My comments on 3/22 Adventure of the Seas sailing (with comparisons to Carnival)

My family and I cruised on Adventure of the Seas on the 3/22/15 sailing. Here are our comments:

Stateroom: We were in a Junior Suite on Deck 9 (9284). The location was wonderful and very central to pretty much everything. The room was quite spacious and had a huge walk in closet and plenty of place to store things. My teen daughter and I shared the king bed and my husband and teen son shared the sofa bed. We were fine. I was worried because I had seen some reviews where people said space with an issue with more than three adults in a room of this type. We are used to a room with a king bed and a Pullman upper and lower.

The room had some wear—the carpet seams were visible and there were worn spots, in particular between the beds. The balcony was large but could use some paint touchups. The beds were hard and the pillows were either thin or lumpy. Other than that, we had no complaints with the room.

Dining room wait staff: Desmond (waiter) and Cany (assistant), both from India, were fantastic! Desmond was by far the best waiter we have had on any cruise, and Cany was an excellent assistant. We had MTD dining and after having experienced Desmond and Cany on the first night we made reservations at a table in their section for the rest of the cruise. If you have MTD dining and end up in their section, congratulations! Make a reservation and enjoy their excellent service all week. We gave them envelopes with additional tip on the last night of the cruise because we truly felt they deserved it.

Crown and Anchor benefits: We’re only Gold members, so there aren’t a lot of benefits. However, we were happy to have received a BOGO offer for milkshakes at Johnny Rockets. This was the only offer we ended up using.

Staff friendliness: We haven’t cruised Royal Caribbean since 1997, but staff on the ship don’t seem as friendly as we experienced before. Bartenders were generally pretty friendly, but I think room stewards for other cabins and waiter for other tables may have been told not to speak to guests unless they are spoken to. In the past they used to say hello to everyone, in my experience.

MDR food: We were really not impressed with the food. It was certainly edible, but we really noted a marked decline in food quality. That said, it HAS been 17 years since our last RCI cruise. My favorite meal was the chicken cordon bleu and my favorite dessert was the key lime pie. I also really liked the pumpkin seed and cheese rolls. My husband really liked that escargot was available every night, as that is his favorite appetizer. Their version of warm chocolate melting cake was beyond HORRIBLE!

Giovanni’s Table: We did not eat there, so I cannot comment.

WindJammer: We noticed a marked decrease in quality. The food just wasn't enjoyable or flavorful. I’ve had better buffet food at Golden Corral. There was always something to eat, but the quality just wasn’t good. Even many of the fruits weren’t ripe. Desserts were pretty awful. In fact, the only dessert we liked in there was the Ranger cookies. My daughter is in high school and is taking Foods 2 and was commenting that she could a better job of preparing some of the foods. Indeed, she probably could.

Music: We enjoyed Terry Dobson, the singer/guitarist in the Duck & Dog Pub several nights. We thought he was very talented and engaging. We also enjoyed the Caribbean band near the pool. Sorry, I don’t recall their name. The show band was also very talented—they played jazz a couple nights on the Main Street area on Deck 5 and seemed very popular.

Shows: With the exception of the ice show (which was fantastic!), they were not good. We really found Royal Caribbean to be lacking in the entertainment category. It really seemed like they were geared toward much older people. I was surprised at that. The performers were decent enough and did a good job at what they had to perform, but the subject matter was stale and geared toward seniors, in my opinion. I’m 45 and my husband is 50, so we’re not spring chickens, either! There was a guy named Scott Record doing impressions (and fart jokes) and we thought he was horrible. Not talented. Not funny. Although he was a decent singer, I’ll give him that. In fact, we ended up walking out during a point in the show when it was totally dark. There was a comedian named Carl Banks the last night of the cruise who was pretty funny. That and the ice show were the only shows we truly enjoyed.

Kids/Teen Club: My kids are 13 and almost 17. They did not like the Optix (teen) club on RCI. They much preferred Carnival’s teen clubs. When we boarded the ship, they only had one copy of the Teen activities in English and a huge pile of them in Spanish. It was never replenished, so my kids never knew when the organized activities were. Most of the time they ended up just meeting their friends outside the teen club at designated times and doing their own things.

