What is the earliest return flight I can catch out of Rome?...

Stockjock

Ship gets in on a Tuesday at 8 am. Most flights out of Rome seem to be in the 11 am - noon range. Not much available after that, except at a far higher price.

Any chance I could make an 11:55 am with a reasonable probability of success? Does MSC let passengers off first who have early flights out?

I understand that it would be better to stay an extra day or so, but we'd be staying in Rome on the front end and would probably prefer to go straight from the ship to the airport.

Thanks in advance!

Ship gets in on a Tuesday at 8 am. Most flights out of Rome seem to be in the 11 am - noon range. Not much available after that, except at a far higher price.

Any chance I could make an 11:55 am with a reasonable probability of success? Does MSC let passengers off first who have early flights out?

I understand that it would be better to stay an extra day or so, but we'd be staying in Rome on the front end and would probably prefer to go straight from the ship to the airport.

Thanks in advance!

You will probably get the answer your looking for in this thread

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2168234

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Thanks Pete. Sounds like a noon-ish flight would be tight. I may try it anyway. I can relate to what one the OP (I think) wrote that not a lot of later flights were available. Mostly, they are at 7-8 am and next a cluster of flights 11-noon. After that, pricing goes up like crazy and availability drops considerably.

I assume that your port is Civitavecchia? That's a 45 minute to an hour drive just to get back to Rome. Traffic? Accident? Are you talking train, or car service? Train leaves from the other side of town. We didn't really like embarking from there, not sure how we would like trying to fly out. Unless you are using someone like Rome Cab who has permission to actually enter the dock area, you have to take a shuttle bus just to get out of the dock area. Good Luck and hope your plans work out for you. Please come back here and let us know how it worked.

You don't say which month you're travelling, and that will have a bearing on price and availability, but have you tried looking for a flight from Rome via London or another European city rather than direct? You may find a better choice of times with a connecting flight and it might also offer a better price. Personally I wouldn't go for a midday flight, traffic, chaos at the airport etc. etc. I'd stay a couple of nights at the end of the cruise and enjoy the city when I was relaxed.

If you do decided for an early flight it would be good to know how you get on. Other's have asked the question, but as far as I can remember, nobody has said that they made it so it would be good to know if it can be done.

I assume that your port is Civitavecchia? That's a 45 minute to an hour drive just to get back to Rome. Traffic? Accident? Are you talking train, or car service? Train leaves from the other side of town. We didn't really like embarking from there, not sure how we would like trying to fly out. Unless you are using someone like Rome Cab who has permission to actually enter the dock area, you have to take a shuttle bus just to get out of the dock area. Good Luck and hope your plans work out for you. Please come back here and let us know how it worked.

Considering San Diego to Rome on or about 9-23 and back on or about 10-6, if in fact we actually do the trip.

Getting into Rome isn't a problem. But the 10-6 outbounds dry up after roughly noon and other flights are 27-36 hours total travel time and/or crazy expensive ($4,500 ish round trip, in some cases).

Could stay 1 more night in Rome, but I'd prefer just to head home at that point. Taking enough days off from work as it is. Probably taking some form of private car or the like.

Edited by Stockjock

Considering San Diego to Rome on or about 9-23 and back on or about 10-6, if in fact we actually do the trip.

Getting into Rome isn't a problem. But the 10-6 outbounds dry up after roughly noon and other flights are 27-36 hours total travel time and/or crazy expensive ($4,500 ish round trip, in some cases).

Could stay 1 more night in Rome, but I'd prefer just to head home at that point. Taking enough days off from work as it is. Probably taking some form of private car or the like.

OK, then at least make sure the company that you hire has the right to come into the port. A few do (Rome Cabs is one that we used). I don't know if you mention what cruise line. We were on Royal and their Choice Air was a lot less expensive than booking directly.

$1523 Delta

9/23 San Diego-LAX-Rome 1:35P-1:15P (14.5 hours- 2 hour layover included)

10/6 Rome-JFK-San Diego 12:50P-10:45P (19 hours- 4 hour layover included)

My brother is booked on the return flight from Rome.

Edited by Jenna1983

OK, then at least make sure the company that you hire has the right to come into the port. A few do (Rome Cabs is one that we used). I don't know if you mention what cruise line. We were on Royal and their Choice Air was a lot less expensive than booking directly.

MSC is the cruise line.

I decided to live dangerously and book the 11:55 flight. I'm using frequent flyer miles and it sounds like American Airlines will do their best to reschedule something for me if I miss the flight. It's a calculated risk, but it's the latest flight out that day that I can do with FF miles.