First Time in Seattle

We've cruised a lot over the years but this summer will be our first trip to Seattle. Are taxi's easy to get going from the Pier to the Airport? Perhaps we will try to reserve a car service, any suggestions on a good car service? We will be at Pier 91 in July.

Edited by Cruising_Tiger

I just copied this from a link.

Taxi and Limos

Taxi and limo service are available from Sea-Tac airport as well as from any hotel or lodging facility in the Greater Seattle area. Only credentialed taxi cabs and limos are allowed to operate from the airport. Yellow Cab is the provider from Sea-Tac, and the rates are predetermined by city regulations. All return trips from the downtown area, including the waterfront, back to the airport are subject to a flat fee. If there are several people in your traveling party, taxis are a viable option compared to paying separate tickets for each person on a shuttle bus. STILA provides imousines and town cars, and are accessed at either the ground transportation area or in front of baggage claim.

Link Light Rail

Seattle's Link Light Rail service is the most affordable of all options for transportation into the downtown area. Trains depart from the airport every seven to 15 minutes and arrive at Westlake Center, which is an approximately 15-minute walk down to the cruise piers. If you are carrying bags, it can be difficult to navigate through the crowded tourist sections of the city on the way to the docks, so consider hailing a taxi outside the light-rail station. Fares are nominal for the short distance to the waterfront.

Airport Information

Ground transportation services are located in the parking garage adjacent to the passenger terminals at Sea-Tac Airport. The link light-rail station is connected to the fourth floor of the garage, with trains arriving and departing on the platform level of the station. A covered walkway is well lit and directional signs are prominent. Taxis depart from the third level of the parking garage. Shuttle Express and Downtown Airporter pick up passengers from Islands 1 and 3 on the third level.

I hope this helps some. It is a fair ways from the pier to the airport so I would think a taxi would be expensive. Maybe you could ask on your roll call for someone to share with you?

Edited by TeaBag

Since you have not been to Seattle, let me reiterate the mention of "hills" in reference to the light rail option. Do not attempt to walk from Pier 91 to the station with cruise luggage. Not only is it uphill, it's a rather steep uphill.

If you have not joined the Roll Call for your cruise, please do so. There might be others on your sailing that have arranged transportation and have space available for you, or have suggestions in addition to the West Coast Departures recommendations.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Pier 91 back to the airport via Light Rail either merits an UberX ride to Westlake Center or Metro Bus - - there is information in FAQ at the top of this board. The stairs from the pier to the bus stop are a killer. Miserable going up with luggage. You're better off to walk a little farther and use the Galer Street route described in the FAQ.

Cheapest non-shared ride from the airport will be UberX or Lyft - details in the last post of the FAQ on how to pick either up near the airport.

Pier 91 isn't within the 'downtown' area that qualifies for the $40 service to the airport.

A car from the taxi line will cost around $50. There will be plenty of taxis but it can be a wait. There will also be shuttle service ... they fill up and leave. Seattle Express is $12 pp. Not sure about Shuttle Express price.

If you're in a rush to catch a flight at 11am, reserve a taxi or car. I've used the flat rate taxi service, http://www.eastsideforhire.com which is $35.

for two people or more do not use a shuttle. The cost is more than a private taxi. Most of the cruise lines are charging $25 pp. Shuttleexpress.com was charging $22 pp. For the slight difference its better to take your own taxi. Flatrateforhire.com

you can call or text and they will pick you up and take you to airport for a flat rate. There are times in Seattle where hwy 99 is closed and if you end up on one of those days or during the Gay Pride Parade or Seafair weekend you do not want to be in a metered taxi that charges $.50 a minute while waiting in traffic. I'm very unfamiliar with Uber type services and since you can't find the rates out until you install their apps for many people its not a practical solution.

Pier 91 isn't within the 'downtown' area that qualifies for the $40 service to the airport.

A car from the taxi line will cost around $50. There will be plenty of taxis but it can be a wait. There will also be shuttle service ... they fill up and leave. Seattle Express is $12 pp. Not sure about Shuttle Express price.

