Thinking of choosing Carnival for the first time

We have stayed away from Carnival in the past as we had heard some bad things, but are wanting to give a great itinerary on the Dream a try. Can anyone shed some light on what we can expect on the Dream?

A little background on us. I am 42 (43 at sailing on 1/3/2016) and my husband will be 40 soon. We have usually sailed with Royal Caribbean or NCL. We are not snobs and usually go with the flow so please don't think bad of us for not trying Carnival in the past. We like longer cruises and Carnival usually doesn't have them except for Hawaii cruises from the West Coast.

We are staying away from older ships on Carnival as well as other cruise lines as we like newer ships when we can get them. The Dream is pretty new and as stated we also like longer cruises so this one is perfect. It leaves from New Orleans and ends in San Juan. It is 11 days long, our favorite length and has a great itinerary as well.

What can we expect from Carnival in general? Is it a real party crowd? We are hoping for some fun but relaxation as well. We like to have fun, but are not into waking up with a hangover each day either. We are moderate drinkers and do drink more on cruises, but more than likely will not party enough to get the drink package.

Anything special to help us make a decision to try Carnival?

We have stayed away from Carnival in the past as we had heard some bad things, but are wanting to give a great itinerary on the Dream a try. Can anyone shed some light on what we can expect on the Dream?

A little background on us. I am 42 (43 at sailing on 1/3/2016) and my husband will be 40 soon. We have usually sailed with Royal Caribbean or NCL. We are not snobs and usually go with the flow so please don't think bad of us for not trying Carnival in the past. We like longer cruises and Carnival usually doesn't have them except for Hawaii cruises from the West Coast.

We are staying away from older ships on Carnival as well as other cruise lines as we like newer ships when we can get them. The Dream is pretty new and as stated we also like longer cruises so this one is perfect. It leaves from New Orleans and ends in San Juan. It is 11 days long, our favorite length and has a great itinerary as well.

What can we expect from Carnival in general? Is it a real party crowd? We are hoping for some fun but relaxation as well. We like to have fun, but are not into waking up with a hangover each day either. We are moderate drinkers and do drink more on cruises, but more than likely will not party enough to get the drink package.

Anything special to help us make a decision to try Carnival?

Hi, Samantha. We're in our 70s and love Carnival. We're certainly not party people. As long as you don't cruise during Spring break, etc. it's usually a great group of people sailing.

With the cruise that you are looking at, since it's a longer cruise, it might be an older crowd (not old but not a lot of kids). That's what we've noticed when we take an 8 day cruise vs. 6 day. Since we only do B2Bs to get 14 days at sea, we've noticed a difference in clientele from the 6 day to the 8 day crown.

We know how you feel. We like the relaxed atmosphere also and generally stay away from wild cruisers. You won't really see much of them anyway. Dream, like Magic, is a really great ship. It's large enough to give you all the great relaxed experience you want--such as a serenity area and an adults-only area. The partiers will be in the piano bar and disco at night. The kids will be mostly around the water slides and Lido pool. The kids also have their own age-specific clubs for group activities. Be sure to try the Italian Restaurant (extra price evenings but included in fare for lunch) and the Steakhouse (extra cost--reservations required) for relaxed dining. And there's plenty other things to do as well-Karaoke, Trivia, comedy shows, Bingo, etc.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise on Carnival Dream. Bon Voyage!

I've been on all three of those lines, the differences aren't huge. I'd say carnival has the most casual dress code, better food than ncl and friendlier staff than ncl too. Of course, those things can vary ship to ship even on the same line. The port you leave from also impacts the cruise atmosphere.

For years and years I stayed away from Carnival solely based on the stereotype that the ship was one big frat party. I intentionally avoided Carnival and only sailed on Royal and NCL until about 10 years ago when some friends of ours convinced me to go on a Carnival cruise with them. I begrudgingly caved in and went along.

Wow! Was I wrong. The price was reasonable, the accommodations on par with Royal and NCL, the food was better, the crews were excellent and the fellow passengers were anything but a frat party. My loyalty has since switched to Carnival because the experience is the same, if not better in many ways, and the fare is much more competitive.

You'll hear or read horror stories or "boo hoo there are no more chocolates on my pillow at night " stories (many of which, I believe, are embellished or blown out of proportion), but honestly, just like anything else in life, the experience is what you make of it. If you step on board looking for every small thing to complain about, you'll probably end up hating it. However, if you go with an open mind and just go with the flow and don't sweat the small stuff, you'll find that it is a fantastic experience.

At a minimum, we cruise twice a year and in the past 10 years, I have only cruised on Carnival except for one trip when we returned to Royal. Give it a shot. You'll be glad that you did.

The people that have NOT sailed Carnival have a vastly different opinion of what it is like vs people who HAVE sailed Carnival.

When you hear negative things about it being a drunken, frat filled, party cruise line make sure to ask if they have actually SAILED on Carnival.

The people that have NOT sailed Carnival have a vastly different opinion of what it is like vs people who HAVE sailed Carnival.

