Secrets of the Norwegian Gem

There is a recent thread about this, as well as some reviews (including mine as I sadly left the ship last Friday). There is a great search feature on this site. :)

I love the Gem and my favorite spots are the Spinnaker Lounge deck 13 forward, and the Great Outdoors, deck 12 at the stern, just behind the buffet.

Edited by mizlorinj

Thank you for the info on the Spinnaker Lounge and Great Outdoors. This is the type of info I am looking for whenever I am sailing on a ship for the first time. I don't want to waste a couple of days finding this out during the cruise. Also, do you have any "not to be missed" events? (like certain shows, organized activities, favorite bartenders, piano lounge piano player, main dining room dishes, etc)

Get the UDP. Not only do you get to eat at all the pay restaurants, you also get to order the upcharge items, like lobster, for free! And you can go to more than one restaurant per night. Twice I had the Schezuan Lobster at Orchid Garden at 5:30, then saw the show, then had Filet Mignon at Cagney's at 9pm. Without the UDP those 2 nights would have been $55 each.

On the last afternoon at sea there was a crew talent show in the theatre. This was fun to watch. At the end of the show the Cruise Director's staff performed Fountains. If you have never seen Fountains performed live you simply must make it a priority to be there. This is a performance, like that of the Magician, that is best seen from the center of the front row. Remember, these things are always best the very first time you see it, so do yourself a favor and do not ask anyone about the show beforehand, other than to confirm the time of its performance.

Thank you for the info on the Spinnaker Lounge and Great Outdoors. This is the type of info I am looking for whenever I am sailing on a ship for the first time. I don't want to waste a couple of days finding this out during the cruise. Also, do you have any "not to be missed" events? (like certain shows, organized activities, favorite bartenders, piano lounge piano player, main dining room dishes, etc)

I loved the Get Down Tonight / 70's Show.

If Leo is onboard, he's the best entertainer going.

Orchid Garden's Banana Pancakes w/ Coconut Ice Cream is the most amazing dessert on the ship.

ALL of the Asian food in the buffet is excellent. The absolute highest quality food of the entire buffet experience.

Orchid Garden's Banana Pancakes w/ Coconut Ice Cream is the most amazing dessert on the ship.

I would say the classic Creme Brulee in Le Bistro is the best dessert.

Second would be the aforementioned Banana Pancakes from Orchid Garden.

Third is the Cheesecake/Brownie at O'Sheehans.

In a class by itself though, is the make your own version of dessert available at the buffet. The variety of ingredients makes the selection endless. My favorite is to get a bowl, add a muffin or biscuit, add a generous scoop of the strawberry topping, followed by a scoop of whipped cream. It is what cruising is all about.

And speaking of buffet "secrets" ...

Want a nice latte in the morning but feel charging for specialty coffee is just wrong on a cruise ship? Then grab your prefered size empty glass from any bar and head to the buffet. Fill it about 90% of the way to the top rim with ice. Next fill about 70% with coffee (this is where the ridiculously strong coffee on NCL actually shines -- it is almost like adding espresso and will not get overly diluted by the melting ice). Now fill to the top with half & half. Finally add one Equal packet or, if it is during breakfast hours, use maple syrup instead. Best latte I have been able to find at sea. And did I mention it is free? :D

We just came back from cruising on the Gem for the first time.

We didn't do any activities for which we had to pay extra, but we still enjoyed our time very much!

First full day at sea was very rough for us with 3.5 m waves and very rocky. Be prepared to either take some meds or sleep it off, if that's the case for your sailing. On the way back, however, it was very nice and almost calm.

I agree about the Crew Talent Show. It was great! You have to see the Fountains!

Also, the acrobatic duo was an amazing show!

If you are into chocolate, there is a chocolate night (I think it was the first sea day on the way back, but I might be wrong on timing). What surprised us was that they closed it very early. By 9:45 all the chocolate deserts were gone, so get there early if you like chocolate.

Sun Deck on Deck 14 is a very quiet place with round wicker lounges - great for relaxation!

Enjoy your cruise!

The 18 year olds will have a good time. There's plenty to do for young adults with comedy shows, dancing, etc.

The extra charge items are the specialty restaurants ($15 to $30 per person, plus 18% auto-gratuity), drinks with 18% auto-gratuity, a room service charge for some items (but not coffee and pastry in the morning) on two ships so far and some other miscellaneous things (bowling if there's a bowling alley, etc.)

The only extra that almost all passengers pay is the $12.95 per day "DSC" which covers tips for all the other workers (room stewards, etc.) If you are in a suite and above, that daily service fee per person is $14.95. Some have it reduced or removed, but many people feel they are people of low moral character or cheapskates.

You have multiple choices for free food in two main dining rooms and at least one 24 hour venue, a buffet and one "pub food" style place open during meal times (some ships have more free options). You can avoid ever having to pay for food if you like. My wife an I often take a cruise where we don't spend any extra money on board, while on other cruises we decide to try a specialty restaurant or grab a drink or two.

Great outdoors is great for breakfast, or if you just want to sit, relax and have a drink. Best place in the ship!

Is there food available out there or is this just an additional seating area? Do you have to get your food from the main buffet first and then go out there to sit and eat?

