time allowed off ship in port

lactmom4sons

we will be on our maiden voyage with QM2 transatlantic in May. we will see relatives in liverpool. since we would like to spend as much time with family as possible my question. since we will arrive morning in liverpool and not leave port until the next day how late can we stay off ship before having to come back. we sleep on board but didn't know if there is a latest time you are told. thank you for any information. we are getting soooo excited.

we will be on our maiden voyage with QM2 transatlantic in May. we will see relatives in liverpool. since we would like to spend as much time with family as possible my question. since we will arrive morning in liverpool and not leave port until the next day how late can we stay off ship before having to come back. we sleep on board but didn't know if there is a latest time you are told. thank you for any information. we are getting soooo excited.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/on-shore/return_onboard

What time do I have to be back on board by when the ship is in port?

You need to be back on board at least an hour before the ship sets sail.

If the ship is in port overnight you will be able to return to the ship at whatever time you wish as long as it is an hour before the notified departure time of the ship.

You will be notified on board via the ship's newspaper of the times the ship will set sail again, after each of port of call.

Edited by Pennbank

We are also looking forward meeting up with relatives in Liverpool and making the most of our time there. I did want to mention (and you may already know all this!) that as well as being a big weekend for Cunard, it is also a Bank Holiday weekend. Liverpool is expected to be packed with people and public transportation will be crowded, although I believe there will be extra trains and buses instead of the usual Sunday/holiday schedule. My sister started looking for restaurant bookings for lunch for all of us a couple of months ago and found that many of the restaurants in town, even those further from the Pier Head, have been booked for up to a year! She finally did manage to find somewhere that could accommodate us. My relatives and friends are scattered around the outskirts of the city and on the Wirral, so gathering at a central spot works best for us. Your family may well be way head of mine as regards planning but I wanted to share what we have found out about transportation and restaurants,.

Have a wonderful visit to Liverpool, and a spectacular cruise. Maybe we'll bump into you on board.

Thank you for everyones response

amias: my cousins and family are arranging what we will do and where we will dine but i will mention what you and yours have found about the crowds and reservations.

it would be nice to bump into you on board and put a face to the name.

thanks to all

I was born there but I never lived in Liverpool, my Father was at University and did a lot of his training there and my parents lived in Crosby for a while.

Most of my recent visits have been to visit the car plant in Halewood, it's been a long time since I was in the city centre - possibly 1990.

i called cunard to find the times in and out of port liverpool to finalize plans with my family. they said there was a miss print with times. we will arrive about 3am sunday may 24 and will leave 11pm may 25. information has said leaving port at 11am may 25. this will give us another full day with relatives. this is wonderful news. especially with the fireworks, etc planned that day.

does anyone have any other updates?

Before making further plans for family I called Cunard myself and it seems that, unfortunately, you were given incorrect information. The following, as printed in the local media, was confirmed by the person I spoke to:

'On the day (Sunday 25th) the Queen Mary 2 will leave her berth and sail down the Mersey to Seaforth where she will meet her sister Queens, which will sail past her.

The three ships will make their way back up the river in convoy, with Queen Elizabeth at the front and QM2 at the rear, giving a good view to people waiting at Crosby.

They will sail up the Mersey at low tide, with a tug ahead and behind the convoy – firing water in the air in impressive V shapes – as far as Cammell Laird and the ECHO arena, and then back down again, with the QM2 then sailing off to continue her 10-day British Isles cruise.'

In addition, there are no tours scheduled for Monday 25th, and their are to be fireworks on the QM2 on the 24th, and on the QV and QE on the 25th, indicating that the ship will not be in port in the evening hours. The representative I spoke with checked with her supervisor and assures me that this is the latest information they have. She did confirm that 3am is the expected (not confirmed) arrival time.

I had hoped that the times you were given were correct as it would have been great for our family, too. However, it's just more time to enjoy the ship!

I wish I could be on board but I will be in Liverpool to watch so it's good to get an idea of times.

The good news is I will be on board QM2 when she calls into Liverpool in July. The bad news is I have to get off :(

Before making further plans for family I called Cunard myself and it seems that, unfortunately, you were given incorrect information. The following, as printed in the local media, was confirmed by the person I spoke to:

'On the day (Sunday 25th) the Queen Mary 2 will leave her berth and sail down the Mersey to Seaforth where she will meet her sister Queens, which will sail past her.

The three ships will make their way back up the river in convoy, with Queen Elizabeth at the front and QM2 at the rear, giving a good view to people waiting at Crosby.

They will sail up the Mersey at low tide, with a tug ahead and behind the convoy – firing water in the air in impressive V shapes – as far as Cammell Laird and the ECHO arena, and then back down again, with the QM2 then sailing off to continue her 10-day British Isles cruise.'

In addition, there are no tours scheduled for Monday 25th, and their are to be fireworks on the QM2 on the 24th, and on the QV and QE on the 25th, indicating that the ship will not be in port in the evening hours. The representative I spoke with checked with her supervisor and assures me that this is the latest information they have. She did confirm that 3am is the expected (not confirmed) arrival time.

I had hoped that the times you were given were correct as it would have been great for our family, too. However, it's just more time to enjoy the ship!

this is very distressing news. What is right? i will assume your info is correct and let my relatives know. i plan to call again tomorrow and ask the question but have your information at hand to ask more specific questions. thanks for information.

this is very distressing news. What is right? i will assume your info is correct and let my relatives know. i plan to call again tomorrow and ask the question but have your information at hand to ask more specific questions. thanks for information.

I think it's likely that the information is correct, everything I've seen says that QM 2 will sail for Guernsey after the 3 meet and perform their "river ballet".