Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Where do we draw the line? And please don't answer with 'If you don't like it don't cruise' or 'Don't order from room service.' I have enjoyed cruising since 1989 and I have enjoyed the complimentary room service I have experienced on all the lines I have cruised with. Why do I have to make changes in my expectations for my cruises, which I have booked and paid in full? Other than the email about the changes to the DSC should I not be entitled to some sort of notification? Do we have to except every change they make without complaint?

Rochelle

I had to quote this part because you mean to tell me you been cruising since 1989 and not notice the changes - alot things that were free back then are now charge a fee, have been reduce, or remove like lobster, free wine during embarking, not many chocolates on the bed, chocolate night, etc. And that on NCL, Royal and Carnival brands are either worse or better with the losses - but yet you still continue to cruise with NCL despite knowing that. Here's my rhetorical question - Why are you cruising on a line where you think you are paying more for less AND it is, since alot things have changed over the years for the worse?

NCL knows that it is extremely unlikely that a single client will be able to afford the legal costs ... reasonable legal channels would be a class action suit or government action ... That's what NCL is counting on. I read the UK laws posted earlier about how the vacation services must match the brochure advertisement. I don't know if NY law has such a statute but ...

Agreed 100% and our jaws dropped last night, having just finished our Breakaway morning breakfast in the MDR before disembarking ... Simply unbelievable how these changes CONTINUED to be (not) communicated to the customer base, behaving like pirates on high seas, literally.

Besides N.Y. and UK, perhaps - wishful thinking - that staff in the office of the Attorney Generals in the State of Florida (with NCL corporate office headquartered in MIA) and elsewhere begin looking into these matters ... raised the level of awareness among the consumers with negative publicity could literally be muds in their faces.

We drastically scaled back flying domestically legacy airlines in the past decade for their flying nickels & dimes. But, at least, these remaining air carriers that survived their bankruptcies not long ago & merged to survive, learned not to change prices while you are in the AIR - they announced it first with a clear timeline for implementation, and who among the "elites" are exempt & ways to avoid them, if possible. Once you are checked in for your journey - you don't play these pricing games, period.

Here's another step those of us with "affinities" to NCL can do - start cancelling and closing out those NCL-branded credit cards ... that earn points & rewards for being a NCL fan, etc. Transfer those balances as there are plenty of bank card products for the consumer. The old saying, don't get mad (you will just upset yourself) - just, get even.

BTW, both FDR & AS have been hiding ?? in their corner offices or what -- Stuart never answered or responded to my twitter post, and, that was unrelated to these hot issues, just asking for their plans to address non-smoker's concerns about ventiliations on the BA due to ship's design at its first drydock. This is going to be noted again in our post-BA-cruise e-survey this week. Social media & CC are in a fire storm with these and they are using a cyber spokesperson to post a scripted response !!

You also have to use common sense and knowledge of the concept of deceptive advertising. None of the suite amenities are in the actual contract. Clearly if suite passengers show up and are told that there will be a convenience charge for using the concierge, butler, access to the Haven etc., there would be a deceptive advertising/fraud issue. The room service charge is the same principle. A company can not simply advertise one service, accept money for it, and then not provide the service.

Regarding the suites, it is, you need to read the part in section 2 of the contract regarding what's listed in the brochure - gotta read the fine print. Those are the breaks - Why do think they update the website so quickly after the price increase? To cover themselves in case of lawsuit since the website is also reference in the contract as well.

Edited by maywell

have felt the same way as all of you when Norwegian banned smoking on the balcony but everybody cheered. go back and look I said myself that nobody cared because it did not affect them so this doesn't bother me because it does not affect me. it was only me and a handful of other people that were defending the right to smoke on the balcony you paid for. now that Norwegian is doing something that y'all don't like the new rules are all of the sudden unfair.

Was on the Epic a year ago and some ding dong flicked their cigarette over the side of the ship, it blew back onto another balcony and caught a towel on fire. It caused quite a stir on board. People don't think even though they tell you over and over, don't toss anything over the side of the ship.

Regarding the suites, it is, you need to read the part in section 2 of the contract regarding what's listed in the brochure - gotta read the fine print. Those are the breaks - Why do think they update the website so quickly after the price increase? To cover themselves in case of lawsuit since the website is also reference in the contract as well.