Beverage package: My husband got the Select package, which includes non-alcoholic drinks, soda, beer and wine. He felt that he got his money’s worth, particularly in view of the recent alcoholic beverage price increases. I got the Royal Replenish package, which includes non-alcoholic drinks, soda, premium coffee drinks, fresh squeezed orange juice and bottled water. I’m pretty sure I drank at least $22 worth of beverages each day, particularly in view of the fact that they charge $3.50 for a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, $4.00 for a virgin pina colada and $5.50 for a grande vanilla latte or Frappuccino. One gripe about the Royal Replenish package: there was only one venue to get coffee, and there were often long lines due to the fact that it is the same place that serves Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. Also, on 3 out of 7 days I was told by staff in Windjammer that fresh squeezed orange juice was not yet available when I was there (7-7:30am). That was not acceptable, considering I paid extra for the package that includes fresh squeezed orange juice. They should have it available when Windjammer opens for breakfast.

Comparing Royal Caribbean and Carnival:

We have only cruised on Princess (once) and Carnival (7+ times) with our kids until this cruise. As I mentioned, DH and I haven’t cruised Royal Caribbean since Majesty of the Seas in 1997. Here are my “votes” for which line wins in certain categories:

Ship design and décor: Royal Caribbean wins. With the exception of the three most recent ships (Dream, Breeze and Magic), the décor of Carnival ships is pretty gaudy and over the top. We appreciated the tasteful design of Adventure of the Seas and its fairly simple, easy to navigate layout.

Adult areas: Royal Caribbean wins. We really liked the Solarium area on Adventure of the Seas. In particular, we liked the shady, covered areas including shaded hot tubs and the walk in steps to the solarium pool. We also liked that the adult area on Royal Caribbean is 16+, so our daughter was able to enjoy some time with us in there also. (Carnival’s Serenity area is 21+)

Hot tubs: Royal Caribbean wins. We really liked the large, covered hot tubs.

MDR food: Carnival wins for both quality and variety

Buffet food: Carnival wins for both quality and variety. Carnival’s buffet is open 24 hours. Royal’s buffet closes at 8:00. After that, the only option for food is Promenade Café or room service.

Desserts: Carnival wins for both quality and variety. We were surprised that the only desserts available at lunch time in the Windjammer were jello, cookies and some kind of jelly roll cake. The same things every day.

Soft serve ice cream/fro-yo: Carnival wins. While it was nice that they have someone serving the soft serve ice cream on Royal Caribbean, we didn’t like that it was only available from 12-6. On Carnival, you have to serve yourself but it is available 24 hours. Also, the kids missed the strawberry frozen yogurt.

Food available by the pool: Carnival wins. When lounging by the pool, we like the ability to be able to grab a quick burger or other nibble by the pool and not have to get dressed and go into a dining room. This was not available on Royal Caribbean.

Kids Club: Carnival wins. Activities were very well organized and my teens liked that the teen group was separated into 12-14 (Circle C) and 15-17 (Club 02). On Royal Caribbean, Ages 12-17 were all lumped together. My almost 17 year old daughter who is a junior in high school was kind of appalled at the idea of being in the same group as 6th graders. Carnival also provides free tee shirts for the registered kids club members on the last night of the cruise. Our kids enjoy having their friends sign the shirts. Royal Caribbean did not have anything comparable, or even a “Farewell” party, as they do on Carnival. Our kids felt the teen program on Royal Caribbean was really lacking. They missed Carnival.

Live music: Royal Caribbean wins. Carnival has done away with live music on deck in favor of DJs, which I think is a big mistake.

Comedy: Carnival wins. If you like comedy, Carnival has a comedy club and several family friendly and adults only shows every night. We missed that a lot on Royal Caribbean.

Shows: Carnival wins. We liked their production shows much better than Royal Caribbean’s (at least on Adventure of the Seas), although I think the performers themselves may be more talented on Royal Caribbean. I understand that Allure and Oasis have some amazing shows, but that was not the case on Adventure of the Seas. The ice show on Adventure of the Seas was fantastic and is not to be missed, in my opinion.

Beverage packages: Royal Caribbean wins, by far. We liked the variety of options. Carnival only has one beverage package ($55 per day) and both adults in the room have to buy it. I don’t really drink, so it’s not worth it for me. So because of that my husband doesn’t buy it on Carnival, either.

So, there you have my two cents, for what it’s worth. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for sharing your comparison. We've only sailed Carnival once and that was on an older ship, the Triumph. I agree with just about everything you've said...my thoughts exactly. The thing I was most impressed with on Carnival was the food. Although we still prefer Royal, Princess and Celebrity, we are certainly open to another Carnival cruise.

Great job. I agree with everything you said. :) Royals lack of food variety is really bad but I love the serenity area and the itinerary the Adventure does. Since you don't buy the alcohol packages Carnival do you remember what the drinks costs? Princess is my favorite line hands down but I haven't been on Celebrity yet. I love the freshly made pizza/burgers/chicken sandwhiches made fresh right there unlike Royals frozen Tostino's type cardboard pizza.

