Ways to Surprise Your Spouse with a Cruise

Mdchris

If someone who wasn't even addressing you was sharing an anecdote about how they saw someone in their family running to catch something amd slipped on a banana peel, would you come back with that was from the three stooges, or Chevy Chase did that on SNL. No you wouldn't have the balls to do it, but since you're behind a keyboard typing away you feel the need to but in, and share your little quip also subtly accusing me of plagiarism.

That'll learn you, amikins. Don't make light-hearted remarks when theriac's around!

I'd like to chip in with an anecdote about how an Englishman went opff to Australia to pay a surprise visit to his Australian girlfriend, only to find when he got there that she had gone to England to pay a surprise visit on him. But perhaps this isn't the place! ;)

YouTube 'surprise anniversary gift' ( can't paste it here from my phone)

Gal in a black checkered shirt being surprised by DH to go on a flight to Europe in an hour and a half.

No he's not my father because he is a fictional character.

I'm not sure about "A Very Brady Christmas" as I've never seen it, but it is what happened to my grandparents. Doesnt comedy mimic reality and is based off of tragedy? I'd presume this same thing happened to an EP or staff writers family at some point.

If someone who wasn't even addressing you was sharing an anecdote about how they saw someone in their family running to catch something amd slipped on a banana peel, would you come back with that was from the three stooges, or Chevy Chase did that on SNL. No you wouldn't have the balls to do it, but since you're behind a keyboard typing away you feel the need to but in, and share your little quip also subtly accusing me of plagiarism.

I looked at your previous post (unless there's more from you on the first page) and don't get the tragedy angle. And I don't get that the other poster was accusing you of anything.

I would never book and pay for a high cost trip w/o discussing it w my wife. You have more guts than I would ever have. Tell us how it goes.

DON

I don't think either one of us would plan something as a surprise without asking the other. I'm not big on surprises nor being surprised. And this has to include my daughter (who's 17 now). A few years ago we booked a cruise -- our first vacation over a couple of days in some five years, and told our daughter, then 13. She wasn't too thrilled about not getting asked first so the next time we told her we wanted to repeat the same cruise (as it turned out one of the friends she made was also repeating it).

My sister and I surprised our hubbies for their 60th birthdays. We didn't tell them anything until a week before departure, and then we gave them a little poem every couple days, giving them hints. Ultimately, they were told to pack for a week in a warm climate. When we got to the hotel for our 1 night pre-cruise all of our kids were there to give them the surprise that we were all going on a cruise. They were absolutely speechless......the best surprise we've ever pulled off and it was magical.

No he's not my father because he is a fictional character.

I'm not sure about "A Very Brady Christmas" as I've never seen it, but it is what happened to my grandparents. Doesnt comedy mimic reality and is based off of tragedy? I'd presume this same thing happened to an EP or staff writers family at some point.

Have you heard the expression "tongue in cheek"? The guy was trying to be funny and light hearted. Sounds like you could you some of that yourself.

Plagiarism? You have got to be kidding. Being called Brady (the fictional character) merely meant that they were always getting into little pickles in a good laughable way. There was no harm or offense meant. Certainly your comments were much meaner than the person you are complaining about. Seems like someone sitting behind a keyboard typing away doesn't have a sense of humor and needs to lash out at complete strangers.

As to the surprise. My DH doesn't care when we go or where we go .... for the most part. Once in a great while he will have an opinion. He doesn't handle the finances so doesn't know and doesn't care what the trip costs as long as our bills are paid. He's a guy. He can pack in 30 minutes.

He was making fun of me one day as I was putting together the 3 ring binder for our Med cruise. The sections for the airfare, hotel, excursions etc. I said "what?! Do you think you just show up at the airport and the airlines somehow magically know where you are going?" Yes, he says, that's what always happens to me :D.

I don't like surprises of any nature, but deal with them as they occur, and in this instance, would try to be gracious while gritting my teeth.

