Suite Recommendations on the Diamond Princess?

peterspca90732

Contemplating a Sydney Auckland cruise on the Diamond Princess and thinking of a mid-ship Penthouse Suite. Previously cruised on the Island in a Vista Suite which we really liked. Is there any/much of a difference between a Vista and Penthouse on the Diamond? Any recommendations?

Many thanks!

I love the mid ship Penthouse suites on the older Grand class ships, including the Diamond Princess. They are located on Carible Deck and have lovely deep balconies with no obstructing beams like many of the aft Vista suites. Also, no loud wake sounds that can interfere with quiet conversation. View from both aft and midship suites are wonderful. But I do like the ability to see where I'm going and not just where I've been! Also, some of the aft Vista Suites do not have shelving in the bathroom sink area, just a limited amount of surface space next to the sink. Vista Suites do not normally have desks in the living room area, just a small side table.

I've sailed in a number of full suites on Princess. The mid ship PH suites on Caribe deck (but not on the newer ships where they are on Riviera Deck) are my favorite. On the newer ships (Crown, Emerald, Ruby, etc) PH suites aft (also usually on Caribe Deck) are a close second. I also like the Vista Suites on Dolphin Deck because of the large decks with an unobtrusive beam but not those on Emerald Deck because of the obtrusive, in my mind, beam and the extremely loud wake noise which sounds like you're inside a washing machine. That being said, I've had great cruises and loved all the suites I've been in!

Whichever one you choose, I know you'll enjoy.

Edited by freetocruise

I love the mid ship Penthouse suites on the older Grand class ships, including the Diamond Princess. They are located on Carible Deck and have lovely deep balconies with no obstructing beams like many of the aft Vista suites.

That being said, I've had great cruises and loved all the suites I've been in!

We agree that whichever suite you choose you will simply love it and of course you are going to be spoiled rotten! :eek: :p

Relax & Enjoy!

I love the mid ship Penthouse suites on the older Grand class ships, including the Diamond Princess. They are located on Carible Deck and have lovely deep balconies with no obstructing beams like many of the aft Vista suites. Also, no loud wake sounds that can interfere with quiet conversation. View from both aft and midship suites are wonderful. But I do like the ability to see where I'm going and not just where I've been! Also, some of the aft Vista Suites do not have shelving in the bathroom sink area, just a limited amount of surface space next to the sink. Vista Suites do not normally have desks in the living room area, just a small side table.

I've sailed in a number of full suites on Princess. The mid ship PH suites on Caribe deck (but not on the newer ships where they are on Riviera Deck) are my favorite. On the newer ships (Crown, Emerald, Ruby, etc) PH suites aft (also usually on Caribe Deck) are a close second. I also like the Vista Suites on Dolphin Deck because of the large decks with an unobtrusive beam but not those on Emerald Deck because of the obtrusive, in my mind, beam and the extremely loud wake noise which sounds like you're inside a washing machine. That being said, I've had great cruises and loved all the suites I've been in!

We haven't been in a Caribe PH suite but I will agree that the balconies on the Riviera deck PH suites are too small. Been in a Dolphin deck Vista suite and enjoyed the balcony size and wake view (without the potentially excessive wake noise). With significant scenic cruising such as the Alaskan Inside Passage, the Stockholm Archipelago or the Beagle Channel I would go for the Caribe deck PH's. Otherwise it would be the Dolphin deck Vista suites.

Thanks everyone for your comments! Pros and cons for each. I agree about being spoiled with a suite, thats why we want to splurge again plus its another 15 day adventure so the added space is a real plus. When viewing the floor plan for Vista and PH suites, they appear almost exactly the same, thus my curiosity.

If it was me' date=' I would book one of the aft facing vista suites on Dolphin Deck.

Great balconies![/quote']

We have been on diamond princess twice. Both times we had suites. Penthouse suite c418 Vancouver to Beijing. And premium suite c107 Singapore to Beijing. We loved them both. C107 is like a little apartment the bedroom has a door. The bathroom in the penthouse suite is awesome. Large tub midship

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds nice!

How are the balconies?

Is it rough up front?

Thanks!

The balcony for premium suite c107 is large. It raps around to the front of the ship. Only drawback is you can not have the light on in the bedroom with the curtain open when the ship is at sea. The bridge called one night and ask us to close the curtain. Penthouse suite c 418 has a large balcony also very nice for sun tanning. I like c107 because it is apartment like with a huge balcony. C418 has a very nice bathroom with a large jacuzzi tub separate shower and separate toilet and sink.

• 7 months later...

We are booked for suite A104 "Acapulco" next week. Is there someone that has been in that suite before and can comment? On the deck plan it shows pretty large. I read somewhere it can be windy on the balcony. Would love to hear from experienced cruisers.

Don't really care for the forward-facing suites. The bedroom door in nice but, in comparison to mid-ship or aft suites, that's about it. The huge balcony is nice in port, but unusable when underway--no wind break. The bathroom is a mini-suite bathroom--no separate shower; tile instead of stone. The sitting room feels cramped, has white laminate cabinets (as opposed to wood), and no bar.

If offered as a free upgrade I'd say yes, but certainly wouldn't pay a premium for one.

We love the aft suites. The S3 suites on Caribe deck have a huge balcony, but the cabin interior is smaller than the S6 suites on the same deck. The difference is that the S3 balcony is larger and totally unobstructed. We actually preferred the S6 suite because of the larger interior. We found we just did not need that much balcony for just the two of us. The S6 balcony worked well, and the obstruction was no big deal. Watching the wake is so calming. Also, there was quite a large price difference between the two that we felt did not justify getting the S3.

I would not take a forward suite with a balcony - way too windy while underway to use the balcony.

Edited by DebJ14