Time to Try Another Cruise Line

jack300s

I've been a regular with NCL since I started cruising. My first cabins were insides, then balconies, with the last three cruises being in suites. NCL is the only cruise line I've ever cruised on.

There's been a lot of changes recently. Some good and some bad. Many with new added fees and charges. This has made me wonder what its like on other cruise lines?

So, I've decided to leave NCL and try a couple of other Cruise Lines. Maybe I'll love another cruise line or hate them and come running back to NCL.....

It will be interesting and fun to compare.

The only way to know if something is worth it is to compare it to others.

Hence, why one needs to take multiple trips with another one to be able to fairly compare.

IMHO, a lot depends on the crew and how they do things on how pleasant a vacation is. Even in the same cruise line things are different per ship and per crew. Even then same ship with a different crew can change things around completely, not even including the itinerary.

I've got two Royal Caribbean cruises booked this year so that will decide my future.

For me NCL freestyle and solo cabins were the draw. However on the Quantum class RCI I have a studio balcony (no SGl supplement) which is a step up from I side studios on NCL. And they have got dynamic dining with only formal dress in one restaurant.

The new Oasis class Harmony if the seas will also have solo inside and ocean view rooms..

This year will decide my future... Whether a mix or a switch..

I keep looking at other cruise lines, but honestly don't know where to start. My DH is such a fan of freestyle dining and so, so, loathes regular time dining, seated with the same people every night, baked alaska parade, etc. I did look at MSC Divinia after the poster put a message on here, but I know DH would hate the food situation. So probably, we'll stick with the tried and true. In spite of the charges, we know the NCL product. But like the OP, I really am beginning to feel like I should shop around. Other than NCL, we've only cruised Carnival so far, and really didn't like it.

Edited by lisakoivu

I've been a regular with NCL since I started cruising. My first cabins were insides, then balconies, with the last three cruises being in suites. NCL is the only cruise line I've ever cruised on.

There's been a lot of changes recently. Some good and some bad. Many with new added fees and charges. This has made me wonder what its like on other cruise lines?

So, I've decided to leave NCL and try a couple of other Cruise Lines. Maybe I'll love another cruise line or hate them and come running back to NCL.....

It will be interesting and fun to compare.

Jack,

it is always ok and yes, fun to compare. For some it works, others it does not. Good luck, have fun trying a couple other lines.

I think it's always a good idea to sow your oats before you end up married to a cruise line. We've cruised Princess several times and really enjoyed it but want to see what else is out there, particularly now that we've got a little guy. We were going to try RCCL out of Baltimore, but they shortened the itinerary, so we're giving NCL a shot next spring.

I keep looking at other cruise lines, but honestly don't know where to start. My DH is such a fan of freestyle dining and so, so, loathes regular time dining, seated with the same people every night, baked alaska parade, etc. I did look at MSC Divinia after the poster put a message on here, but I know DH would hate the food situation. So probably, we'll stick with the tried and true. In spite of the charges, we know the NCL product. But like the OP, I really am beginning to feel like I should shop around. Other than NCL, we've only cruised Carnival so far, and really didn't like it.

We had Anytime Dining on our last Princess cruise and ended up only eating in the MDR once, and we got a table for 2. I think most lines have/are at least offering some variation of my-time/anytime/freestyle dining.

We are Platinum Latitudes members on NCL and have been trying other cruise lines. Our last 2 cruises have been with HAL and Celebrity. (In fact, we just got off the Celebrity Infinity after 2 weeks in South America.) Our next booked cruise is aboard HAL in May 2016. Our usual practice is also to book a last-minute Caribbean cruise. Right now, we are not even considering any NCL itineraries for Nov-Dec 2015 and I'm wondering how I'm going to use that last Freestyle Cruise Reward.

As we've branched out to other cruise lines, we've found it useful to articulate our priorities for taking a cruise vacation. For us, our top priority is itinerary, followed by value, and entertainment. Every new cruise line we've tried does things a little differently and sometimes we've found the experiences to be awkward/abrasive. If things get a little annoying, we just shrug and say, "oh well, at least it's a great itinerary," or "hey, we got a great deal so we must be having a good time!"

Wrt the dining, we've found that both HAL and Celebrity (and probably other lines we haven't tried yet) have a form of independent seating. The key for us was to learn how things worked in the dining room and to know how to ask for what we wanted. We had good results by making reservations and then asking for a private table for two when we showed up for dinner. (Some of the tables for 2 are located about 4 inches from each other so asking for a private location is important.) Being gracious to the maître d' helped as well.

Of the 3 lines we've tried so far, I have to say that NCL is still our favorite. There's something wonderful about all that energy, and we really love the NCL emphasis on great entertainment. While we've met good people on all our cruises, I would have to say that our NCL roll call buddies are just the best. (Thanks for the memories, old friends!) We'd be back in a heartbeat if only the NCL itineraries would sync up with our bucket list!