The funny thing for my DH.... he doesn't care about surprises but do NOT EVER tell the server that it is his birthday. OMG! Laid back, quiet, goes along with anything - except that. Well, that's if I bring it up. If his kids do, well that's okay LOL.

The funny thing for my DH.... he doesn't care about surprises but do NOT EVER tell the server that it is his birthday. OMG! Laid back, quiet, goes along with anything - except that. Well, that's if I bring it up. If his kids do, well that's okay LOL.

My DW is OK with the Happy Birthday thing in restaurants.

When we were first dating , there was something on TV about this guy that staged this big spectacle to propose to his girlfriend. He was dressed like Prince Charming and rode a white horse to her job and all the co workers and spectators were gathered around .

DW said if someone guy ever did that to her, or some other elaborate thing in a mob of people. She would say NO and just walk. *LOL*

We were only dating a couple weeks, so at that time marriage wasn't even on the radar. Plus that kind of thing is not me. So when I finally did propose it was very intimate and private and I guess she loved it because she said yes *LOL*

12 years later, whenever we have "one of those days" that couples occasionally have . I will say "Damn I should have gotten the Prince Charming outfit and the horse when I had the chance" *LOL*

Your lucky DH must have a great job and co-workers. At my office, every minute of the day seems to be scheduled on Outlook. When I plan a cruise, I have to block out that time weeks in advance, and send a zillion emails and project updates the week before we leave.

4 days notice would be pretty disruptive to my team, but, boy-oh-boy, I'd be worth it!

I think simple is best. Download the boarding pass and put it in a sweet card. Give it to him over a romantic dinner or just over drinks at home. If you like a little more flair, you could arrange for the waiter to deliver it with a split of champagne or dessert,

I don't like surprises of any nature, but deal with them as they occur, and in this instance, would try to be gracious while gritting my teeth.

I thought I was the only one - I would be happy if they told me at least month or 2 beforehand so I can schedule vacation and coverage properly...If its 4 days before the trip, I really would grit my teeth and pray the ports are in Caribbean and not in Canada especially in winter - Just saying, warm and sunny weather soothes the temper & nerves down.:D

I've booked a 4 day cruise to surprise my husband for our fifth wedding anniversary. I'd love to hear some creative ways to let him know. I'll be telling him on our anniversary - which is Four days before we leave. I'm arranging work off for him and everything. I just need a really fun way to let him know. TIA

WOW, four days notice. If I did that with my DW, should would go on the cruise but solo! I'd still be recovering in Intensive Care.:p

I gave my significant other a cruise for his birthday. I'm kind of an over-planner, so I went a bit over-board but...

• I made a birthday card/gift certificate, announcing the gift.
  • I used a free photo book coupon from Shutterfly to make a book entitled "Cruise Reservation Holder's Owner's Manual" in which I included photos of the ship we were taking and the ports we'd be visiting.
  • While he was looking through the book and trying to wrap his head around the whole thing, I slipped out to the dining room and quickly put out a tropical table cloth, Royal Caribbean drink glasses and a tropical parrot hanging from the light fixture. I also started a playlist of tropical music.
  • I called him in to see the cake I had baked and decorated with edible hibiscus flowers.

Yeah...kind of over-kill. But it's by far the most expensive gift I'd ever given anyone!! It was his first cruise and he loved it. Our next one is coming up in January!

I would agree with the others who said four days may not be sufficient time. I told my SO 11 months in advance, so we could enjoy all the planning together. We did a 7 day and had 5 ports and I wanted him to be involved in deciding the shore excursions. And really, planning is a big part of the FUN. I also recommend having the big reveal a bit earlier.

Edited by printingchick

YouTube 'surprise anniversary gift' ( can't paste it here from my phone)

Gal in a black checkered shirt being surprised by DH to go on a flight to Europe in an hour and a half.

I would LOVE that! Nothing is better then a suprice holiday :D