Thanks for your review. I will be on the Adventure in 2 1/2 weeks and I am looking forward to no dishes no beds to make no meals to cook no dishes to do ahhhhhh

Great job. I agree with everything you said. :) Royals lack of food variety is really bad but I love the serenity area and the itinerary the Adventure does. Since you don't buy the alcohol packages Carnival do you remember what the drinks costs? Princess is my favorite line hands down but I haven't been on Celebrity yet. I love the freshly made pizza/burgers/chicken sandwhiches made fresh right there unlike Royals frozen Tostino's type cardboard pizza.

Thanks for your review. I will be on the Adventure in 2 1/2 weeks and I am looking forward to no dishes no beds to make no meals to cook no dishes to do ahhhhhh

A frozen drink on Carnival is usually $7.50 - $8.95ish. These days, frozen drinks on Royal Caribbean are $12!

Dining room wait staff: Desmond (waiter) and Cany (assistant), both from India, were fantastic! Desmond was by far the best waiter we have had on any cruise, and Cany was an excellent assistant. We had MTD dining and after having experienced Desmond and Cany on the first night we made reservations at a table in their section for the rest of the cruise. If you have MTD dining and end up in their section, congratulations! Make a reservation and enjoy their excellent service all week. We gave them envelopes with additional tip on the last night of the cruise because we truly felt they deserved it. [/font]

We were on this same cruise and had the wonderful opportunity to sit with Desmond & Cany 3x. They were some of the best servers we have experienced on any ship!

Beverage package: My husband got the Select package, which includes non-alcoholic drinks, soda, beer and wine. He felt that he got his money’s worth, particularly in view of the recent alcoholic beverage price increases. I got the Royal Replenish package, which includes non-alcoholic drinks, soda, premium coffee drinks, fresh squeezed orange juice and bottled water.

Does the Select package include bottled water too?

Does the Select package include bottled water too?

No, nor does it include the fancy coffees or fresh squeezed orange juice. Just beer, wine, soda and non-alcoholic drinks like virgin pina coladas.

We were on this same cruise and had the wonderful opportunity to sit with Desmond & Cany 3x. They were some of the best servers we have experienced on any ship!

Glad we're not the only ones who thought so! :) They were truly great. My kids were amused because they said that Desmond sounds exactly like King Julian from the Madagascar movies.

What time did you eat? You may have been sitting right by us. Our reservation was at 6:00.

How did you enjoy the ports?

The ports were great! Southern is our favorite itinerary. We went to Barbados, St. Croix, St. Maarten, St. Lucia and Antigua. My family did catamaran snorkeling/sailing trips at each port. Our favorite was in Barbados where we got to snorkel with sea turtles. That was amazing!

Edited by Laurin612

We were on the same cruise, also on the 9th floor and probably bumped into you on the stairwell. I've only cruised Carnival before, (but only once so I don't have a vast experience to draw from).

We loved the ship so much more than the Carnival Liberty. So much more. the layout, the touch screens - everything made sense.

I found it easier to get a drink on Carnival - there always seemed to be someone around with a tray, willing to bring you a drink - On the Adventure, you had to get your own drinks - up at the bar, witch made the 18% gratuity a bit generous. We even walked out of the champagne bar twice because there was no service and bartenders were not making eye contact.

I found some crew members to be astonishingly good and some who either must have been really, really ready for a break - and some who are probably not well suited to the industry at all. Dirty tables in the Windjammer, while crew members hang around in groups talking and laughing. Some looking downright surly. Something is going on on that ship - either they have a bugger of a boss or there is a reason morale seems to be low. I feel badly even saying that - I couldn't do what they do - week in and week out. Our steward was efficient and professional but didn't seem happy either. I think this ship may be really short staffed and everyone is overworked to the point of shutting down. Lots of exceptions though.

Carnival wins the food showdown no problem. I found the food on Royal to be similar to what you will find in a nursing home or hospital - they have really mastered the art of cheaping out on ingredients. Giovanni's was either magnificent or just magnificent in comparison to the other available food - either way, we did enjoy that.

We did he Murder Mystery Night - which was cheesy but fun - it was done on Formal Night and about 3/4 of the crowd was dressed nicely - and 1/4 came in beach/back yard clean up attire. People are weird.

I did enjoy the entertainment more than what I experienced on Carnival.

I guess smarmy shopping consultants exist on all cruise lines - but they are easy to ignore.

Loved the stops, the people we met, and the culture on the ship in general.

