Brown Bear Excursions

Off2seeAlaska

Hello helpful cruisers!

My husband and I will be cruising on Radiance of the Seas to Alaska on August 21st. (itinerary of our shore times below)

My husband would really like to see Grizzly bears.

I have looked at several different companies that offer these options as a shore excursion.

It's all a bit overwhelming, and I don't want to commit to some of the high prices without more information.

My main concern, of course is that the excursions will fit in the time frame we have ashore.

I have three main questions that I would love some help with.

1.I don't know how long it will take us to get off the ship at each port or what time we should be back in order to be aboard for

departure.

2. Are there some great companies that I should contact

(or terrible ones to avoid?) This is Subjective I know, but from your experiences, would you recommend one.

3. Are there ports that we should just explore on our own and enjoy without planning an excursion and ones that we should NOT Miss

(ie; Misty Fjords) again, just from your experience...

We love to hike, we're really active and were looking at Kayaking in to see the bears at Admiralty Island. (Has anyone done this?? And with Whom??)

Thank You so much for any input!

Ketchikan 6am-4pm Docked

Icy Straight 9am-6pm Tendered

Juneau 7am- 830pm Docked

Skagway 7am-430pm Docked

If you want to see bears at Pack Creek, you need a fly in out of Juneau and forget the kayaking. :) Those are multiday trips aren't they? Even if not, you have far more viewing on land. Your first search needs to be the salmon runs and when it is peak.

Your other option is a bear search out of Hoonah, where I highly recommend Teckk Outfitters.

I suggest you take a closer look at what each port offers. Read over the shore excursion lists and determine what tours may be of interest?

EVERY port can be "explored" on your own along with every one can be packed with numerous tours. I never recommend not having "plans". There are "not misses" enough for 25 trips. So take some time, make lists and keep fine tuning your ideas.

If you want to see bears at Pack Creek, you need a fly in out of Juneau and forget the kayaking. :) Those are multiday trips aren't they? Even if not, you have far more viewing on land. Your first search needs to be the salmon runs and when it is peak.

Your other option is a bear search out of Hoonah, where I highly recommend Teckk Outfitters.

I suggest you take a closer look at what each port offers. Read over the shore excursion lists and determine what tours may be of interest?

EVERY port can be "explored" on your own along with every one can be packed with numerous tours. I never recommend not having "plans". There are "not misses" enough for 25 trips. So take some time, make lists and keep fine tuning your ideas.

:)

Thank You for your input!!