If you're in a rush to catch a flight at 11am, reserve a taxi or car. I've used the flat rate taxi service, www.eastsideforhire.com which is $35.

We're going to have 4 people + all the luggage. Too much for standard car, and we prefer to ride in the same vehicle as a group. I've priced AlreadyThereTownCar for a private van/SUV between Pier 91 and Sea-Tac (or airport hotels) and they want $85 (+20% tip) each way.

Seattle Express' flat $12 pp looks like the best deal for 4 people. (Shuttle Express wants $22 pp). Has anyone here used Seattle Express? Do they make a bunch of stops along the way? We're staying at Cedarbrook Lodge (near Sea-Tac) before the cruise, and are looking for transfers from hotel to Pier 91, then Pier 91 to Sea-Tac after. I'm only finding a few mentions of them in TripAdvisor and it's usually to report displeasure with port pickups.

I'm also waiting for an email reply from eastsideforhire to see if they have SUVs/minivans for 4 people+luggage. Their website only shows Priuses in the pictures and no mention at all of their vehicle fleet (I would have hoped for more info on the website).

Edited by dbsb3233

I keep seeing references to STILA, but I can't find a website for them. Maybe it's by a different name (?).

Do they only do airport pickups, or do they pick up from other locations as well (like airport hotel to pier 91, and pier 91 to airport)? Do they have SUVs or Minivans for 4 people+luggage?

Thanks.

I keep seeing references to STILA, but I can't find a website for them. Maybe it's by a different name (?).

Do they only do airport pickups, or do they pick up from other locations as well (like airport hotel to pier 91, and pier 91 to airport)? Do they have SUVs or Minivans for 4 people+luggage?

Thanks.

Stila info is in the Port web site. They have all different sized vehicles in the garage; I've seen towncars, Escalades, Suburbans, limos,

http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Parking-and-Transportation/Ground-Transportation/Pages/Taxis-and-Limos.aspx

I remember someone last yr who needed a larger car from flatrateforhire. They got a minivan .... instead of being $29 to downtown it was $35.

Seattle Express only provides service from pier to hotel or pier to airport. The only info I've read from folks is a direct ride from pier to airport but I would call to verify if time is critical.

BTW, Seatac is a good 30 minute drive from pier 91, so $85 isn't exorbitant.

I've only had 1 occasion to use a limo and was happy with Bayview altho I thought it was pricey (to take my staff to lunch). I just read a a family trip report who used Century and were very happy.

Edited by mapleleaves

We're going to have 4 people + all the luggage. Too much for standard car, and we prefer to ride in the same vehicle as a group. I've priced AlreadyThereTownCar for a private van/SUV between Pier 91 and Sea-Tac (or airport hotels) and they want $85 (+20% tip) each way.

Seattle Express' flat $12 pp looks like the best deal for 4 people. (Shuttle Express wants $22 pp). Has anyone here used Seattle Express? Do they make a bunch of stops along the way? We're staying at Cedarbrook Lodge (near Sea-Tac) before the cruise, and are looking for transfers from hotel to Pier 91, then Pier 91 to Sea-Tac after. I'm only finding a few mentions of them in TripAdvisor and it's usually to report displeasure with port pickups.

I'm also waiting for an email reply from eastsideforhire to see if they have SUVs/minivans for 4 people+luggage. Their website only shows Priuses in the pictures and no mention at all of their vehicle fleet (I would have hoped for more info on the website).

The "UberXL" or SUV options on Uber will also provide either a crossover/minivan (XL) or large SUV (Suburban/Escalade/Expedition) that will comfortably handle 4+ luggage. The SUV option is $89-115 estimate from Cedarbrook (non-rush-hour is almost certainly the lower end of the band) and the XL option $55-73. Tipping is not expected for Uber services although a few bucks cash per bag is a nice touch. LyftPlus guarantees seating for six for 1.5X the usual Lyft price. I've never had either one fail to pick me up within minutes of the request in hundreds(!) of rides over the last two and a half years.

