Torola beaches NEED ADVICE

imdaring

my family and I are going to be in Tortola in Feb 2016. what is a good walking distance beach from the pier that has a place with a good food and beverages. My husband and I are traveling with 4 kids ages 14, 13, 11, 8.

No beaches near the pier unfortunately. However you can taxi to 2 beaches for just $16pp round trip using the typical safari taxi and you can rent lounges and buy food and drinks at either.

Cane Garden Bay is the busiest beach and is where most cruisers go for the lively vibe. There are several beach bars and a watersports rental outfit, no snorkeling really.

Brewers Bay is a smaller bay with 1 beach bar and is a nice beach too and is much less crowded.

[EDIT]

Actually the 8yr old is 1/2 fare or $8 roundtrip, and if your 11 yr old can be 10 that's 1/2 fare too!

Edited by blue_water

Echo the advice from Blue Water!

Just no way you can get to a beach in Tortola without taking a taxi!

Brewer's is the way quieter of the two and is lovely (also decent snorkeling) ... but your children might enjoy activity at Cane Garden more.

Whichever, look forward to having a WONDERFUL time! :)

LuLu

Our family just returned from Brewer's Bay Beach and it was amazing there. My boys (13, 11) snorkeled at the reef to the far left of the beach by the rocks for hours. It was hands down the best reef they've seen and we have been snorkeling all over. Quite impressive and extensive.

Just be forewarned by us, always leave a cushion of time for your prearranged pickup for a taxi back. Our taxi driver (TAXI 525) never returned for us at our prearranged time and we had to call another driver to pick us up ( we were the only family at the beach!). We had 5 minutes to spare to get back onto the LAST tender to the ship...freaked us ALL out.

But even with that added stress at the end, Brewer's Bay was hands down awesomeness...I know that's not a word, but it's true. Complete perfection!

Thanks for all the wonderful pointers!

My DD will be 8 yrs old during the cruise, I'm glad she's paying half fare.

OP's cruise is in 2016 and our cruise is in Dec, I'm hoping that the pier will be fully operational by then. I don't like having to tender to the ship...

• 2 weeks later...

Our first time in Tortola, another couple asked us to join them at Brewers Bay.

Lovely spot. One bar. Not crowded. Sit on towels or rent chairs. Found some sea glass. Next time, we could not find a taxi to take us there, as all taxis were putting groups together and everyone wanted to go to CGB. So we went there. Lovely spot. Crowded. Many bars. We enjoyed both but will try for Brewer's next time.