Recent Mexican Riveria cruise from a Carribean veteran.

My family and I recently finished a 7 day Mexican Riveria cruise from Long Beach. We normally spend our Spring breaks cruising the Carribean. I am going to elaborate on the differences to aid other typical Carribean cruisers who are considering cruising the Pacific.

1. Even with a non stop Delta flight, it's a long flight and a long day going from Orlando to LAX. I recommend a good book and an aisle seat. LAX was not nearly as bad as its reputation. We used Prime Time Shuttle to get to and from the port. They were outstanding.

2. The Pacific is cooler and wilder than the Carribean. No one in our family got seasick but we all noticed that the Carnival Miracle had more roll to it compared to a Carribean foray. The air is much cooler too. During the first sea day outbound and the final two sea days inbound, the air was much cooler and more windy to the point of making of sunbathing uncomfortable. No rain but a mixture of partly cloudy and cloudy and a lot of wind. Lots of deck chairs were available on all three sea days. That never happens in the Carribean. The air was considerably warmer during the three port days (Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta). In fact the weather was perfect for all 3 port days. A little windy.

I will continue soon.

We have cruised the Mexican Riviera twice and while I like it, I prefer the Caribbean. We cruise the MR because we live very close to Long Beach, so we can avoid the airfare, which saves us a lot.

The OP is right about the temps. I've often sat on wearing a light jacket or sweatshirt, but I'm from California. Someone from up north would probably think it's fine. To get the most out of your sea days, I would cruise this area in the summer. Btw, CA is prone to what we call "June Gloom," overcast and kind of foggy weather, but then there will be really hot days thrown in there too.

We have cruised the Mexican Riviera twice and while I like it, I prefer the Caribbean. We cruise the MR because we live very close to Long Beach, so we can avoid the airfare, which saves us a lot.

The OP is right about the temps. I've often sat on wearing a light jacket or sweatshirt, but I'm from California. Someone from up north would probably think it's fine. To get the most out of your sea days, I would cruise this area in the summer. Btw, CA is prone to what we call "June Gloom," overcast and kind of foggy weather, but then there will be really hot days thrown in there too.

Sea day temps= true.

But, Mex Riv in summer months can be very hot. Won't do them again in August, Sept...

Sea day temps= true.

But, Mex Riv in summer months can be very hot. Won't do them again in August, Sept...

True. July would probably be ideal. August and September are hot! We spend most of our time in the water anyway, so it doesn't matter that much to us :)

We had 88 degree sea days in February this year on the Miracle but had cold days in May out of Miami a few years ago. You just never know what weather you are in in for when you book months out!

In my experience, this week right now is the best weather. We've gone this week 2x...in 2009 and 2010 and both times had great weather. This year going 1 month later. I hope it will be warm and not rainy.

March/April make for cooler sea days to the MR but nice port days. August is better sea days but then the ports are 95 degrees with similar humidity! August was awesome for lightning shows though.

Edited by n6uqqq