You have misunderstood my post. I acknowledge that no where in the contract does NCL agree to the suite amenities. However NCL specifically advertised and sold me a suite that included use of a concierge, a butler, and access to the Haven among other things. If I were to board and these services were only available for an additional fee there would be issues with fraud and or deceptive advertising. I feel the same is true when they sold passage aboard the Breakaway and Getaway that specifically itemized free room service between five am and midnight, and then implemented a fee after purchase.

Simply stating "it's not in the contract" does not make it legal.

As an example, tenants in NY (and elsewhere I imagine) routinely sign leases with clauses that are unenforceable in court. Simply because a landlord throws these items in, and both parties sign, doesn't mean they aren't thrown out everyday by judges.

What I did just realize is that the contract specifically prohibits purchasers to enter a class action suit.

Edited by NYteacher

As stated several times, the only terms which are binding are contained in the Guest Ticket Contract

No matter. You DO understand Fraud and Fraud In The Inducement, right?

Lots of armchair attorneys here. Makes me chuckle.

At the risk of repeating information, I'll mention this anyway. I spoke with someone at NCL a few hours ago. I was told that the Breakaway and the Getaway are the only ships that are charging a "convenience fee". The fee will apply to certain items on the menu, not the entire menu. The fee is 7.95 for BA and 4.95 for GA. While Haven guest are excluded from paying the fee (we typically book a Haven suite) I still think it's bad form for NCL all around.

So glad I'm in the heaven lol. never know by November 11th the fee may even come to the escape

Enough with the smoking / strawman arguments. All smokers were given ample notice of change to smoking policy. Can no one see the difference? Maybe a bunch of people are as unsophisticated and incapable of critical thinking as NCL hopes they are, or are plants by the cruise line to cheerlead what a great change this is.

I, for one, will reduce the DSC by any amount charged to me in addition to the amounts I agreed to when sold these cruises by my PCC. Anyone who tolerates these charges is the reason we all get charged more. Stop being a doormat and companies will stop walking all over you.

Not true I had a friend whose cabin was booked before the no smoking policy changed and he was a mere few weeks away from his cruise and could not cancel

http://www.ncl.com/faq#norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service

In Search Box Type In: room service

Click on Item:

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Frequently Asked Questions

NCL.com frequently asked questions

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

"Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed (Room Service orders placed by guests sailing in Suites and The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change. "

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46108153&postcount=705

But last night that exact same page you are citing said this;

Meals in the complimentary dining venues, i.e.:

Two main dining rooms on every ship except Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway which have three

Buffet

24-hour Dining venue (on select ships)

Room service from 5 am to midnight (small service fee applies between midnight and 5 am)

Outdoor Buffet (on select ships)

Pool Bar and Grill (on select ships)

Coffee Bar (regular coffee and pastries included, specialty coffees at nominal extra charge) ......

Rochelle

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46108715&postcount=725

If I were aboard ship when the surcharge began or if the surcharge went into effect after last day to cancel the cruise without penalty, I would notify the On Board Service Desk in writting that I do not authorize charging my credit card for the room service surcharge. I believe I would be on solid ground based upon the above NCL website info.

While less strong, I think the same case can be made for bookings made before the change, regardless of cruise date.

I would contest any attempt to charge the my credit card.

I'd do it all in writting, including a notest of contest on the room service delivery receipt and on the final On Board statement of account.

Edited by Uniall

Was on the Epic a year ago and some ding dong flicked their cigarette over the side of the ship, it blew back onto another balcony and caught a towel on fire. It caused quite a stir on board. People don't think even though they tell you over and over, don't toss anything over the side of the ship.

My last NCL cruise was last March and I went out of my way to request an ashtray. most smokers would not throw cigarettes off the balcony

Its not fraud if they mention they have the right to change anything

Go to law school. Then practice commercial litigation for fifteen years. Get back to me when you realize how incorrect you are.

Actually it's not condescending or wrong it's because I'm a southerner and it's how we tend to talk

Know your audience. You appear both extremely condescending and rude, especially as you ASSume that everyone will accept how YOU speak.

Go to law school. Then practice commercial litigation for fifteen years. Get back to me when you realize how incorrect you are.

OK, I can do that ............. LOL

Wait a minute, I DID DO THAT for 25 years ... after the first 15 years.

