separate cruise. I know there was no problem doing Ft Lauderdale to Ensenada, then Ensenada to Hawaii, then Hawaii to Tahiti, then Tahiti to Hawaii, and then Hawaii to Vancouver when the Dawn used to do it. Many people did multiple legs.

Since Vancouver is a foreign port, (it's in Canada, eh) the Jones Act would not come into play. All that matters is where you embark, and where you disembark, no matter how long you stay on the ship or where the ship goes during that time. If you travel between two US ports, you must have a so-called "Distant Foreign Port" on the itinerary to comply with the law if you are traveling on a foreign-flagged ship.

Last fall we did two back to backs on the Dawn. They were 2 3 days.

The first one did Vancouver-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver.

The second one did Vancouver-Los Angeles.

Don't know if this helps, but this was allowed.

Actually it does matter. Even if they are separate cruises, some B2Bs are prohibited.

Coral is right. Under the PSA, it doesn't matter how the cruise line markets the cruise, it matters where you join the ship, and where you leave it. If you embark and disembark in US ports, it's covered by the PSA. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that a particular B2B is prohbited by the PSA, just because it's covered by the PSA. It just means that you have to be sure that the itinerary meets the requirements of the PSA if it both starts and ends in the US. There have been several threads on the PSA on this board, but this one has the most explanation with the least debate about whether it's a good law, for those who just want to understand how it works:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=168454&highlight=CFR

I wonted to fly to Whittier Alaska board Island Princess to Vancouver,continue on to LA to Hawaii and back to LA....Not allowed on a foreign ship.AS I prefer longer trip thought this was would be ideal for me without having the long air flights.

The airlines have the same restrictions as the Jones act.

I always think competition is good it keeps the standards up....but then who am I ....just a humble customer :rolleyes:

Several of us are doing b2b cruises on the Diamond from Vancouver. Should not be a problem.

With my trip I was starting and ending in USA on a foreign registered ship...which contravenes the Jones act. Actually the name Jones came from Wales .How come he set rules for the USA ? :D Allowed Vancouver to LA Hawaii LA because one starts in a foreign port and ends in USA

Princess (of Bermuda registry) sails roundtrips to Alaska from Seattle. To make it legal Under the Jones Act, they stop at Victoria, BC. The Island sails from LA to Hawaii with a stop ain Esenada. We will be on the Coral in 2007 from Ft. lauderdale to LA, with several foreign stops. The itinerary CAN be between US ports as long as there is a stop in at least one foreign port.

Princess (of Bermuda registry) sails roundtrips to Alaska from Seattle. To make it legal Under the Jones Act' date=' they stop at Victoria, BC. The Island sails from LA to Hawaii with a stop ain Esenada. We will be on the Coral in 2007 from Ft. lauderdale to LA, with several foreign stops. The itinerary CAN be between US ports as long as there is a stop in at least one foreign port.[/quote']

It also depends on whether it is a roundtrip cruise, or a cruise that starts and ends in different US ports.

Roundtrip cruise: Stop at any foreign port (such as Ensenada for LA-Hawaii-LA cruises, etc.)

Different Start/End Port: Must stop at a "distant" foreign port. This is defined as any port not in Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and most of the Caribbean. (Islands in the Netherland Antilles such as Aruba and Curacao are exceptions and are considered distant foreign ports.) Many Panama Canal cruises have a stop in Aruba to satisfy this requirement.

Archived