The one Carnival cruise I took was in August - Western Caribbean. The clientele on that sailing were not people I'd want to sail with again - gluttons, eaters - and people who spent the 7 days piling their trays with as much food as possible - people who probably starve themselves all year and then take a cruise. I found it disgusting. While this cruise had the odd person shoveling in food in the buffet queue, not even taking a moment to sit down - and the odd adult who was either unable or unwilling to eat with their mouth closed - the group was quite a bit more refined.

Communication was not the greatest at times. On the first day of the cruise - dinner was at 6:30 - instead of 6pm. There MAY have been something in the small print of the daily program - but nothing else. No signs, no announcements - nothing. So several hundred of us turned up that first night and had to wait for 30 minutes. No biggie - but maybe in the spirit of customer service, they could go that extra mile, (or inch) to inform people of a time change that is out of the regular routine.

Also - on the last day - we received our information about gathering at 11am to be called to leave the ship. We went to the deck and hung out until 11 - at which time we obediently went to our designated area. No-one there. Ship deserted. Not knowing what to do - we left the ship, (unsure if we were supposed to) and found that we were the LAST people left - only our luggage was sitting there. It wasn't a tragedy - we got processed really quickly but, I am not sure why they have these leaving guidelines if no-one follows them and just gets off when they want to. And again. No announcements after around 9:30am that day. Weird.

Another thing that peeves me off - internet. Expensive and not reliable. Free wifi is quickly becoming a deal breaker for me when it comes to hotels etc. If Royal were interested in good customer service, the least they could do is ake wifi free on the last day - the day everyone gets off the ship - that way - everyone can reconnect with the outside world while waiting to leave the ship.

I have nothing but praise for the Ship's doctor and nurse! Don't want to provide too much information - but we experienced a late night visit - with a very ill family member and had a very positive experience.

All in all - a great holiday.

We were on the same cruise, also on the 9th floor and probably bumped into you on the stairwell. I've only cruised Carnival before, (but only once so I don't have a vast experience to draw from).

We loved the ship so much more than the Carnival Liberty. So much more. the layout, the touch screens - everything made sense.

I found it easier to get a drink on Carnival - there always seemed to be someone around with a tray, willing to bring you a drink - On the Adventure, you had to get your own drinks - up at the bar, witch made the 18% gratuity a bit generous. We even walked out of the champagne bar twice because there was no service and bartenders were not making eye contact.

I found some crew members to be astonishingly good and some who either must have been really, really ready for a break - and some who are probably not well suited to the industry at all. Dirty tables in the Windjammer, while crew members hang around in groups talking and laughing. Some looking downright surly. Something is going on on that ship - either they have a bugger of a boss or there is a reason morale seems to be low. I feel badly even saying that - I couldn't do what they do - week in and week out. Our steward was efficient and professional but didn't seem happy either. I think this ship may be really short staffed and everyone is overworked to the point of shutting down. Lots of exceptions though.

Carnival wins the food showdown no problem. I found the food on Royal to be similar to what you will find in a nursing home or hospital - they have really mastered the art of cheaping out on ingredients. Giovanni's was either magnificent or just magnificent in comparison to the other available food - either way, we did enjoy that.

We did he Murder Mystery Night - which was cheesy but fun - it was done on Formal Night and about 3/4 of the crowd was dressed nicely - and 1/4 came in beach/back yard clean up attire. People are weird.

I did enjoy the entertainment more than what I experienced on Carnival.

I guess smarmy shopping consultants exist on all cruise lines - but they are easy to ignore.

Loved the stops, the people we met, and the culture on the ship in general.

The one Carnival cruise I took was in August - Western Caribbean. The clientele on that sailing were not people I'd want to sail with again - gluttons, eaters - and people who spent the 7 days piling their trays with as much food as possible - people who probably starve themselves all year and then take a cruise. I found it disgusting. While this cruise had the odd person shoveling in food in the buffet queue, not even taking a moment to sit down - and the odd adult who was either unable or unwilling to eat with their mouth closed - the group was quite a bit more refined.

Communication was not the greatest at times. On the first day of the cruise - dinner was at 6:30 - instead of 6pm. There MAY have been something in the small print of the daily program - but nothing else. No signs, no announcements - nothing. So several hundred of us turned up that first night and had to wait for 30 minutes. No biggie - but maybe in the spirit of customer service, they could go that extra mile, (or inch) to inform people of a time change that is out of the regular routine.

Also - on the last day - we received our information about gathering at 11am to be called to leave the ship. We went to the deck and hung out until 11 - at which time we obediently went to our designated area. No-one there. Ship deserted. Not knowing what to do - we left the ship, (unsure if we were supposed to) and found that we were the LAST people left - only our luggage was sitting there. It wasn't a tragedy - we got processed really quickly but, I am not sure why they have these leaving guidelines if no-one follows them and just gets off when they want to. And again. No announcements after around 9:30am that day. Weird.