Stila info is in the Port web site. They have all different sized vehicles in the garage; I've seen towncars, Escalades, Suburbans, limos,

http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Parking-and-Transportation/Ground-Transportation/Pages/Taxis-and-Limos.aspx

I remember someone last yr who needed a larger car from flatrateforhire. They got a minivan .... instead of being $29 to downtown it was $35.

Seattle Express only provides service from pier to hotel or pier to airport. The only info I've read from folks is a direct ride from pier to airport but I would call to verify if time is critical.

BTW, Seatac is a good 30 minute drive from pier 91, so $85 isn't exorbitant.

I've only had 1 occasion to use a limo and was happy with Bayview altho I thought it was pricey (to take my staff to lunch). I just read a a family trip report who used Century and were very happy.

Thanks. That's the only website reference I could find for STILA too, and it's woefully scant. I had forgotten that they listed SUVs there as an option, which is good. But I hate that they appear to do everything by phone only (or in person at the airport parking garage). I just prefer to look up info on websites and do business by email, so I have a copy of everything. Makes it much easier when prepping for a trip. My friends call me 'anal' for that, but they really appreciate when I'm the one handling all the travel arrangements for our little group and have everything all taken care of ahead of time. ;)

I'm just disappointed that STILA doesn't appear to list prices or have online reservation or even list an email address anywhere.

Good to hear that flatrateforhire might have minivans. Still waiting on a response from eastsideforhire (which I understand is the same company) from my online inquiry yesterday (although I did get the immediate auto-response saying my request was received). Flatrate's website is broken for the Reservation link. That combined with no response in 24 hours doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in them, but I'll see what they say if/when they respond.

I'll check Century and Bayview too. Thanks for those suggestions.

$85+tip isn't unreasonable, and we'll pay it if SeattleExpress looks shaky. But at only 4x$12pp = $48 (plus a smaller tip since it's a shared ride) it's basically half the price for door-to-door service. Hard to beat that. But I'm curious to hear from people that have used them to hear how dependable they are, whether they do too many stops, etc.

Edited by dbsb3233

I'm booked with Seattle Express. They will bring you to the port from a Search hotel for $12 pp and port to airport $12 pp.

My flight changed to an earlier flight so I was nervous about making it to the airport in time so I emailed Seattle Express about my concerns. Matt insured me that the first shuttle leaves at 07:30 and a shuttle runs every 15 minutes from the port to airport. They do not wait until the shuttle is full and try to keep the shuttle's on a 15 minute cycle. I was really nervous since my 2:30 pm flight changed to 11:45 am and I was told there would be no problem getting me there in time.

If you email them Matt is the one who will respond and he will respond very quickly. At least that was the case for me.

The website is seattleexpress dot com

I'm booked with Seattle Express. They will bring you to the port from a Search hotel for $12 pp and port to airport $12 pp.

My flight changed to an earlier flight so I was nervous about making it to the airport in time so I emailed Seattle Express about my concerns. Matt insured me that the first shuttle leaves at 07:30 and a shuttle runs every 15 minutes from the port to airport. They do not wait until the shuttle is full and try to keep the shuttle's on a 15 minute cycle. I was really nervous since my 2:30 pm flight changed to 11:45 am and I was told there would be no problem getting me there in time.

If you email them Matt is the one who will respond and he will respond very quickly. At least that was the case for me.

The website is seattleexpress dot com

In searching other threads for Seattle Express, most seem to be reporting a positive results so I think I'll book with them too. Can't beat the price, especially for 4 people+luggage. For 2 or 3 people, there are some other options that look competitive (as others have noted in various threads). But 4 people is the "sour spot" where most of those others don't work so well (vehicles too small, and you pay closer to $100 with tip for a bigger vehicle). At $12 pp, Seattle Express looks unbeatable for door-to-door service.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

STILA's contract with Seattle is they are the sole taxi pick up AT Seatac

Airport, that is the only place they can pick up. Personally I use ABC Transportation, [town cars] Steve is the dispatcher 206 242 0102, cheaper than taxi's.