Much of the time was criminal fraud prosecution and civil fraud litigation. LOL

Edited by Uniall

This is exactly my disappointment. We aren't huge full breakfast eaters, but coffee is a must and something light would be nice. Being in aft balcony, having to get dressed and schlep the entire ship to get coffee to have on the balcony is a big deal. We've been talking about having coffee & pastry on the balcony early in the morning for months. Sadly, not at $7.95 a pop. And to those that say "no big deal"...for our particular cruise on the Epic in April, we've been hit right and left with added fees and no entertainment booking, no Blue Man Group. Each individually may be no bid deal, but one thing after the other, all of which happened after final payment, not like we could just cancel. We're just stuck paying for one thing and getting a whole lot less than we had planned.

You are absolutely correct and your point is valid. The combination of ALL the amenities offered were selling points and as you have pointed out, one by one, taken away. The offerings were slim on the room service menu to begin with and for sure not worth $7.95 a pop. We never ate a full meal in our room, but a light snack or continental breakfast was a treat. I just want to know if all cruise lines are doing this or is NCL the first. Totally unacceptable.

I had to quote this part because you mean to tell me you been cruising since 1989 and not notice the changes - alot things that were free back then are now charge a fee, have been reduce, or remove like lobster, free wine during embarking, not many chocolates on the bed, chocolate night, etc. And that on NCL, Royal and Carnival brands are either worse or better with the losses - but yet you still continue to cruise with NCL despite knowing that. Here's my rhetorical question - Why are you cruising on a line where you think you are paying more for less AND it is, since alot things have changed over the years for the worse?

I never said that there have not been changes over the years. Yes there have been changes and they have occurred on every cruise line. The examples you gave of changes are not fee based. These are cost saving measures and while they may be disappointing they do not require me to reach into my pocket and pay for them. As an example they eliminated lobster night they did not start charging a fee for it. I do not cruise exclusively with NCL but I can tell you that no other line have I cruised has ever made so many changes in such a short period of time that all revolve around getting more money out of the cruiser.

Most of these changes have been made under the guise of benefiting the crew and I call BS on that. Back in the day when envelopes were given out and amounts were recommended this was for tips to the waiter, assistant waiter, maitre d' and the cabin steward. Along comes freestyle cruising and the DSC is implemented so that the restaurant staff would not lose out with all the moving around. Most people were okay with this and I assume the majority of people were paying because before you know it the DSC now includes just about every low level employee on the ship. Who paid the cleaners and the laundry personnel before the DSC? The company tries to twist this around any way they can so people will believe that that DSC is not tips anymore but rather an incentive program for which the cruise line has all the discretion. Happy are they that a large portion of the cruising population will go along with this and "tip" again.

At the beginning of the month NCL increases the DSC and before you can bat an eye they are supposedly removing folks from the pool. Those people who serve you can now be paid by an automatic 18% gratuity, regardless of service provided and suddenly are not included in the DSC. This news only comes about after many accuse them of double dipping. Specialty waiters are gone. Pizza delivery guy is gone. Coffee shop staff are gone. And today I guess the room service staff are out of the pool as well. The company couldn't be collecting a service fee twice for the same employee. That too would be double dipping.

They try to say the changes are for our convenience but we all know that is BS. It is not for our convenience nor is it for the convenience of their employees. These changes are put in place because it benefits their bottom line. Spin it any way you like but that is the truth.

Some think there could and should be a mass exodus of passengers from NCL. I don't think this will happen any time soon. I think the vast majority of people who cruise NCL like to know they are getting good value for their money regardless of which category cabin they are in. And with the promotions going on since mid December it appears they have. Many have booked multiple cruises in order to get in on the great deals currently available, including myself. This massive giveaway cannot sustain itself. Cruise lines make their profit from on board spending. Fast forward a little into the future when the effects of all these giveaways can be felt. What happens when that per person dollar spend goes down? NCL might hope that people will think they have saved so much on this or that so they are inclined to spend more in other areas. I'm sure there are some who think that way but just as likely that people will take the opportunity to spend less if they can. It's those folks that NCL needs to worry about. Too many of those folks and it will be extremely difficult for the cruise line to turn a profit. They will be forced to raise their base fare. With giveaway promotions long gone and the average consumer doing a little comparison shopping for their next cruise, that consumer might find that all the extra nickle and diming that is being implemented right now makes the competitor all that more attractive down the road.

A new ship on the way and more in the works means more berths to fill. I would think that alienating your customer base is not the best course of action when you are wanting to fill all those spots. What will they come up with then?

