Gratuity Comparisons

gwsster

I did a little research on gratuities on other cruise lines.

NCL is $12.95 a day for non suites and $14.95 for suites per person per day.

Royal Caribbean International is $12.00 for non suites and $14.00 for suites also per person per day.

Princess is $11.50 for non suites and $12.00 for suites, per person per day.

Carnival is a flat rate of $12.00 for gratuities, per person per day

Celebrity also is a flat rate of $12.00 per person per day.

So to sum it up, NCL is $6.55 more per week in gratuities.

I am going to check to see if the other lines have a room service fee, if I can find that information.

It will be interesting to see if other lines follow suit. In the grand scheme of things and extra $7/week is not that big of a deal. I just spent over $3000 for a cruise, so the extra $14 won't really make that much of a difference. Don't get me wrong, I would rather pay less, but as much as everyone is complaining about the increases, I am guessing it will have very little impact on bookings. I am sure that is what NCL is counting on.

NCL is $12.95 a day for non suites and $14.95 for suites per person per day.

Royal Caribbean International is $12.00 for non suites and $14.00 for suites also per person per day.

Princess is $11.50 for non suites and $12.00 for suites, per person per day.

Carnival is a flat rate of $12.00 for gratuities, per person per day

Celebrity also is a flat rate of $12.00 per person per day.

So to sum it up, NCL is $6.55 more per week in gratuities.

I am going to check to see if the other lines have a room service fee, if I can find that information.

Celebrity does not have a room service fee. Their website further states that part of the suggested $12.00 gratuity applies to room service as well and no additional tipping is necessary.

The daily Hotel Service Charge for suites is US$12.00 per guest per day, and US$11.50 per guest per day for other staterooms.

HAL also has a very extensive and FREE room service menu. You can even ask for items not on the menu and you'll get them - like smoked salmon and chocolate croissants for breakfast. At dinner you can order anything on the menu at the MDR and have it delivered by room service. And it's FREE. Oh, I already said that.

As a longtime HAL cruiser, my first NCL cruise in May might be my last.

Celebrity has the following gratuities:

• $12 per person per day in staterooms
  • $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms
  • $15.50 per person per day in suites

The information to be found online is very limited. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the information. :)

Celebrity does not have a room service fee. Their website further states that part of the suggested $12.00 gratuity applies to room service as well and no additional tipping is necessary.

The topic was gratuities not room service fees. I checked on those and this is what I could find. Sorry for any font issues, these are quotes from each of the cruise lines.

NCL= still free on 11 of their 13 ships. They are testing a $7.95 delivery fee on the Breakaway and the Getaway. This will be for all room service except for the Haven and I have a feeling this will be extended to the other ships in the near future.

Royal Caribbean= A late night service charge of US$ 3.95 will be applied for onboard room service orders placed between midnight and 5 a.m, intended to minimize onboard food waste, This action was based on an exhaustive review of demand for room service by hour of day and the corresponding amount of food wasted.

Holland America=The ships also offer 24-hour room service, so you can dine in-room (and the best part is, it's complimentary!).

Princess Cruise Lines=You may call for personal, complimentary room service at any time of the day or night. To have continental breakfast delivered to the stateroom, fill out the breakfast card included in the stateroom portfolio (one is also placed on the pillow) and hang it out at night on the stateroom door in order to receive delivery the next morning at the time of your choosing.The complimentary room service menu includes sandwiches, salads, a selection of hot dishes and delicacies from the pastry shop; plus, coffee, iced tea and milk are available 24-hours a day!

Carnival= is 24 hour room service and no delivery fee according to their website.

Celebrity Cruise lines= Either way, when you're in the mood to relax and dine in the comfort of your stateroom, Celebrity offers complimentary 24-hour in-stateroom dining.

FWIW, Celebrity offers a fairly extensive Room Service menu, but in addition to the basics if you want a steak for example, you can get it, for a fee. There are quite a few for fee options on their room service menu.

Also during dining room hours, Celebrity will deliver free from the dining room menu.

I'd wait about 6-9 months and then do the comparisons. Who knows - either NCL withdraws or modifies some of the recent changes or rolls them out fleet-wide as is. But don't think for one minute other cruise lines aren't following with great interest what NCL is doing.

The topic was gratuities not room service fees. I checked on those and this is what I could find. Sorry for any font issues, these are quotes from each of the cruise lines.

NCL= still free on 11 of their 13 ships. They are testing a $7.95 delivery fee on the Breakaway and the Getaway. This will be for all room service except for the Haven and I have a feeling this will be extended to the other ships in the near future.

Royal Caribbean= A late night service charge of US$ 3.95 will be applied for onboard room service orders placed between midnight and 5 a.m, intended to minimize onboard food waste, This action was based on an exhaustive review of demand for room service by hour of day and the corresponding amount of food wasted.

Holland America=The ships also offer 24-hour room service, so you can dine in-room (and the best part is, it's complimentary!).

Princess Cruise Lines=You may call for personal, complimentary room service at any time of the day or night. To have continental breakfast delivered to the stateroom, fill out the breakfast card included in the stateroom portfolio (one is also placed on the pillow) and hang it out at night on the stateroom door in order to receive delivery the next morning at the time of your choosing.The complimentary room service menu includes sandwiches, salads, a selection of hot dishes and delicacies from the pastry shop; plus, coffee, iced tea and milk are available 24-hours a day!

Carnival= is 24 hour room service and no delivery fee according to their website.

Celebrity Cruise lines= Either way, when you're in the mood to relax and dine in the comfort of your stateroom, Celebrity offers complimentary 24-hour in-stateroom dining.

Princess charges $3 for room service pizza delivery.

Does anyone know if there are enforced gratuities at cover charge restaurants on other lines?

Carnival and Princess include gratuities in the up charge for specialty dining and Chef'sTable.