Another thing that peeves me off - internet. Expensive and not reliable. Free wifi is quickly becoming a deal breaker for me when it comes to hotels etc. If Royal were interested in good customer service, the least they could do is ake wifi free on the last day - the day everyone gets off the ship - that way - everyone can reconnect with the outside world while waiting to leave the ship.

I have nothing but praise for the Ship's doctor and nurse! Don't want to provide too much information - but we experienced a late night visit - with a very ill family member and had a very positive experience.

All in all - a great holiday.

Thanks for sharing your comments. Sounds like we had very similar experiences. I like to be "unplugged" while on vacation so I can't comment on the internet, but I agree with you on all other things you mentioned except the shows (as I mentioned, I prefer Carnival's production shows).

Sorry to hear your family member had a late night doctor's office visit. I hope everything is OK.

I can see what you mean about there being a difference between the clientele on Carnival and the clientele on Royal Caribbean. (Although I'm not sure what that says about my family because we're pretty loyal to Carnival! :p) I think it may just be a function of the fact that Carnival is quite a bit cheaper and so you may encounter more "blue collar" folks there. We're not blue collar but we like Carnival and find it a tremendous value. Conversely, we noticed some people on this cruise who seemed entitled and...a bit stuffy, for lack of better word. Again, I'm not sure what it says about my family, but we generally find the Carnival crowd to be more fun and down to earth.

I hope everyone had a wonderful cruise!

Laurin

Edited by Laurin612

....Carnival cruise was representative of Carnival's clientele - otherwise everyone would be aware of it. It was August 2013 - in the dead of summer - on a very price reduced cruise, (shortly after a PR disaster of the ship that lost power in the sea). I'll never forget how excited we were to get on our first cruise ship and lo and behold - we walked through the buffet and it was like a scene out of a movie! The. Eating. Did. Not. Stop I think the planets aligned just right to make that happen - a perfect storm of eaters ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, have been on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and will be on RCCL again in July after a few years of Carnival. I agree with pretty well everything you have said and especially about the food.

Our son and family just came off Navigator last week and made a comment about sandwiches and the Promenade Cafe. On Carnival the sandwich area was very popular and the sandwiches were definitely fresh and great tasting. Last time we were on RCCL we enjoyed the variety of sandwiches and pizzas at the Promenade Cafe. My son said that this time they had exactly the same sandwiches every day of the cruise and ditto for the pizza which was mainly just cheese and pepperoni with no other variety.

I'd be interested in knowing if the Promenade Cafe on Adventure is the same?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your cruise! I will be on Adventure for the first time next month, and first Southern Caribbean, and like to hear about other people's experiences.

The part I quoted above is the only thing I have question about... Meeting to disembark at 11am was most definitely not correct. Perhaps you misread the paperwork? There were no announcements after 930am because everyone is normally supposed to be off the ship by then. I have actually Boarded by 11am on almost every cruise I've been on. If you kept that paperwork I'd be curious to see it.

Otherwise, it sounds like you had a great cruise!

I, too, have been on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and will be on RCCL again in July after a few years of Carnival. I agree with pretty well everything you have said and especially about the food.

Our son and family just came off Navigator last week and made a comment about sandwiches and the Promenade Cafe. On Carnival the sandwich area was very popular and the sandwiches were definitely fresh and great tasting. Last time we were on RCCL we enjoyed the variety of sandwiches and pizzas at the Promenade Cafe. My son said that this time they had exactly the same sandwiches every day of the cruise and ditto for the pizza which was mainly just cheese and pepperoni with no other variety.

I'd be interested in knowing if the Promenade Cafe on Adventure is the same?

In the Promenade café they have a display of pre-made sandwiches. They are not made to order. I would liken the sandwich offerings in Promenade Café to pre-made deli sandwiches at a gas station. OK if you are STARVING and it's 3:00am, but otherwise I'd probably take a pass. :p

My teens ate late night pizza with friends at Promenade Café, but they both said they liked Carnival's pizza a lot better. And, yes, there was not much variety--the kids only saw pepperoni and cheese, but that is what they like so they were fine with it.

OSULabRat, I did not keep the debarkation schedule, but I do recall there were a few groups that were listed to depart as late as 11:00. I was surprised to see that, especially since we boarded at about that time the previous week. That said, I think everyone was assembling in their designated area earlier than posted to get a head start. Our meeting area was one of the dining rooms at 9:00 or 9:30 and it was PACKED with people waiting to debark. That might be why there was no one at the meeting area when darlacat went to her designated meeting place--everyone had left early.