Cameras and cell phones in St. Petersburg museums

We are planning one of the 2-day group tours in St. Petersburg. We are both decent amateur photographers and will bring some "real" cameras. But of course lots of people just use a cell phone or tablet. A permit / sticker for photography is included with each museum ticket where needed. Does this mean that each of us can use only a single camera? Or are we permitted to use both our cameras plus our cell phones? If not, are we permitted to bring both into the museum and just use the one, or will we need to check the cell phones at the entrance. Or just mute them and keep in pockets? :D

If you have one big camera per person I don't think they would check your bags for cell phones and tablets as well. But as far as I understand you can not use professional equipment in the museums even if you have a permit. So for instance you can not use a tripod. Also even with a permit there are certain rooms in the museums where you can not take pictures at all, like the Amber room in Catherine's palace for instance.

Yes, in museum situations you must rely on a fast stabilized lens. What I'm really getting at is whether anyone has had / seen trouble when using both a camera and a cell phone in SPb museums / sites.

Another potential issue comes to mind: what about shooting video? Everything we will bring, cameras and cellphones, also shoots video. Really, how could they tell what was being recorded, but I wonder if that is possibly an issue?

Thanks!

Are you using one of the major tour guide agencies? You should contact them for guidance. I don't recall receiving any sort of sticker. The Russians want you to stay by your guide. As long as you do that there should be no problems.

If memory holds, you were allowed one camera per group,(family) and if you wanted more, you had to pay something like $12 a camera extra.

It's been a few years now, so things might have changed.

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...

When we visited two years ago with a 2-day Alla tour the only photography restriction was the Amber Room in Katherine's Palace. DH used both his camera and his phone, I used my camera, and sons both used their phones. No extra charge for anything.

Yes, in museum situations you must rely on a fast stabilized lens. What I'm really getting at is whether anyone has had / seen trouble when using both a camera and a cell phone in SPb museums / sites.

Another potential issue comes to mind: what about shooting video? Everything we will bring, cameras and cellphones, also shoots video. Really, how could they tell what was being recorded, but I wonder if that is possibly an issue?

Thanks!

As others have said, the situation seems relaxed to the point that no-one cares what you do (except in the Amber Room, where photography is prohibited presumably to keep the flow of people moving). I only took video and no-one batted an eyelid. All the best, Tony