When you hear negative things about it being a drunken, frat filled, party cruise line make sure to ask if they have actually SAILED on Carnival.

I think you are correct. I have to convince my husband to go...lol. I am sold on the itinerary alone on this one and with it being the Dream makes it even better as it is a newer, bigger ship. The reason I asked here was I wanted an opinion/information from Carnival cruisers.

I have sailed on Carnival, and if the OP had said that they were sailing on a 3 night Ecstasy weekend cruise from Miami, then I would have told them that it would be a "drunken, party cruise" as you say. Been on those several times and that's what I've experienced (I may have even "participated" in the drunken party!)

But the OP is sailing on an 11 night cruise off season aboard the Dream. Demographics will most likely lean towards an older, more traveled, and sedated clientele. I believe that they will thoroughly enjoy the cruise. Dream is one of our favorite Carnival ships.

Hi, Samantha. We're in our 70s and love Carnival. We're certainly not party people. As long as you don't cruise during Spring break, etc. it's usually a great group of people sailing.

With the cruise that you are looking at, since it's a longer cruise, it might be an older crowd (not old but not a lot of kids). That's what we've noticed when we take an 8 day cruise vs. 6 day. Since we only do B2Bs to get 14 days at sea, we've noticed a difference in clientele from the 6 day to the 8 day crown.

Now this post scares me. I just booked a 7 day cruise on the Valor for the first week of March 2016. Due to vacation circumstances, this is the only week we could sail. I realize that this is the start of Spring Break for some. We have sailed this week on Celebrity and Royal and never had a bad experience. Did I make a mistake booking this cruise?

Now this post scares me. I just booked a 7 day cruise on the Valor for the first week of March 2016. Due to vacation circumstances, this is the only week we could sail. I realize that this is the start of Spring Break for some. We have sailed this week on Celebrity and Royal and never had a bad experience. Did I make a mistake booking this cruise?

Absolutely not. You shouldn't let one obviously benign comment deter you from cruising. You'll have a good time regardless.

For every one complaint, there are probably 100 unsung compliments that you'll never hear about because mostly people tend to report the bad things and not discuss the good things.

Absolutely not. I wouldn't worry one bit. Yes you'll have a handful of spring breakers but I agree with the above comments that most spring breakers stick to the shorter cruises. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the encouragement. We travel to Ft. Lauderdale every year on Spring Break with all the college Spring Breakers and never had a bad experience. I know there will always be an exception, a couple of bad apples, etc., just hoping that is not the norm.

We've sailed RC four times HAL once and Carnival twice. I had the same fears you did. Believe me, they are unfounded. What I found was, granted, a more casual style of dress. But the cruisers we encountered (leaving from a southern port) were low key courteous individuals with no entitlement attitude. Plus, they were not afraid to supervise and correct their children. I think you have every reason to look forward to your Carnival cruise.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

A little background on us. I am 42 (43 at sailing on 1/3/2016) and my husband will be 40 soon. We have usually sailed with Royal Caribbean or NCL. We are not snobs and usually go with the flow so please don't think bad of us for not trying Carnival in the past.

Since you have been happy with RCCL and NCL, there is no reason you would not enjoy taking a Carnival cruise.

We actually find all three of these to be very much alike. ;)

LuLu

I have sailed on Carnival, and if the OP had said that they were sailing on a 3 night Ecstasy weekend cruise from Miami, then I would have told them that it would be a "drunken, party cruise" as you say. Been on those several times and that's what I've experienced (I may have even "participated" in the drunken party!)

But the OP is sailing on an 11 night cruise off season aboard the Dream. Demographics will most likely lean towards an older, more traveled, and sedated clientele. I believe that they will thoroughly enjoy the cruise. Dream is one of our favorite Carnival ships.

Based on our experience this is true of ALL lines. The "party" cruises aren't any one line. They're the 3 and 4 day cruises on ALL lines. The absolute wildest cruise we've ever taken was a 4 day on RCCL and we hated it. We've never seen anything like that on Carnival...and it wasn't even spring break!!! :eek:

OP...Carnival is a fabulous cruise line and the Dream is a great ship. Don't buy the hype, usually coming from the mouths of people who have either never sailed Carnival or have only done one 4 day on the oldest ship in the fleet and just can't fathom why it didn't compare to that 9 day on Independence of the Seas. ;):):D

Hey, neighbor Bob (we're in Greensboro), I totally agree! Sometimes people who haven't experienced something are the most vocal about it.

Thanks for all the encouragement! I have talked to DH and he has agreed this is the one for us this coming year. I can't wait! We are booking through our TA tomorrow.

I am sure we will have a great time and maybe we will have a new cruise line to look at every year.

I've been on a 4, 5, and 7 day cruise. The less days usually have the "party animals" on it. The more days the more serene . I bet the 11 day is amazing! y'all will have fun!

I agree - and I have friends who cruise Carnival 5-6 times a year. Usually there are only rowdy folks on the short cruises. Single - partying folks just do the weekend - getaway cheaper cruises.

We took our two younger daughters on a spring break 7-nighter out of Tampa last year and there were NO issues at all.