Current Norovirus on Pearl?

chloemonkey

Just read in another post that someone booked on the 4/6/15 10 day cruise out of Miami received word from NCL to arrive LATE for check in as they will have to do extra cleaning and disinfecting due to a nori virus outbreak on the cruise that ends on 4/6/15

We too are booked on the 4/6 cruise and have not heard a word from NCL. We fly out to Miami in the morning and I was just curious as to when they might notify the rest of the passengers? As in what time frame is protocol?

The other poster mentioned 1:00 pm as the time that they were told to arrive. Would NCL "stagger" the arrival times that they suggest? We are just curious as to how this new turn of events will effect embarkation.....and k ow that it will all be fine....just curious as to whether or not we will get word from NcL and how long these cleaning and inspections take.

Yes, apparently it is true and NCL is doing a great job keeping this under control. They are also arriving early so they can get people off the ship asap. As for staggering, probably not, but the cruise ships have gone through this often. They will be able to process us a lot faster than they did in the years gone by. I can remember, when boarding never started before 1pm and the ships only held about 1000 passengers. It still took hours to get us on board. I am sure we are going to have some back up on Monday, but we will all survive it.

I too am on that cruise and haven't yet heard from my TA. But we will pay attention to the info from the CDC and arrive at the ship after 1. Guess we will suffer through the delay by shopping at the Bayside Market in the port of Miami and do our part to make it easy for the cleaning crew.

We are currently sailing on the Pearl and on our way back to Miami.

Things are not awful and crew seems to have everything in hand and doing their best to keep things under control.

I have not seen any passengers who are ill and have not heard any passengers complaining they are not feeling well. In other words this is very much a normal cruise for those who are not ill.

For those who have contracted the virus I hope they soon recover. At one point the Captain announced that approximately 30% of the passengers had been affected. The CDC says 4.37 which is more likely.

The Pearl is a wonderful ship with a terrific crew. For those of you boarding on the 6th I think all will be well. Just remember "Washy Washy"

Edited by kcwingwalker
additional info

With specific questions for NCL regarding the current status of the Pearl, why not contact NCL directly, rather than seeking advice from people not on the ship at the present time

First of all, I DID receive word from someone currently ON the ship...secondly, as many will understand, you do NOT always get the same answer when phoning NCL. And lastly, this issue came up LATE last night - so I did not even consider that there would be anyone answering the phones at NCL at that time.....

And for the record, I did book directly so no TA to advise....but DID hear from NCL with a pre-recorded message this morning....so NCL has managed to advise us.

We are sure that NCL is doing everything to rectify the situation and also are certain that we will have a great time....

Thanks to those of you that WERE willing to answer with helpful info!

I know the extra steps HAL takes if there is a noro like virus on board to keep it under control and ultimately get rid of it.....

What steps does NCL take?

Do they remove bread baskets from dinner tables, no salt and pepper shakers, close hot tubs, no self service in buffet, close library etc?

Thanks.

I know the extra steps HAL takes if there is a noro like virus on board to keep it under control and ultimately get rid of it.....

Do they remove bread baskets from dinner tables, no salt and pepper shakers, close hot tubs, no self service in buffet, close library etc?

Thanks.

Yes, all of the above. We were on the one of our NCL cruises and a baby spit up (small amount if you have ever had a baby spit up) There was a quarantine area around the spot and until it was cleaned sanitized and dried. Overly cautious, but I was impressed that they didn't just assume it was a baby spit up.

Thanks.

Just got off today... There was most of what you mentioned and more... No more self serve in the buffet, no more self-serve creamer at sit down places... They poured it for you. Salt and pepper were given in little packets. Public bathroom doors propped open so people didn't touch those handles. Table tops were cleaned with sanitizer and a little note was put on them telling people not to sit there (until the disinfectant could work.) Glasses, coffee pots, and hair dryers were removed from cabins, no more ice in the ice buckets... It was extensive and I was glad for it. We were not infected. One lady we met at dinner got it pretty bad... Had two bags of fluid administered. Her husband did not get sick. Our steward said it was about 100 people total, and was likely picked up in Aruba. He was on the sanitation team... And looked to be doing a wonderful job getting the rooms very clean.

Just got off today... There was most of what you mentioned and more... No more self serve in the buffet, no more self-serve creamer at sit down places... They poured it for you. Salt and pepper were given in little packets. Public bathroom doors propped open so people didn't touch those handles. Table tops were cleaned with sanitizer and a little note was put on them telling people not to sit there (until the disinfectant could work.) Glasses, coffee pots, and hair dryers were removed from cabins, no more ice in the ice buckets... It was extensive and I was glad for it. We were not infected. One lady we met at dinner got it pretty bad... Had two bags of fluid administered. Her husband did not get sick. Our steward said it was about 100 people total, and was likely picked up in Aruba. He was on the sanitation team... And looked to be doing a wonderful job getting the rooms very clean.

Thanks, Kierste,

Wow, I never heard of them removing hair dryers from cabins. Now that I know that could happen, I'll plan to bring my own, just in case. Must have hard for some folks who needed to use a hair dryer and didn't have one. :eek:

The hairdryers were removed from the sick cabins... But our steward said they would be removing them all and sanitizing them... Maybe they would be back in soon. We lost our coffee pot pretty quickly because we weren't using it. Our steward let my mom keep hers as long as he could before he had to take it too... Which was like two days ago.

I didn't realize they removed all that stuff from the rooms. It is good see all the things they do to stop the spread. And the people on the ship tonight have a ship that is cleaner than the first sailing. :)

Looks like the Pearl was released and set sale around 9PM this evening, 5 hours late. Having disembarked the Pearl this morning, I commend the the extreme efforts the crew went through today to get the ship cleaned, disinfected, and certified for departure. This crew made our cruise the past 11 days the best cruise to date.