How far to catch a bus?

jsbellisle

I copied this to my notes, but I don't know which thread it's from or who posted it. Hope it helps, it was in a Melia thread.

To get to the jitney stop, when you come out of the port gate (avoid the gauntlet of port taxi's, buses), go straight ahead 1 block to Bay Street. Make a right and walk approx. 3 short blocks of shops, etc (just past the new straw market). George Street is on the left. Board a bus with "10" on it on the corner of Bay and George. This is the Bus depot / start point. There will be plenty of people around to show you the way. You may have to wait a few minutes until enough get on to go. It will makes stops along the way and pick up locals on their way to work - they will all say good morning and greet as they enter, its a nice experience.

When we walked from the Zoo to the bus stop- it was quite a distance.

Has anyone else here done that walk?

We often take the van cabs for $5 pp in Nassau.

I didn't think it was that bad. The bus stop is across the street from the Fish Fry. From there, you just turn left and walk up the hill a few blocks.

• 2 weeks later...
I copied this to my notes, but I don't know which thread it's from or who posted it. Hope it helps, it was in a Melia thread.

To get to the jitney stop, when you come out of the port gate (avoid the gauntlet of port taxi's, buses), go straight ahead 1 block to Bay Street. Make a right and walk approx. 3 short blocks of shops, etc (just past the new straw market). George Street is on the left. Board a bus with "10" on it on the corner of Bay and George. This is the Bus depot / start point. There will be plenty of people around to show you the way. You may have to wait a few minutes until enough get on to go. It will makes stops along the way and pick up locals on their way to work - they will all say good morning and greet as they enter, its a nice experience.

There may or may not be plenty of people around. We found two jitneys but no one headed to them at that moment but us. Just saw them parked at the corner across the street. Easy ride and cheap. No problems.