Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

[quote name='LMaxwell']Yes, I have been directed to email their social media team with my questions, or which I had several very particular, but concise, questions. I do suppose they are swamped today, or someone is running around the offices with their hair on fire trying to figure out what to say, so I will be patient and wait 24 - 48 hours for a response, but I do not have much faith that the social media team can adequately address my concerns. They do not set, and probably have zero say, in policy.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. I wrote two emails. The first was a quick question about Haven suites and I received a quick response. My second email was venting my frustrations about all the recent changes. I'm not sure I'll get a real response back on that one.

[quote name='motleyfan']I don't think I could ever cruise with carnival, I like the idea of eating dinner when I damn well please and not when the line tells me I should or can.[/quote]

...and that very statement is the reason I DIDN'T crusie with Carnival for years. I thought the same thing. But you're wrong and so was I. They have "my time dining" and it's exactly what NCL's "freestyle" is...you eat whenever you show up during dining times and you eat where you want...not forced to be stuck sitting with others you don't know. Come and go as you please just like NCL. ;)

[quote name='hypercafe']The web site now says room service is included with a small convenience fee. Guess this is part of the 50$ FDR wants from each passenger![/QUOTE]

Then why not simply raise fares $50.00 ? This new room service policy is going to bite NCL in the A$$. Do you want to take a guess how many passangers will simply reduce DSC to cover the convenience fee ?

[quote name='shealea'][B]Mitsuygirl [/B]- [I]Honestly, if I had listened to everyone that told me how disappointed I would be with Carnival, I would have never got to have the experience we did. It was one of the best.
[/I][B]That is how I'm feeling. We have spoken with several people on our NCL cruises that have also cruised with Carnival. They enjoyed their Carnival cruises. They all said the food was better on Carnival.

So, we are going to give them a try on our next cruise. I used to be a big NCL cheerleader, but I'm really "over them" now! I'm not happy with their fees, and especially with the way they were introduced (actually NOT introduced)!!! ha!

I know you write extensive reviews, so I will watch for your review after your upcoming Carnival Cruise Line review. And have an awesome trip!!! Sure wish I was going with you! ha! Oh ....... where are you cruising to?[/B][/quote]

Thanks and we will be going to....NEW PORTS!!! (Another reason we went with Carnival this time)...we will be visiting Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay...then there's Freeport, which we just visited in November, but whatever. I'm excited to make it to HMC and GT for the first time. I think we'll probably go with another Carnival cruise for November instead of NCL if this turns out good again...to Aruba, Bonaire or Aruba and Curacao...once again, all new ports for us. :D

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Of course not. The people with money to spare book there and are spoiled. Then there is the average person who is thrilled to even get a good deal and are the ones paying extra.[/QUOTE]

HaHa...I laughed really hard at this comment. As if we don't work for our money like you? I actually think it's the ones staying in Haven/Suites that make up for the interior cabins low prices. If that isn't the case then why am I paying four times the price of a balcony not to mention how much more I'm paying over a interior cabin.

I love all these changes ncl!!! Keep them coming!!! From tomorrow we should pay for toilet paper!!! Oh sorry i am wrong the toilet paper is going to be free there will be just a delivery charge just for our convenience!!! Nice job!!! You know how to make customers happy!!! Good job congratulations to all the corporate guys..you know the guys just sitting on a chair not having a clue about cruising about their crew and deciding about revenue!!!! Yeahhhh i am so happy just like the song at youtube showing some of the staff!! I believe you didnt sack some of them so that they will still be sp happy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='motleyfan']You are right it has been free but now its not. if anyone thinks I'm coming off as a jerk there is a specific reason behind it that is how all of you came off when I was sincerely upset about smoking being banned on the balcony I pay for. everyone was like yay no more smoking.[/QUOTE]
Hey, much like the fee for room service, you can smoke in your room for a fee, I thinks it's like $250.00. Why complain, just pay it each time you smoke.

At the risk of repeating information, I'll mention this anyway. I spoke with someone at NCL a few hours ago. I was told that the Breakaway and the Getaway are the only ships that are charging a "convenience fee". The fee will apply to certain items on the menu, not the entire menu. The fee is 7.95 for BA and 4.95 for GA. While Haven guest are excluded from paying the fee (we typically book a Haven suite) I still think it's bad form for NCL all around.

[quote name='Uniall']Please don't allow "class envy" cloud your judgement. Those of us in suites are paying at least double (and sometimes triple) your fare. For that, we have pre paid for perks, extras, and special benefits.[/QUOTE]

Like:D

[quote name='Cruzncutie']At the risk of repeating information, I'll mention this anyway. I spoke with someone at NCL a few hours ago. I was told that the Breakaway and the Getaway are the only ships that are charging a "convenience fee". The fee will apply to certain items on the menu, not the entire menu. The fee is 7.95 for BA and 4.95 for GA. While Haven guest are excluded from paying the fee (we typically book a Haven suite) I still think it's bad form for NCL all around.[/QUOTE]

I think you need to call back to NCL and speak to someone else if this is what you have been told. NCL has themselves posted on this thread in contradiction to what you are saying. The fee does not apply to certain items as you have been led to believe. In the new expanded menus some items will include a charge. [B]On the trial ships there is a fee for every room service order that is delivered[/B] except for Haven suites. On the Breakaway the fee is $7.95 on the Getaway the charge is $4.95.

Rochelle

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Of course not. The people with money to spare book there and are spoiled. Then there is the average person who is thrilled to even get a good deal and are the ones paying extra.[/QUOTE]

How dare you, Ruthless!

