Self Disembarkation

bakersdozen12

Greetings! My husband and I are going on our first cruise on Oct 25th out of New Orleans. I was hoping someone could educate me as to how self disembarkation works.

From the research I have done it sounds to me like we can elect this status and that if we do, we would get to disembark before the other groups who choose not to take their luggage off of the ship. Is this correct? How would we go about letting them know we want to self disembark? At check in?

The reason I am looking at doing this is that we are scheduled to arrive back at port at 8 am and I would like us to make a 1:20 pm flight back home. I think it will be doable, and I don't think carrying out own luggage off will be a big deal given that our cabin is located on the main deck. Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated!

Edited by bakersdozen12

You do not need to do anything, just don't put your luggage out the night before. Once they are ready for self debarkation they will let the Diamond's, Platinum's and FTTF off. When they have gone it will be opened up to the rest of self debarkation.

Edited by figdu

Great, thank you! We don't have diamond or platinum status, and unfortunately the FTTF's were sold out when we booked. Has anyone ever self disembarked from New Orleans who wasn't in any of those groups? Just wondering about estimated total time it would take. I think as long as we are not talking about hours, we would be good.

If you do self assist make sure that you can handle your luggage by yourself. There will be nobody to help you until you get down the ramp, down the hallway and through customs.

Getting out of the Port is easy and the entrance to I-10 west towards MSY is pretty close. Once out on the road it should take you about 30 minutes to get to the airport, if that. However, sometimes should there be an accident or other problem it can take longer. If you are grabbing a taxi, we have found that getting a cab has been easy and sometimes a challenge, even though there is a taxi cue. We even once had a driver that didn't know how to get us back to the French Quarter and "tried" to take us way out of our way. Just be aware....

For a 4 day on the Elation my wife and I bring a 24" with wheels and a shoulder bag each (which rests on top of the wheel bag). These 2 bags give each of us more then enough room for packing.

Have a great time and if you need any help regarding NOLA, I will do my best to answer any questions for you.

We have done self assist debarkation a number of times because we usually drive at least 6-8 hours to the port, and prefer to get on the road as soon as possible. We were on the Dream in NOLA a year ago, and I'm pretty sure we were off the ship and on the road by 9:30 or 10, if I remember correctly. However, keep in mind that this all depends on how long it takes customs to clear the ship. After the ship has been cleared, they will call priority (Diamond, Platinum, FTTF), then those with disabilities, then self assist by deck. You will have to carry/pull/lift your own luggage possibly down stairs, up and down ramps, and other obstacles.

All that said, with a 1:30 pm flight, as long as there are no problems with the ship getting into port on time and customs clearing the ship, you would have no problems getting to the airport on time. I would suggest you check in online beforehand to ease your mind some. You could either purchase a few minutes of internet time to do it 24 hours in advance, or use your smartphone. There is a very long journey up the mouth of the Mississippi that takes a few hours, during which you can usually get regular phone service from towers on shore.

We have always done the "self assist" and I don't think we would ever do it any other way. We're 33 and as long as we can roll our luggage, I see no reason to have to go through the hassle of baggage claim any more than we have to. We just rolled it right on out ourselves and if we want to leave the ship early, we have always been able to leave VERY early. I think a lot of people who do it either have a lot of bags, (We always each have one large rolling suitcase + 1 carryon that can sit on top of the large bag), people with children who cannot carry their bags, or people who struggle carrying their bags in general. Or people who just want to stay on the ship longer!

Both times we have done it, we have literally arrived at the airport before 9am. This was in Ft. Lauderdale though.

Edited by jetta8300

We have always done the "self assist" and I don't think we would ever do it any other way. We're 33 and as long as we can roll our luggage, I see no reason to have to go through the hassle of baggage claim any more than we have to. We just rolled it right on out ourselves and if we want to leave the ship early, we have always been able to leave VERY early. I think a lot of people who do it either have a lot of bags, (We always each have one large rolling suitcase + 1 carryon that can sit on top of the large bag), people with children who cannot carry their bags, or people who struggle carrying their bags in general. Or people who just want to stay on the ship longer!

Both times we have done it, we have literally arrived at the airport before 9am. This was in Ft. Lauderdale though.