Ah yes, the GEM. We are dedicated NCL cruisers, love the cruise line, lattitude members Silver going onto Gold (next cruise). Of all the ships we have been on with NCL, GEM seems to have a special place in our hearts. Not sure why, we have done the Jewel & Breakaway as well (multiple times), but for some reason, when we got back onto the GEM this year, we just felt right at home. I think it just felt to be the right size without being too overcrowded.

Excellent points made so far. Morning breakfasts are overcrowded in the buffet restaurant, much nicer to take your tray across the hall to Cucina, more quiet, more chances to find seating.

When our neighbours joined us on this year's cruise, all we could talk about was to get ready to see the Fountains show. Make sure you do not miss it, and film it too !! Hilarious !!

One more thing that was not mentioned. NCL is known for their White Party, where everyone dresses in white, and dances the night away. We took our son, our neighbours took their daughters. For sure you won't find many kids at this party, but if you have kids and they are into dancing, try it out. We lasted about 2 hours which was awesome. Most popular party on the ship.

I believe the Breakaway calls it the Glow Party now, with glow sticks and things like that.

You will need to plan your meals according to show times at the theater. We always liked to eat around 6:00 - 6:30 and then catch the 9:00 show. There are always 2 shows, one at 7:00 and a repeat at 9:00.

I believe if you go outside on the 7th deck, there is a walking track. Even though there are chairs and shuffle board out there, you can actually walk around the entire ship. It even shows how many "laps" to complete a mile. We used to go for a few rounds to walk off our big buffet lunches, not jogging, as there is a dedicated jogging track, but a fast walk.

If you have kids, pay attention to the arts & crafts stuff, as NCL is associated with Nickelodeon. So they have family activities like color your own Dora or SpongeBob shirt, make your own scrapbook, etc

There are 4 bowling lanes in one of the smaller teen dance clubs, that's fun too.

Oh, one more thing, the most popular restaurant by far on the ship is Teppinyaki. Seating is limited, so you will want to book this in advance online (yes you can book all of your restaurants and excurions online before getting on the ship). I always book my favorite restaurants in advance, and while you can book most of them on the ship, it is always tougher to find space at Teppinyaki due to the 4 cooking surfaces which seats about 12 people each.

Oh, one more thing again, they have the most amazing BBQ pit next to the pool. They usually do this when at sea during warmer days (if leaving out of NY). The tastiest chicken and rice, and just the smell of it all next to the pool is amazing.

Enjoy your trip, you won't be disappointed, great ship !!

Guess it depends on your parenting style. I would not take kids to the regular 'white hot party' some of the lyrics in the songs have curse words etc. There was a family white hot party which would be more appropriate & fun for the kids!

Yes, book Teppanyaki right away if you plan to dine there one night. It is extra ,but really worth it. We had the UBP (Ultimate Beverage Package), but paid one night for Teppanyaki. The shrimp was the best I have tasted!

Definitely see 'fountains', not to be missed. :)

If they have the International dance show night then that was my favorite. They danced around the world basically.... Africa, Ireland, New York City, Greece etc. Beautiful & fun!

Wow, I get to answer an acronym question, after just having figured them out, fun !!!

UDP = Unlimited Dining Plan

You don't have to pay an entrance fee for the specialty restaurants like Cagney's, Cuccina, Teppinyaki, etc, which vary between $15-$30.

As for the White Party, it's really not that bad. My son knows that he either gets left behind (when the grandparents are with us), or he comes along and we have a family date night, where everyone dresses up.

My absolute best memory of the cruise was picking him up into the air when they were playing Jump Around, and the ship's photographer snapped a shot of him up in the air, lots of people were talking about that shot the next day in the photo area. Yes they play rap, and yes the words can get harsh at times, but it's not like that for the entire night.

Besides, he accidently hears it on YouTube videos and at school. Rule is simple, it is ok to hear it, it is not ok to repeat it. Trust me, my cousin married an Italian, and when he and the brother get going at dinner, every 2nd word is F***, so he's exposed to it in family environments (unfortunately). Part of the culture. BTW, when I talk about kids at the White Party, I am not talking about 3-5 yr olds, my son is 9, and the girls we were with were 9 and 12. In my mind, going onto teens.

And personally, I think NCL is moving in this direction for the White Party. When we cruised on the Breakaway, the White Party was renamed to the Glow Party, and they were handing out glow necklaces and bracelets. There were more kids at the Glow Party for sure than the traditional White Party on the Gem or Jewel.

But I hear you, it's not for all parents or kids, does depend on how loose or strict you are with dealing with a few swear words here or there.

Neil

Excuse me but what is the UDP? Thanks.

Close, but the UDP is the Ultimate Dining Plan. We chose it when offered the option of a free UDP, UBP, or DSC with our booking. According to my wife, the UDP would have cost us $164 each, or $492 for the 3 of us on our the 10 day cruise. According to our receipts, we would have spent $830 if paying individually for the restaurants and upgraded meals that we chose. In contrast, as light drinkers, we only spent abut $100 on bar drinks.

Another "secret" -- Teppanyaki was open for lunch on sea days during our cruise. We personally found the "everything coated in garlic butter" to be a once is enough for us, but many others rave about the place. If you have the UDP I recommend not wasting a dinner there. Instead, go to Teppanyaki for lunch and save your dinner for yet another free specialty meal! Always check your Freestyle Daily to see what food options are open. You never know...

Edited by OceanBlue123