Maybe those that cruise in a suite or Haven save for 2, 3, 4 or more years to cruise in a suite when others cruise yearly or more per year....or every other year in an inside, balcony, etc.

Harriet

[quote name='Cruzncutie']At the risk of repeating information, I'll mention this anyway. I spoke with someone at NCL a few hours ago. I was told that the Breakaway and the Getaway are the only ships that are charging a "convenience fee". The fee will apply to certain items on the menu, not the entire menu. The fee is 7.95 for BA and 4.95 for GA. While Haven guest are excluded from paying the fee (we typically book a Haven suite) I still think it's bad form for NCL all around.[/QUOTE]

You're getting bad information/NCL is being intentionally misleading. The convenience fee applies to all items on the menu. They're just lying and callling it "complimentary" with an added convenience fee, because they think their customers are a bunch of idiots. A read of their earlier written releases/posts on the topic confirms that while there are still "complimentary" items on the menu, the "convenience fee" applies to all orders. So they are lying and/or intentionally misusing the word "complimentary.

[quote name='shapatack0']You're getting bad information/NCL is being intentionally misleading. The convenience fee applies to all items on the menu. They're just lying and callling it "complimentary" with an added convenience fee, because they think their customers are a bunch of idiots. A read of their earlier written releases/posts on the topic confirms that while there are still "complimentary" items on the menu, the "convenience fee" applies to all orders. So they are lying and/or intentionally misusing the word "complimentary.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the first time customers have been given contradicting information. I'll skim through this thread to find NCL's reply.

[quote name='Cruzncutie']Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the first time customers have been given contradicting information. I'll skim through this thread to find NCL's reply.[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth. And their reply on this thread was somewhere in the 500's of posts.

Rochelle

[quote name='Cruzncutie']Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the first time customers have been given contradicting information. I'll skim through this thread to find NCL's reply.[/QUOTE]

This is what NCL has posted on a couple of these threads (I've added the bold for emphasis):

[QUOTE]riginally Posted by Norwegian Cruise Line View Post
Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced a new enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. [B] Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed. [/B] Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='hpecorari']How dare you, Ruthless!

Maybe those that cruise in a suite or Haven save for 2, 3, 4 or more years to cruise in a suite when others cruise yearly or more per year....or every other year in an inside, balcony, etc.

Harriet[/QUOTE]

I'm going to sound offense on this - If you're saving 2 or more years just to travel 7 days in NCL suite just for one time and never travel again, I think you're doing it wrong.... I can see for 14, 21, 30 or more days, yes that would be a trip of a lifetime and worthy of saving up a suite for but 7 days only? Gotta rethink that vacation financial planning......:confused:

[quote name='shapatack0']This is what NCL has posted on a couple of these threads (I've added the bold for emphasis):[/QUOTE]

The food is free, the actual delivery of the food to your cabin is not, that what the 'convenience' charge of $7.95 is - delivery / service charge fee. Dunno how many ways anyone can phrase it.

(not directed at you shapatack0, I know you explained it already) Edited by maywell

[quote name='HoopTroop']Hey, much like the fee for room service, you can smoke in your room for a fee, I thinks it's like $250.00. Why complain, just pay it each time you smoke.[/QUOTE]

I just fail to see why you just can't do like everyone wanted smokers to do. Just get up in the morning and go eat, just like everyone told the smokers to do, get up and go out on deck to smoke in the smoking section. I really find this funny as now when it affects you, you now know how the smokers felt. Myself, I will have my smoke when I want on my deck in the garden villa for this cruise and then find another cruise line for the next one.

I don't need to cruise NCL and if all lines go non-smoking I can fly where I would like to go. So, once all of those who aren't going to cruise NCL any more because of a charge for room service and all the smokers who have gone to other lines, the rest of you can make it up with the money in your wallets:D

[quote name='maywell']The food is free, the actual delivery of the food to your cabin is not, that what the 'convenience' charge of $7.95 is - delivery / service charge fee.[/QUOTE]

The semantics of this are ridiculous. Using this logic you could call everything that costs money "free" with a convenience charge. So the food in all of the specialty restaurants are free, they just charge a "convenience charge" for heating it up and delivering it to your table? When I go to my local pizzeria tonight that's free as well, they're just charging me a preparation/cooking charge for cooking the pizza and handing it to me! The food is not "complimentary." Just because something is not a la carte does not mean it is free when you're being charged a cover charge, and NCL is intentionally misleading it's customers because they clearly think that we're all idiots. It is offensive. Edited by shapatack0

Enough with the smoking / strawman arguments. All smokers were given ample notice of change to smoking policy. Can no one see the difference? Maybe a bunch of people are as unsophisticated and incapable of critical thinking as NCL hopes they are, or are plants by the cruise line to cheerlead what a great change this is.

I, for one, will reduce the DSC by any amount charged to me in addition to the amounts I agreed to when sold these cruises by my PCC. Anyone who tolerates these charges is the reason we all get charged more. Stop being a doormat and companies will stop walking all over you.

[quote name='LMaxwell']BINGO! WINNER WINNER FREE CHICKEN DINNER***

***costs $20[/QUOTE]

Now that was pretty funny.

Also, to everyone who thinks this won't effect you just because you don't use room service, you are wrong. I know a lot of people who use the room service in the morning. This is absolutely going to push a subset of people who like a quick/easy breakfast in the morning into the buffet and it is absolutely going to increase the crowds and lines in the buffet. Reducing complimentary services is a net negative for everyone when it is a category of complimentary service (food) that everyone on the ship uses to some extent.