Just did self-assist on the Pride in Baltimore from a 14-day repo. They do call Diamond/Platinum first. Then people needing extra assistance; then FTTF. On the Pride, there were almost 700 Diamond/Platinum and 60 FTTF. But most of the Diamond/Platinum chose the Zone 1 disembark. Took us 15 minutes from docking to getting off the ship. Some people were lugging WAY too much, and even the security near customs made that comment.

Just did self-assist on the Pride in Baltimore from a 14-day repo. They do call Diamond/Platinum first. Then people needing extra assistance; then FTTF. On the Pride, there were almost 700 Diamond/Platinum and 60 FTTF. But most of the Diamond/Platinum chose the Zone 1 disembark. Took us 15 minutes from docking to getting off the ship. Some people were lugging WAY too much, and even the security near customs made that comment.

Yes I can imagine how much "stuff" people would be bringing for a 14 day trip. Also most people with the ability to do a 14 day would be platinum or diamond I would think. Also I think most people being seniors on that cruise there wouldn't be too many passengers using self assist.

Yes I can imagine how much "stuff" people would be bringing for a 14 day trip. Also most people with the ability to do a 14 day would be platinum or diamond I would think. Also I think most people being seniors on that cruise there wouldn't be too many passengers using self assist.

We had two big suitcases and a small carryon type. Did laundry once for me. About 1/3 the ship was diamond/platinum. Yes LOTS of seniors. We heard two average ages, 68 and 75. A grand total of 45 kids (under 18) on board.

Any flight leaving after noon is easily managed even with regular disembark procedures.

Self-assist is a swarm of luggage, crowded elevators, harrowing trips down the ramp, long lines at customs, and crowds trying to get cabs, buses and other transport.

Long experience has proven that leaving the ship just before they send the hunting dogs out to find you is the most relaxing and least stressful. Check your bags the night before, have a long leisurely breakfast on the Lido deck, find a nice spot in the sunshine and wait for the final call. No people on the ramp, yours is the only luggage at pick-up, no lines at custom, transport is plentiful, its easy to find a porter to help with the luggage (if needs be). You'll be off by 10:30 at the latest, through customs and in your cab by 11:00, the airport before twelve and you will miss the crowds at the airport who have swarmed there early from numerous cruise ships.

Have a great time and don't let the morning of debark hassle and frassle you and upset all those wonderful hours of cruising relaxation.

We do this too and see no reason to do it any other way. On our Liberty cruise last year we were out and got into our car in the parking garage at 7:20. Very easy.

If everything goes well, a ship can be cleared by 11 a.m. Meaning, all passengers will have to leave -- including B2B transits -- because the computer program is changed. So in practical terms they will want you out from the ship long before that. And of course you may not keep your cabin; they usually ask cabins to be vacated by 8:30 a.m.

Any flight leaving after noon is easily managed even with regular disembark procedures.

Self-assist is a swarm of luggage, crowded elevators, harrowing trips down the ramp, long lines at customs, and crowds trying to get cabs, buses and other transport.

Long experience has proven that leaving the ship just before they send the hunting dogs out to find you is the most relaxing and least stressful. Check your bags the night before, have a long leisurely breakfast on the Lido deck, find a nice spot in the sunshine and wait for the final call. No people on the ramp, yours is the only luggage at pick-up, no lines at custom, transport is plentiful, its easy to find a porter to help with the luggage (if needs be). You'll be off by 10:30 at the latest, through customs and in your cab by 11:00, the airport before twelve and you will miss the crowds at the airport who have swarmed there early from numerous cruise ships.

Have a great time and don't let the morning of debark hassle and frassle you and upset all those wonderful hours of cruising relaxation.

This has not been our experience whatsoever. When doing self assist, we have never seen crowds at any point. Whether it's the elevators, public areas or outside. We find it incredibly uncomplicated to just walk off of the ship. No problem. I would say in our past experiences the majority of the ship does NOT do self assist, and are just waiting to be called off the ship.

The most stressful thing to us is not knowing whether or not we will be on time to get our flight. Not getting in a crowded elevator. I'm one of those people who gets SUPER stressed about being on time and I'm early to everything. Haha!