Just the way I see it...you can disagree.

Rochelle

Last week's Breakaway 24 Hours Room Service menu items were very short -

(which I posted elsewhere here) looked very similar, eager to see what's been "enhanced"

The new(er)/enhanced?? 24 Hour Room Service menu is said to have more choices, these are the current ones offered - rather limited, IMO. Not expecting free lobster tails or baby shrimps - how about a fish sandwich or vegetarian option ?? French fries & onion rings, maybe ?? Chicken pot pies, meatloafs, chef's salad - all those are prepared/available from O'Sheehans, right. Easily done as add-ons, no-brainers. Maybe, it will "calm" us down somewhat to swallow the charge a bit easier.

All Day Menu

Hearty Chicken Soup

Chicken Caesar Salad

Greek Salad

Fruit Plate

Assorted Sandwiches

BLT

Turkey on Whole Grain Hoagie

Tuna Salad Sandwich

Grilled Beef Burger

All Beef Hot Dog

For the Kids

Chicken Fingers w. BBQ Sauce

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Macaroni & Cheese

Peanut Butter & Jerry Sandwich

Choice of: Cookies, Brownies, Jello or Ice Cream

Dessert

NY Cheesecake

Strawberry Pound Cake

Chocolate Cake

Beverages

Fresh Coffee / Decaf Coffee

Assorted Teas / Iced Tea

Whole Milk, Low Fat Milk

Soft Drinks $2.25

Let's see, if DW & I really must do it, we will skim off some of our OBC to offset it & order enough to make it worth saving us a trip - RS will do what they do at the 5 stars hotel we sometimes stayed at on land, bring that in a cart, white tablecloth draped over - with all the "works" and not in a plastic cafeteria tray for an "upscale" room service presentation :D :rolleyes:

2 soups, 2 salads, 2 plates of fruit, 2 sandwiches, finger food, cookies, ice cream + pound cake, ice tea & coffee, plus milk ... just about right for 2 adults, how's that for a $7.95 convenience ? :p :D

Edited by mking8288

Last week's Breakaway 24 Hours Room Service menu items were very short -

(which I posted elsewhere here) looked very similar, eager to see what's been "enhanced"

The new(er)/enhanced?? 24 Hour Room Service menu is said to have more choices, these are the current ones offered - rather limited, IMO. Not expecting free lobster tails or baby shrimps - how about a fish sandwich or vegetarian option ?? French fries & onion rings, maybe ?? Chicken pot pies, meatloafs, chef's salad - all those are prepared/available from O'Sheehans, right. Easily done as add-ons, no-brainers. Maybe, it will "calm" us down somewhat to swallow the charge a bit easier.

All Day Menu

Hearty Chicken Soup

Chicken Caesar Salad

Greek Salad

Fruit Plate

Assorted Sandwiches

BLT

Turkey on Whole Grain Hoagie

Tuna Salad Sandwich

Grilled Beef Burger

All Beef Hot Dog

For the Kids

Chicken Fingers w. BBQ Sauce

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Macaroni & Cheese

Peanut Butter & Jerry Sandwich

Choice of: Cookies, Brownies, Jello or Ice Cream

Dessert

NY Cheesecake

Strawberry Pound Cake

Chocolate Cake

Beverages

Fresh Coffee / Decaf Coffee

Assorted Teas / Iced Tea

Whole Milk, Low Fat Milk

Soft Drinks $2.25

Let's see, if DW & I really must do it, we will skim off some of our OBC to offset it & order enough to make it worth saving us a trip - RS will do what they do at the 5 stars hotel we sometimes stayed at on land, bring that in a cart, white tablecloth draped over - with all the "works" and not in a plastic cafeteria tray for an "upscale" room service presentation :D :rolleyes:

2 soups, 2 salads, 2 plates of fruit, 2 sandwiches, finger food, cookies, ice cream + pound cake, ice tea & coffee, plus milk ... just about right for 2 adults, how's that for a $7.95 convenience ? :p :D

Yes but the wording leads me to believe that the new 'enhanced' menu items will be coming with a charge. So you will be paying a fee for the food + the automatic 18% gratuity and a nice service fee to round out the whole affair.

What a deal. :eek:

And by the way thanks for emailing that menu. Will look forward to comparing it when the enhanced one gets posted.

Rochelle