Ferry Experience

SugarStar00

Just back from Tortola and my plans got messed up a bit because I was counting on using both ferry companies, but only Speedy's was in operation that day. We were there on a Saturday, (3/28) which might be the reason why, but when I asked the girl at the ticket window she was very short with me and just kept saying "we have no trips to Virgin Gorda". Soooo since I was planning on taking the 2:15 ferry back on Smith's we were now faced with the decision of rushing back for the 12:40 speedy ferry or waiting until the 3:30 ferry and hoping we got back in time. I was also planning on finding my own taxi once there, but apparently without knowing it we purchased some package deal through Speedy's which included a taxi/van ride to and from the baths, which was nice but again very regimented on the times we had to be ready by.

We decided to take the later ferry back. We were done with the baths and beach around 1:30 and then ate at the restaurant by the parking lot (VERY slow service) and took our cab back to the ferry around 2:45. They wouldn't let us on the ferryboat until 3:15. Also, the ferry filled up and they had to ask people to get off and said they were sending a second boat. (I think the locals mostly got off and not sure if any cruise passengers had to). We didn't get back to our ship until 4:35. All on board was 4:30 that day. Everyone was feeling very pressured, although Carnival wasn't going to leave 200 people behind it was still a bit stressful. Sooo....3:30 is cutting it close for a 4:30 all on board.

Full review to come this weekend if you're interested....hope this helps someone!!

We also used the ferry that day. I was not at all impressed with the customer service of Speedy's. Actually found the staff to be rather rude. Really enjoyed experiencing The Baths and Devil's Bay though, beautiful place. We caught the 12:40 ferry back.

Thanks for the report Sugar, Lynn. Most days you are able to gain more time on VG by taking advantage of the different departure times between Speedy's and Smith's, some days, especially weekends, that option isn't available. And sorry to hear of your bad experiences with the Speedy's rep, obviously you want helpful service when taking the ferry for the first time, especially.

I know they do offer a package that includes the taxi and I also do not recommend that because it ties you down. But one of them has a package that also includes lunch at the Bath & Turtle in Spanishtown and that can be a stress free day for a family.

You were smart to get in the ferry line early as they will fill up on the later return, bringing a second ferry is common but in your case that wasn't an option.

But good info for others - check the ferry schedules for that day online prior to your cruise, and even then be ready for the unexpected.

Edited by blue_water